Speyer Restaurant Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination

Speyer Restaurants: 31 reviews and 78 photos

- Speyer
Forum - Café im Museum: Coffee and cake, between musum visit :-) Forum - Café im Museum Review

The Historical Museum of the Palatinate is large. Very large. I can easily spend 3-4-5 hours inside, especially when they show their exciting special exhibitions. But one does not have to go outside for a coffee break because in the middle of the museum, between the old and new museum buildings is a lovely large foyer with a cafe. This foyer is nicely connecting both buildings and the old building structure is very intelligently integrated. I like the open architecture with the glass roof and the palm trees. The cafe offers freshly made cake and coffee and the prices are quite reasonable. I had cake and coffee here in 2011 with a friend but we both were so tired from the museum visit (or rather our feet were) that I completely forgot to take photos of the cheesecake I had.

Update, January 2016:
in the meantime I had another coffee and cheesecake with mandarins here and this time I managed to take a photo before ... it was gone :-)
Prices (Jan 2016): latte macchiato: 2,80 Euro, cakes: 2,80 Euro.
I should also mention that they serve specialties, depending on the special exhibitions in the museum. In January, while the exhibition about agents, spies, detectives was still running, they served kids' specials such as James Bond menu or Sherlock Holmes menu :-)
Prices of some dishes and snacks from their menu (Jan 2016): muffins: 2,80 Euro, donuts: 1,50 Euro, hot dogs: 2,50 Euro, soups, e.g. goulash soup, Palatinate potato soup, soup of the day: 4,90 Euro, beer: 2,70 Euro (for 0,33 l).

Entrance to cafe is free – also for people who do not visit the museum. Just enter the museum’s main door and tell the guards that you only want to have a coffee inside. (There are guards at each of the museum building entrances).

Quite often the foyer is also used for events, for lectures, for opening ceremonies before new special exhibitions.

Location of the cafe in the Historical Museum (1) on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., August 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Directions: Inside the Historical Museum of the Palatinate

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.museum.speyer.de/English/Visitor_Information/Museum_Cafe.htm

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Feb 5, 2016
Mushrooms in creamy sauce (2006) - Speyer

Mushrooms in creamy sauce (2006)

Domhof: Domhof's very good restaurant Domhof Review

In addition to the beer garden, Domhof has also a very good restaurant and of course the brewery. The selection of dishes is of course larger than in the beer garden and it is also open all year round. The prices are the same for restaurant and beer garden. They have a very large seating space, but because it is so popular, it will be crowded on weekends and event days, so reservation is highly recommended. They also cater groups, another reason for making reservations.

I was here quite often, mostly on cold days and then my most favourite dish was mushrooms in creamy sauce. But it is no longer on the menu. The dishes offered vary from soups to salads, steak (pork and beef), Palatinate specialities, Spätzle (the Swabian type of pasta), and also the stuffed potato rolls as a vegetarian dish. In addition they have specific theme weeks, such as “Oktoberfest” during October with Bavarian dishes and their beer, stuffed goose in the first weeks of November and game in the last weeks of November. Early December they have “Nikolausbockbier Anstich” (Santa Claus Bock tapping).

English is well spoken, often also other languages because they have waiters from all over Europe. They also have English menus. I also like their ambiance inside: various rooms so that one never has the feeling that it is crowded, nice decoration, varying with the season and of course beer related decoration.

Update, January 2016:
I was here recently with a colleague, we had lunch. He had liver from veal with potato puree and sauce (17,80 Euro) and I had "Käsespätzle", specific kind of pasta with cheese and roasted onions (12,80 Euro), all was fresh made and especially the Käsespätzle were very good.

Opening hours: daily from approx. 11:00 to midnight, for specific opening hours see -> website
(The kitchen is open until 22:00)

Location of (1) Domhof beer garden, (2) Domhof restaurant, (3) Domhof hotel on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), August 2015: text completely revised, photos exchanged, links repaired.

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Phone: Tel: +49 - 6232-6744-0

Theme: Local

Website: http://domhof.de/index.php/en/hausbrauerei-domhof/schlemmen-gb/speisekarten-gb/190-ganzjaehrige-speisekarte-2

• Updated Feb 5, 2016
Cafe Maximilian: Cafe Maximilian, good breakfast Café Maximilian Review

Near Altpörtel, Speyer’s beautiful old town gate is Cafe Maximilian. It is a very good place for breakfast, quick lunch and dinner, or just for a coffee or a drink and people watching.

In March 2015, when the weather was already quite sunny, I was here and had a late breakfast (it was too early for their quick lunch). They have a large variety of different breakfast types, from cereals to Munich breakfast (with pretzels), Farmer breakfast (with roasted potatoes and fried eggs) and their New York breakfast (with maple syrup and eggs Benedict). I wanted the Farmer breakfast because I didn’t had breakfast at home and had a long day ahead of me. It was very good and not at all heavy. Price was 7,20 Euro. I was also happy that they had Bionade, the organically made lemonade.

Other than breakfast they have very interesting options: they offer “quick lunch” between 11:30 and 14:00. This is a daily changing fixed menu with salad, main course and dessert for 5,90 Euro! Their main menus vary from large burgers, sandwiches, grilled feta cheese, various salads, baguettes, Flammkuchen (our “French pizza”), Palatinate specialities, pasta and steaks. And of course for the evenings they have a quite good variety of drinks and cocktails, including non alcoholic ones. Next time I might try one of the evening dishes.

Update, September 2015:
during one of my many visits to town, this time with Kathrin_E we decided we need a snack. We only wanted a coffee but then we saw that they had "New Wine" (Federweißer) and onion cake. This was enough for us to quickly change our plans. The wine was good, not too strong, and the onion cake was quite good (better than I'd expected from a cafe rather than a proper winery). Prices: 2,15 Euro for 0,2 litres of wine, 3,30 Euro for the onion cake.

Location of Cafe Maximilian (3) on Bing Maps.

Website: http://www.cafe-maximilian.de/quicklunch.html

• Updated Sep 6, 2015
Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff  (2008) - Speyer

Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff (2008)

Zum Alten Engel: Slow Food dining, excellent dishes, Alter Engel Zum Alten Engel Review

This restaurant is off the mainstreet but one more proof that the best not always in the centres. Once I saw the slow food logo in the window of this restaurant, which belongs to the Hotel Goldener Engel, I knew that I want to eat here one day. When I was in Speyer for an overnight stay in May 2008 I booked a table.

So I was anticipating excellent food experiences and I was not disappointed. The restaurant is located in an old vaulted cellar (photo 4), with many cosy little niches. It is sparsely decorated but this adds to the atmosphere: savouring dishes rather than the interior :-).

And then the dishes: .. inspiring and delicious! I had a season salad with wild herbs, a potato cakelet/fritter and ham as a starter (photo 3). Very good, especially the wild herb salad! I tried to identify the wild herbs, and to my delight found that there was even dandelion, something I only had during my childhood and it was good to see that this finds its way back onto our tables! As main course my buddy had liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut (photo 2) and she was much satisfied. I choose Beef Stroganoff (main photo) with wild herbs and it was also very good. Since we did not need to drive we could try local red wine – good too (although I forgot which one we had, it was a dry red wine). Their wine list is impressive: 36 pages with the excellent local/Palatinate wines of course but also wines from Australia, Chile, Spain, France, US and Italy.

At the end our bill was 50 € including espresso for both of us and a large bottle of water. However, note that these prices were from May 2008. It was not too bad for two people! The starters are all below 10 €, main dishes below 10 € for the Palatinate specials and 10-20 € for the ones with beef and fish and desserts are around 5 €.

Their menu is still good (now that I update this review in July 2015). The prices have slightly gone up but still, given the biological food and the Slow Food concept, they are not too high. They also have a good selection of vegetarian dishes, such as spinach dumplings from northern Italy, bread dumplings with creamy mushroom sauce and vegetarian pasta.
Highly recommendable!

Directions:
From Altpörtel (with the tower and the cathedral in your back) walk into the little street Mühlturmstrasse right hand side across the main street (Bahnhofstrasse). It is on your left after a couple of metres.

Location of Restaurant (and hotel) Alter Engel on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., May 2008 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), updates and photo exchange, August 2015.

Address: Mühlturmstrasse 7, 67346 Speyer

Directions: (see above)

Phone: + 49 (0) 62 32 - 7 09 14

Rating: 5

Website: http://www.zumaltenengel.de/kuechenzauber.htm

• Updated Aug 25, 2015
Domhof, stuffed potato rolls and salad (2006) - Speyer

Domhof, stuffed potato rolls and salad (2006)

Domhof with its charming beer garden Domhof Review

Domhof is a well known brewery and hotel in Speyer, located close by the cathedral. They have a separate beer garden, in between Domhof Hotel and the Domhof Restaurantand brewery building. With the large trees and a fountain in between the tables and chairs or benches it is an ideal retreat on a sunny day. From my experience it is very popular with cyclists, so during weekends it can be quite crowded. But ... remember that we are in Palatinate and this means that people will squeeze together to make room for new arriving people. Room is for approximately 100 guests. Service is very quick and very efficient.

I was here quite often because I like their dishes. Good quality, a good selection of snacks, vegetarian options, salads and Palatinate-Bavarian specialities. Somehow I mostly ended ordering their very delicious potato fritter rolls, stuffed with light cream cheese and herbs plus a fresh salad with a good dressing (8,90 Euro currently, August 2015). On another occasion I had the Palatinate dish of liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut and light brown sauce (8,90 Euro currently). Any of my friends and colleagues whom I took here were very satisfied. And since Domhof is a brewery, they have of course their own beer: light, dark or Weizen, in sizes of 0,3, 0,5 and 1 litre. They also have wine from Deidesheim (among the highest quality wines in Palatinate), digestives, juices and coffee and tea.

Since Domhof management is well aware that also foreign visitors come to the town, they have menu and beverage list also in English.

Outside the beer garden is enough room for the bikes. The ground is wheelchair accessible. Payment with credit cards is possible.

Opening hours: depending on the weather, but then between 11:00 and almost midnight, daily.

© Ingrid D., September 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), August 2015: text completely revised, photos exchanged, links repaired.

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Phone: 06232-6744-0

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.domhof.de/index.php/en/hausbrauerei-domhof/schlemmen-gb/speisekarten-gb/190-ganzjaehrige-speisekarte-2

• Updated Aug 13, 2015
Raspberry cream cake (2014) - Speyer

Raspberry cream cake (2014)

Cafe Schlosser: Café Schlosser: very good cake in the main street Café Schlosser Review

.In Maximilianstrasse, almost opposite of the St. James’s Way pilgrim’s statue is Cafe Schlosser, one of the traditional cafes in Speyer. They have a large outdoor seating, enough space inside and are well known for very good cakes, coffee and sundaes. In the meantime they also offer breakfast and snacks. Some years ago I have tried one of their sundaes, an Amarena cup, and it was good. However, I like them for their good and traditional cakes and have had many of them when I needed a break in the city, while I often go to Chocolat after arrival or before departure.

Over the years I have tried various cakes such as the meringue raspberry, the lemon cheesecake, the raspberry cream cake and others. I mostly have a latte macchiato and in summer often also a freshly made lemonade (lemon squeezed into water). Recently (May 2015) I needed something more substantial and, looking at their menu I asked for a Flammkuchen (“French pizza”). I was quite surprised to get a round one because Flammkuchen is usually made on a tray and then cut into sqare pieces. Moreover, their Flammkuchen had more bacon than onions and the cream was also not as I am used to it on the other ones I had in other places. But it was ok, however I decided that I stay with their cakes and look for snacks elsewhere.

The prices are very reasonable: breakfasts are between 3,80 Euro for a simple one to 10 Euro for their gourmand breakfast. The cakes are between 1,70 and 2,40 Euro, the snacks vary depending on the type but are mostly around 3 and 6 Euro. Sundaes cost between 3 and 6 Euro. They often have daily variations which are being written on a blackboard near the entrance. Sadly everything is in German, but some of the waiters speak basic English.

Opening hours: Tuesdays to Sundays: 09:00 – 18:00, closed on Mondays.

Location of Cafe Schlosser on Bing Maps.

Address: Speyer, Maximilianstrasse 10

Phone: +49 - 62 32 - 7 41 01

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.cafe-schlosser.de/speisen-getraenke.html

Alter Hammer, 2015 - Speyer

Alter Hammer, 2015

Alter Hammer: Restaurant with a view :-) Alter Hammer Review

This restaurant has one very big advantage: the location and the view. It is located directly at Rhine River, very close to Speyer’s main pier. The house itself is beautiful, imitated half-timbered with a large outside seating. I was here in 2008 with VT friends. We had tagliatelle with creamy mushroom sauce (6,90 Euro, in 2015: 7,40 Euro) and fried calamari with a spicy mayonnaise sauce (6,90 Euro, in 2015: 7,30 Euro).

Looking at the menu today (August 2015), I am pleased to see that the prices have not increased that much in 7 years. They also have steaks, Palatinate dishes, salads, spinach dumplings, vegetarian dishes and of course soft drinks, juices, beer (including Köstritzer), wine, coffee, also Aperol Spritz and digestives.

This restaurant is really a good option for visitors who want to have a short walk, enjoy a breeze from the river and do ship and boat watching. It is approximately 10 minutes by foot from the cathedral. It might become very popular during the specific times when the large Rhine River cruise ships like Viking stop here.
According to their website, it is Speyer's oldest beer garden, dating back to 1919.

So why haven’t I been here since 2008? No reason, only that I usually am more in the centre and always completely forget that I liked the food there. Next time...

The restaurant is open daily from 11:00-22:30 and unfortunately they do not accept credit cards.

Directions: from the southern side of the cathedral, walk east, direction river. Once you crossed the street behind the cathedral, you will see signs leading to it.

Location of “Alter Hammer” on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2008 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), text revamp and photo exchange in August 2015.

Address: Leinpfad 1c, 67346 Speyer

Directions: (see above)

Phone: +49 (0) 62 32- 75539

Website: http://www.alter-hammer.de/speisen-2/

Cafe Hindenburg: Excellent gelato in Cafe Hindenburg :) Café Hindenburg Review

In my quest finding my most favourite ice cream flavour, cassata siciliana, also in Germany I checked the flavours at Cafe Hindenburg. Much to my surprise they had one called “Perle des Südens” (pearl of the south) which looked like at least lemons with some pistachio nuts. So I bought a cup and was positively surprised: it wasn’t the same but came very close to what I like as flavours. One scoop cost 1 Euro (in May 2015). So far it was the best ice cream I had in Speyer and among the best I had in Germany so far.

Cafe Hindenburg is also, as the name suggests, a cafe and offers all kinds of cakes for quite reasonable prices (2,10 – 2,30 Euro) and of course coffee and tea in all varieties, including lactose-free products. They also have various very good looking breakfasts, crepes, Flammkuchen and baguettes. In the evening they serve cocktails and other drinks. If I remember correctly in winter they also have Schneeballen, the typical Franconian pastry, mainly known from Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Payment: cash for ice cream and very likely for coffee and cake too. Next time I will check if they also have credit card machines.

Opening hours: Monday – Sunday 08:00 – 23:00.

Directions: it is more or less in the middle of Maximilianstrasse, the main street, next to the house Alte Münze, the old mint.

Location of Cafe Hindenburg (2) on Bing Maps.

Website: http://www.cafehindenburg-speyer.de/kontakt/

Grilled mussels with garlic butter (Nov 2013) - Speyer

Grilled mussels with garlic butter (Nov 2013)

Domnapf: Lunch and dinner next to the Cathedral Domnapf Review

When I was in Speyer with a friend during Christmas Market season end of 2013, we needed something to eat before we would drive back home. But, given the busy times during the market season, my favourite dinner place, “Domhof” was already fully booked. We didn’t want to walk too far and decided to give nearby Domnapf a try, especially since it had one free table left when we entered.

The restaurant seems to have Greek cuisine (is connected to another restaurant, “Dionyssos”), with some Balkan specialities too and of course Palatinate dishes. My friend wanted to try the liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut (9,30 Euro) and was quite happy with it. I saw mussels on the menu and can never resist, so I had the grilled mussels with garlic butter (5,90 Euro). They were very delicious indeed! Both dishes came with bread so that we could dip the quite good sauces.

What can I say? The mussels were surely good but I have seen and eaten better liver dumplings (of course we both tried the other one’s dish). The restaurant inside looks rather elegant. They have outdoor seating too and seems to be popular whenever it is warm. And the waiters are nice and allow also non-guests to use their facilities.

Directions:
Very simple: with the cathedral in the back it is the orange building on the right hand side.

Opening hours:
Daily from 11:30 – 14:30 and from 17:30 to midnight.
Credit cards accepted.
The website is sadly only in German.

Location of (4) Domnapf Restaurant on Bing Maps.

Price Comparison: more expensive than average

Website: http://www.domnapf.de/speisekarten/speisekarte

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated Aug 11, 2015
- Speyer
Rheinstrand Speyer, Cafe-Bar: Relaxing beach time Rheinstrand - Beach Bar Review

During one of my regular visits in Speyer, my local buddy suggested that we will have a coffee at the beach. These kinds of beach bars are quite popular since some years, especially in regions at our rivers. Sand is spread on the ground, sunloungers and parasols are being put up to create this lazy sunny beachy atmosphere. I have read that this one in Speyer is in place since approx. 2009 and is being run by the same people who operate the beach bar in nearby Ludwigshafen.

Its location is perfect: next to the Technik Museum, the public pool “Bademaxx” and the youth hostel. Hence it can get quite crowded especially during school holidays/vacations. We were there before holidays started and during the week, so we could find two sunloungers near the water. We had our desperately needed coke (which I rarely drink but that day I needed a very quick caffeine fix) and I also ordered Orangina because I like the taste. The prices are average but I can’t say how much we paid because he invited me. The beach bar also offers snacks like baguettes and pizza and from what I saw when people picked them up they looked good.

The place is perfect for watching the activities on the river.

Opening hours:
They vary with the weather. Of course it is not open during rainy days. In good weather they are open Sundays and Mondays from noon to 22:00, Tuesdays to Saturdays from noon to midnight.
Sometimes they run events (the operator is an event agency), and then it is closed for the public.
They don’t have a website but a Facebook page.
As far as I could see, they accept only cash.

Directions:
For those visiting the Technical Museum: just walk direction to the river until you see the sign “Rheinstrand Bar”.
For those coming from the city centre and cathedral: walk towards the main pier and turn south/right until you reach the beach bar.

Location of Rheinstrand Cafe-Bar (4) on Bing Maps.

Website: http://https://www.facebook.com/rheinstrandspeyer

• Updated Aug 11, 2015

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Speyer