"The masterpiece of a mystic man" Top 5 Page for this destination Schloss Neuschwanstein by Trekki
Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 773 photos
„We need to create our own paradise, poetic sanctuaries, where we can attempt to forget – for some time – the dreadful times in which we live”.
This said Ludwig II, King of Bavaria.
No other words can better describe the whole complex – the castle, its setting on a high plateau in south-western Bavaria, surrounded by sparkling lakes, by magic and mystic Alpine mountains, by magnificent forests – all these guarantee incredible views, from any angle, inside the castle and anywhere outside. The complex creates sensations and emotions, it inspires the soul to get carried away in dreams and maybe even follow the dreams of the king. It calms down, it soothes, it re-ignites the flame of life.
This is what it did to me.
I felt humbleness and I am grateful – to King Ludwig II for having decided to build the castle here, in this surroundings and to the Bavarian Administration of State-Owned Palaces, Gardens and Lakes for successfully making every effort to take away the “tourist trap” feeling.
I was most sceptic all these years and didn’t want to visit the castle because I feared the massive crowds. But then, on July 1, 2013, I overcame my prejudices and came to see it. It is beautiful, it is marvellous and of course millions of people want to see it. But I found it easy to be engrossed in the surroundings, the castle, and the interior. It was an eye opener, an easy abandoning of my previous prejudices. I am grateful to the staff at the ticket centre who politely and with patience answered my questions in context to ticket reservations for an upcoming visit of friends. I am grateful to the providers of Museum of Bavarian Kings, which was my first eye opener and so instructive about the historical context of the noble house of Wittelsbach, the oldest European dynasty, which Ludwig II and his father Max II were part of. And I am grateful to our guide who so vividly told us about the king, the rooms and the background of the castle.
All in all my visit made me realise how much I still have to learn about our history, how much I love these mountain settings, how much I love this southern part of Bavaria. And my visit inspired me to reconsider my plans for my new life – a move to this part of the world and the quest to look for possibilities in what I can do best – show visitors the magic of our country.
Join me on my tour to this masterpiece of a mystic man. Forgive me for being sarcastic in times. And keep in mind the words the king once said: “I want to remain forever an enigma, to myself and to others” – this is what will await you in Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castle - an eternal mystery - if you allow these feelings in your heart and soul.
Let’s start with the most important for a visit: => the ticket reservation
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Magic - enchanting - marvellous setting - incredible beauty!
- Cons:Germany's most visited sight.
- In a nutshell:It is all worth coming!
The castle, that’s what we all came for. We have dreamt of it since years – or haven’t dreamt of it but just are curious... more travel advice
Located in a central position of Hohenschwangau village, on the way from ticket centre to Museum of Bavarian Kings and... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the most beautiful place on the Earth!"
- "The masterpiece of a mystic man"
- "The fairy Tale castles"
- "The dream castle of King Ludwig"
- "Once upon a time.... Neuschwanstein Castle"
- "Ludvig II of Bavaria - the "mad" king of swans"
- "Welcome to magic world of Ludwig II"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Hotels in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Transportation in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Nightlife in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Restaurants in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Shopping in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Warnings and Dangers in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- 21 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Schloss Neuschwanstein?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloss Neuschwanstein
- Posted in Travel Garmisch-Partenkirchen Forum "Re: Small children to entertain!!"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Schloss Neuschwanstein tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "How to move up to Neuschwanstein Castle"
- updated a Schloss Neuschwanstein Travel Page "The masterpiece of a mystic man"
- Wrote a Review The castle - that's what we came for, didn't we? in Schloss Neuschwanstein Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 93 reviews, 421 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues