"Dedicated to my childhood fairy tale grove :-)" Niederheimbach by Trekki

Niederheimbach Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 15 photos

Thank you Mr. Lenz for rescuing them :-)

Niederheimbach is one of the villages along the UNESCO protected Rhein River valley. It is home of two castles, Heimburg Castle and Sooneck Castle. And then there is the fairy tale grove.....

Up to now, I have only visited the fairy tale statues, but will be back soon to see more of them and of course to visit the castles.
More images in my travelogue.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.

• Intro Updated Sep 9, 2011

• Feb 21, 2015 at 9:13 PM

I was a child in a military family living in Mainz. I will never forget walking along a magical fairy tale grove. I am working on a military career/life scrapbook for my dad and have some pictures of this place, I think. So far though the pictures shown do not look familiar. I have pictures of a gingerbread
    house, Hansel and Gretel ,and the donkey who spit gold coins. What an impression this place left on me! We were in Germany from 1960 through 1964. I would love to have some more old pictures of this place, if anyone can help.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I?m glad to learn that at least some of the statues have been saved and given a new home.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2011 at 5:41 AM

Oh this is lovely - I'm so pleased you found your fairy tale characters again! I never dreamt that this was there when we passed Niederheimbach on our cruise last year

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM

My favourite picture is the one with the dragon.Super!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM

nice to see these dwarfs and characters of the fairytales, they make a great contrast to the touristy side of the Rhine-valley ! ;-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2011 at 12:34 AM

A happy, sad and then a happy ending!
    Love them, glad they have been brought back to life!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM

There's no place like home, especially the home of childhood memories.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Oh, these sculptures are so cute!! It would be a pity to let the whole thing fall into decay. Good to hear that somebody finally decided to renovate it. I too remember from my childhood the statues of the dwarfs adorning our gardens, and was quite happy to see them again scattered around the garden of our hosts in Vis :)

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Niederheimbach

Have you been to Niederheimbach?