Rhodt unter Rietburg Local Custom Tips by Trekki
Rhodt unter Rietburg Local Customs: 2 reviews and 3 photos
This little Berliner decorates Rhodt
I don’t have the slightest idea why one of Berlin’s icons, the Ampelmann, is decorating parts of the pavement in Rhodt, but... it is there and funny enough, the little men form a path which leads to the centre of town. I have asked several locals if they know the story behind these cute guys but none had an idea. A mystery still to be solved!
The Ampelmann is a famous icon of Berlin, our capital city. It was once designed in Eastern Berlin and used throughout all ex-GDR. After the reunification, Berlin locals were up in arms at the idea that it would be replaced with the boring European symbol for pedestrian crossings. Luckily the protests were heard and now it is the official symbol at all electronic pedestrian crossings. Some western cities even adopted it.
Update, August 2012:
Thanks to Heike Lang, the friendly woman at Rhodt's tourist office, I have the story behind these cute little icons on the pavement: they are indeed meant to guide the visitors into the centre of Rhodt. And this is why I saw them on the pavement near our parking place.
The story is: follow the little men on the pavement and... you'll be there soon.
© Ingrid D., August 2011.
What a lovely idea: colourful distribution box
Already on our way from the parking lot to Rhodt’s centre and Theresienstrasse we saw these distribution boxes which are painted all over with wine and fruits and other colourful motifs. We saw even more in Theresienstrasse! After some research in www I found out that these paintings have been initiated by Rhodt Academy (unfortunately no website), when artist students have been inspired to paint 20 of these boxes with motifs representing “Mediterranean fruit garden”. I love the idea, homage to the very much Mediterranean climate in the region and the diversity of southern European fruit which grows here.
Rhodt’s tourist office provides a map with locations of each of these 20 boxes; a walking path through the village connects each of them.
© Ingrid D., August 2011.
More Reviews (4)
Trekki's Related Pages
Rhodt unter Rietburg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- Transportation in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- Restaurants in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- Shopping in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Rhodt unter Rietburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhodt unter Rietburg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Don't Copy if you cant..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Rhodt unter Rietburg tips
- updated a Rhodt unter Rietburg Travel Page "Rhodt: Palatinate peace and beauty"
- Uploaded a Photo to "More impressions of picturesque Rhodt"
- Wrote a Review A road to fall in love with:Theresienstrasse in Rhodt unter Rietburg Things to Do
Photos in Rhodt unter RietburgSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues