"The masterpiece of a mystic man" Top 5 Page for this destination Schloss Neuschwanstein by Trekki

Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 773 photos

„We need to create our own paradise, poetic sanctuaries, where we can attempt to forget – for some time – the dreadful times in which we live”.
This said Ludwig II, King of Bavaria.

No other words can better describe the whole complex – the castle, its setting on a high plateau in south-western Bavaria, surrounded by sparkling lakes, by magic and mystic Alpine mountains, by magnificent forests – all these guarantee incredible views, from any angle, inside the castle and anywhere outside. The complex creates sensations and emotions, it inspires the soul to get carried away in dreams and maybe even follow the dreams of the king. It calms down, it soothes, it re-ignites the flame of life.
This is what it did to me.
I felt humbleness and I am grateful – to King Ludwig II for having decided to build the castle here, in this surroundings and to the Bavarian Administration of State-Owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes for successfully making every effort to take away the “tourist trap” feeling.

I was most sceptic all these years and didn’t want to visit the castle because I feared the massive crowds. But then, on July 1, 2013, I overcame my prejudices and came to see it. It is beautiful, it is marvellous and of course millions of people want to see it. But I found it easy to be engrossed in the surroundings, the castle, and the interior. It was an eye opener, an easy abandoning of my previous prejudices. I am grateful to the staff at the ticket centre who politely and with patience answered my questions in context to ticket reservations for an upcoming visit of friends. I am grateful to the providers of Museum of Bavarian Kings, which was my first eye opener and so instructive about the historical context of the noble house of Wittelsbach, the oldest European dynasty, which Ludwig II and his father Max II were part of. And I am grateful to our guide who so vividly told us about the king, the rooms and the background of the castle.

All in all my visit made me realise how much I still have to learn about our history, how much I love these mountain settings, how much I love this southern part of Bavaria. And my visit inspired me to reconsider my plans for my new life – a move to this part of the world and the quest to look for possibilities in what I can do best – show visitors the magic of our country.

Join me on my tour to this masterpiece of a mystic man. Forgive me for being sarcastic in times. And keep in mind the words the king once said: “I want to remain forever an enigma, to myself and to others” – this is what will await you in Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castle - an eternal mystery - if you allow these feelings in your heart and soul.

Let’s start with the most important for a visit: => the ticket reservation

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Magic - enchanting - marvellous setting - incredible beauty!
  • Cons:Germany's most visited sight.
  • In a nutshell:It is all worth coming!
  • Last visit to Schloss Neuschwanstein: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2013

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM

You described this all in such poetic terms that it is most compelling! It is a popular tourist spot but one now, from your description of how it affected you,that I would certainly want to experience. Thank you!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM

A lovely page Ingrid full of helpful information and great photos! Thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories of our time spent here.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

WOW, Ingrid, thanks for sharing this. It is on the top of my list of places to visit, and I will for sure read your tips again before my visit there :)

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Congrats Ingrid on some splendid pages. Nice of you to give the heads-up on the viewpoints too.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos and all the excellent information on this beautiful area and castle. Hope to visit here someday!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Aug 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I thought the hotel arrangements which you gave such detailed information about sounded like a wonderful opportunity to enjoy this area longer and, as you mentioned, seeing it in winter would given the opportunity to see all of it from a different aspect.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Oh yes, I plan to book the winter fairy tale this winter - 4 days and hopefully with snow :-) It is just such a good arrangement :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Hello,Ingrid! Thanks for your great story and a lot of travel advice! Good for you!)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Well, this castle, and this page, certainly didn't disappoint! Not only was I blown away by the beauty of the castle and ts setting, I also enjoyed very much reading about your "change of heart" regarding it :-) Wonderful stuff!!

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Ingrid, these pages are wonderful, where exactly is this castle?, I would love to visit next year when I am there.

STEVE

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM

STEVE

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

That sounds doable - now. Don't know what will happen next year though, but I will mark the dates already :-))

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Wonderful many thanks :)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM

A super page, Ingrid! Good luck with your plans concerning the castle.

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Schloss Neuschwanstein

Have you been to Schloss Neuschwanstein?