"Santa Cruz - country of serenity and magic" Provincia de Santa Cruz by Trekki
Provincia de Santa Cruz Travel Guide: 421 reviews and 1,159 photos
... and glaciers
Although Santa Cruz is the second biggest province of Argentina, it is the most sparsely populated one.
It is the province of huge sheep estancias and other livestock - and also hosts tourists, as it is the home of several famous landmarks.
Glaciar Perito Moreno is here, several miles east of El Calafate, the mysterious mountains El Cerro Torre and El Fitz Roy are found several miles north of El Calafate, in the small town of El Chaltén.
And if you look at the flag of Provincia de Santa Cruz, you can see Fitz Roy and the Southern Cross on it, together with the Sun - the symbol in Argentina's flag.
El Calafate would most probably be very unknown, wouldn't there be one of Argentinia's most famous landmark - El Glaciar Perito Moreno in Parque Nacional Los Glaciares.
Nearly all inhabitants of El Calafate do work in tourism.
It's located at the southeastern shore of Lago Argentino, one of Argentina's biggest glacier lake, on which's western part Glaciar Perito Moreno can be found.
El Calafate's name is originated in the blue wildberries "Calafate" (berberis buxifolia). The legend says that if you eat them, you will come back to Patagonia.
(the legend must be true - I did eat a lot, was there twice, and end of 2004 I'll return for the third time)
El Chaltén, the original name of Fitz Roy mountain in Patagonia's aborigine Tehuelche language, is the base town for exploring the magnificent mountain wilderness of Parque Nacional Los Glaciares' northern part.
Fitz Roy mountain and Cerro Torre stand up majestically against the blue sky and mark the boundary between the eternal ice of Southern Patagonian Ice Cap (in the west) and the pampa region in the west.
- Pros:magnificent glaciers, magic mountains and unpredictable weather
- Cons:(the unpredictable weather - if you don't like it )
- In a nutshell:Serenity
Patagonia is a marvellous country. But, it's well known or even famous for it's unpredictable weather - which on the... more travel advice
Travelling through southern Patagonia (either Argentina or Chile) seems to be endless. The busses are quite... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Provincia de Santa Cruz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Santa Cruz - country of serenity and magic"
- "Santa Cruz Province"
- "The best landscapes in Santa Cruz Province"
- "Santa Cruz"
- "Santa Cruz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Hotels in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Transportation in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Nightlife in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Restaurants in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Shopping in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- 21 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Provincia de Santa Cruz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Santa Cruz
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Euro 2016 - Last 16"
- updated a Provincia de Santa Cruz Travel Page "Santa Cruz - country of serenity and magic"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Be prepared for rain - rain - rain :-)"
- Wrote a Review Be prepared for rain - rain - rain :-) in Provincia de Santa Cruz Warnings and Dangers
Photos in Provincia de Santa CruzSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues