"Miltenberg - charming town at Main river" Miltenberg by Trekki

Miltenberg Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 222 photos

Miltenberg is one of these cute German villages which can easily compete with oh-so-famous Rothenburg ob der Tauber but are often even not known by many of the Germans. I would definitely never heard of it would it not be situated at the eastern foothills of Odenwald (famous forest in the southern parts of Hessen and northern parts of Baden-Württemberg). And in summer, right after my holiday in Sweden, I decided that it is time to do that short drive and go and visit Miltenberg. I was amazed and ashamed; amazed because it is so beautiful and ashamed because I did not come here earlier.

My Miltenberg description is rather “short”, I tried to avoid long tip this time but I think I can bring across the charm the city unfolded during this beautiful day in August 2009.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Miltenberg: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Apr 17, 2010

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Beautiful!

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Dec 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Yes I saw it, but many place there anyway (and the neighbour region has lovely towns too)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Dec 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Yes, Würzburg, Aschaffenburg, Seligenstadt, Amorbach, Michelstadt :-) But that is better in spring because of the beauty with spring flowers etc :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Me again, coming back to look at your updated Miltenberg page. Good that you took a guided walking tour from the tourist office. I have taken several guided walking tours in French cities lately and liked most of them -- all but one, in fact.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Dec 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Thank you dear Don for having walked through Miltenberg :-) I was there again yesterday and it is as charming as ever. Luckily the Christmas market is closed during the weekdays, because I am already almost bancrupt from visiting the markets in Speyer and Michelstadt :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What a wonderfull place with great halftimbered houses and a lot more surprises ! I agree about Rothenburg beeing overrated, but on the other side this also keeps away a lot of bad sides of mass-tourism from Miltenberg !

• flyingscot4's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Perfect. Reminds me of "Altes Haus" in Bacharach, and of Rüdesheim. I will try to get there in the Spring.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Ingrid, This is a Wow town! Your beautiful photo's and informative tips make it look and sound better to what I read yesterday. You have found our kind of town. I do hope that Church is open, fantastic, never seen anything like it!

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Oh Ingrid....thank you for pointing me in this direction! I just love this page!! :o) Can't wait to show hubby!! Thank you! :o) xx

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 2:12 AM

Superb new tips, Ingrid. Loved the one about the “Riesen”- . Good that they have restored the Jewish Ritual Baths. The sandstone carvings are lovely- hugs

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2010 at 5:31 AM

I've been through Miltenburg on my bicycle a few times, and we even had our staff outing here one year (Betriebsausflug), but there is so much I haven't seen yet! Funny that the old city jail is now a restaurant.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2010 at 8:57 AM

What a great place to just wander aimlessly around the streets, admiring those beautiful/interesting/funny details!! Brazilian Organic coffee? I think it can compete even with Colombian ;) Oh, I do miss the taste of it. Time to return to Brazil :)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Wow, your intro photo is awsome! Miltenberg seems to be a real gem and I am shocked to find that you have the first VT rated page on the city! Congratulations to you, shame to others! An outstanding page!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Miltenberg

Have you been to Miltenberg?