"Fascinating former monastery life: Rottenbuch" Rottenbuch by Trekki
Rottenbuch Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 72 photos
Rottenbuch is a small town amid rolling hills and farmland. It was founded in 1073, by Welf IV (Wikipedia is wrong here...) and Canon Regulars were called to settle here. Quickly it became centre of the region and education was one of the main concerns. The monastery was damaged several times in history and during secularisation in 1803 it was dissolved. But luckily the church was declared parish church; otherwise this splendid gem would be no more.
The town is really cute and easily walkable. It would even make a good base to explore the region, which is what I am considering for one of my next times. This time I stayed in nearby Steingaden, close to Wies Church to be precise. I was in Rottenbuch only once but liked it very much, especially the excellent café at the entrance of town.
The whole region is full of marvellous churches but also the hills and nearby mountains invite for hiking and biking. There is an interesting round trail devoted to milk, called Pfaffenwinkler Milchweg, approx. 4 km round trail with many explanatory signs about dairy farms in Bavaria. There is also the 85 km long hiking trail called Meditationsweg Ammergauer Alpen (Meditation Path Ammergau Alps), leading from Linderhof Castle to Wies Church. I have linked the German part of the website because it has a nice 15 min video at the bottom, but the English website is fully available as well. Then there are the so-called Schleierwasserfälle, vail waterfalls, of river Ammer, accessible only by hiking or by kayaking.
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip => here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
After my visit to Rottenbuch’s church and the monastery ground I was in desperate need of a coffee and Café am Tor... more travel advice
On the quite detailed map of Rottenbuch and surroundings inside of town I discovered a sign “Pestfriedhof” (pestilence... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Rottenbuch Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Rottenbuch
- Transportation in Rottenbuch
- Restaurants in Rottenbuch
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malletts Bay Hotels
- Vung Tau
- State of South Australia
- Sant'Agata Bolognese
- Hollingworth Lake Hotels
- Boscombe Hotels
- Banuang Daan Hotels
- Cape Canaveral Hotels
- Isla de Janitzio
- Westlake Village
- Provincia de Manabí
- Lord Howe Island
- Placencia Village Hotels
- Torre del Mar
Badges & Stats in Rottenbuch
- 14 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Rottenbuch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rottenbuch
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Where to go besides the..."
- updated a Rottenbuch Travel Page "Fascinating former monastery life: Rottenbuch"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The church's beautiful belltower"
- Wrote a Review Café am Tor: special place to have coffee and cake in Rottenbuch Restaurants
- Commented on one of globetrott's Rottenbuch travel pages
Photos in RottenbuchSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 398 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 77 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 55 reviews, 271 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 240 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 40 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues