Speyer Restaurant Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination

Speyer Restaurants: 25 reviews and 61 photos

Bread unlimited - delicious spreads - Speyer
Aran: Bread unlimited - delicious spreads

When I was in Speyer recently (November 2013) this restaurant caught my eye and I was hungry anyhow. The advertising – Brotgenuß und Kaffeekult – means something like bread indulgence and coffee cult. I didn’t want a full meal, so bread with a delicious spread was just to my liking, although I found the prices (approx. 8-9 Euro for the “bread”) a bit on the dearer side. But once I was inside I saw that the prices are justified because it is not “just spread” they put on the bread but a delicious looking mixture of several kinds of ingredients. The one with mushrooms and potatoes caught my eye (I love mushrooms) and that day or week it was their speciality with a layer of mountain cranberry & horseradish just beneath the mushrooms and an extra of mountain cranberry jelly on top of the potatoes. So I ordered this and was even more pleased when the dish arrived: a delicious salad serving came with the bread. It did not only look delicious but it also tasted wonderful! Together with a latte macchiato my bill came to 11,90 Euro (8,90 Euro for the bread and 3 Euro for the coffee), a glass of tap water included.
Check their website, they have more mouth-watering spreads listed (just select the English version and then products – bread & spreads).

At home I did a bit of research because I liked the idea of this kind of hearty and filling snack. What I found made me smile: the cradle of the idea behind Aran is ... in Bavaria! In Rosenheim (which is near Lake Chiemsee) to be precise. It seems only fair that Bavaria “gives something back” to Palatinate, because the famous dishes which are so popular in Bavaria, such as Leberkäse, Pretzel and Dampfnudel, have been invented in Palatinate during the time when it was Kingdom of the Palatinate, ruled by the Bavarian Kings of Wittelsbach dynasty.

As it is obvious on my photo, Aran has also outdoor seating and blankets for those who wish to sit outside in chilly weather. It is located almost next to Altpörtel, the town gate, and ideal for people watching too.
Opening hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:00 – 19:00, Sunday: 10:00 – 19:00.
(I think credit cards are accepted, however I have to confirm this when I am there next time).

Location of Aran in Google Maps

© Ingrid D., November 2013 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: Korngasse 13, D-67346 Speyer

Comparison: more expensive than average

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.aran.coop/aran.php?radContentId=r3_12469029664852709d1cd2d1

• Updated Nov 26, 2013
- Speyer
Café Schlosser – cake and icecream – YUMMM

Shopping and sightseeing definitely makes tired. So if you need to take a break, all the cafés and restaurants in Maximilianstrasse invite you to fill yourself up with energy.

My all time favourite for excellent cake is Café Schlosser, just 200 m west of Cathedral Plaza. It is not only a café but a patisserie, and the cakes they serve are freshly made, no “plastic” ingredients. Any kind of coffee is also very good (tasty Latte Macchiato), and they also provide a good selection of tea.

It is closed on Monday.

Favorite Dish: My red currant baiser cake was so yummy that I could hardly resist getting another one.
My colleagues has freshly made apple cake, and from their faces I could tell that they wanted it to be supplied to their hometown (which is Sao Paulo :-)

Cakes are around 2,30 €, coffee between 2 and 3 €.

Update Feb 2007:
also their version of lemon cheesecake is very much delicious ! (photo 3)

Address: Speyer, Maximilianstrasse 10

Comparison: about average

Directions: Just 200 m west of Cathedral Plaza.
49°19’02,06’’ N; 08°26’20,37’’ E

Phone: +49 - 62 32 - 7 41 01

Theme: Coffeehouse

• Updated Oct 20, 2013
Domhof - beer garden - Speyer

Domhof - beer garden

Domhof and the famous beer garden

To satisfy your stomach, Domhof restaurant and beer garden is a very good option for Speyer. The restaurant is located just 100 m off Cathedral Plaza, and is well known for excellent food and their homemade beer. They serve palatine specialities as well.

Domhof has a beer garden with seating for nearly 100 people, but trees and fountains divide the space, so that you never get the impression it is crowded.
Service is quick and efficient.

They also have a restaurant with a bit more extensive menu.

Favorite Dish: I had a kind of potato fritter rolls, stuffed with light cream cheese and herbs. Excellent choice, it came with fresh green salad and very good dressing (freshly made as well, not from the bottle !).
Coffee: 2,80 €,
Apple juice: 3,10 € for 0,5 liter,
My potato rolls: 7,80 €

Other dishes are: famous Palatine Saumagen (oops, can someone help please with the translation ? It is mashed and minced meat, potatoes and some spices, filled into a dried pigs’ stomach and then cooked), tarte flambée, several salads, steaks and fish.

For the German speaking:
their website lists the different menus.

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Comparison: about average

Directions: Look northwest at Cathedral Plaza, it is the building covered with ivy.

Other Contact: E-Mail: hausbrauerei@domhof.de

Phone: 06232-6744-0

Website: http://www.domhof.de/Kontakt.htm

• Updated Oct 20, 2013
Speyer, Rhein embankment - Speyer

Speyer, Rhein embankment

Alter Hammer: Restaurant with a view :-)

As Speyer is located directly at our famous Rhein river, which always played an important role to the inhabitants during any century, it might be a nice option to go for a walk and have something to eat here. It is very much popular in summer, both restaurants are quite crowded.
The one I like best is Alter Hammer, this is the one on the southern side of the embankment (or to your right, once you are at the water). They have a big seating area inside, which is actually quite nicely decorated (not normal for popular restaurants at the rivers) but also offer a huge terrace with parasols and little heaters and blankets for chilly evenings.

The meals are simple but taste quite good, given the runs they have to face on sunny days, when the Rhein boats make their stops here.

When I was there with Ian and Rosemarie, we had tagliatelle with creamy mushroom sauce (photo 5) for 6,90 € and fried calamares with spicy mayonnaise sauce (photo 4) for also 6,90 €. They have also meat on their menu, prices vary from 6 € to 15 € (for beef dishes). They have a little selection of local wines and a big selection of hard stuff like vodka, schnaps, tequila etc and several choices of coffee and tea and soft drinks. And they have Bionade!

The restaurant is open daily from 11:00-23:00 and unfortunately they do not accept credit cards.

Directions:
From the cathedral, walk south into the garden and then cross the street to the east, until you arrive at the water. It is on your right hand then.
49°18’59,66’’N; 08°27’01,41’’E

Address: Leinpfad 1c, 67346 Speyer

Directions: (see above)

Phone: +49 (0) 62 32- 75539

Rating: 4

• Updated Apr 4, 2011
Lovely atmosphere at Kutscherhaus - Speyer

Lovely atmosphere at Kutscherhaus

Kutscherhaus: Nice restaurant and cafe at fish market

Fish market (Fischmarkt) is a nice place a bit off the mainstreet for a relaxed beer or coffee during sightseeing. Kutscherhaus (would translate into coach/carriage house) is perfect for this. Not only does the house itself look gorgeous from spring on with all the wisteria growing, but they also provide nice wooden chairs and tables with parasols on the outside. I can only report about their latte macchiato, which is excellent. But I saw other people’s dishes and this all looked excellent. I have yet to try myself next time.

Their website is in German only, the dishes are average in price, from 4 € for soup to 7,50 € for salad and 10-20 € for the main dishes.

Favorite Dish: Directions:
Continue walking west from St. Magdalenen through Pistoreigasse and Holzmarkt to Fischmarkt or walk north from Maximilianstraße into Salzgasse, continue into St. Georgengasse, and there you are.

Opening hours:
daily 11:30-14:30 and from 18:00-23:00. Closed on Wednesdays.

Address: Fischmarkt 5a, 67346 Speyer

• Updated Dec 31, 2008
Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff - Speyer

Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff

Zum Alten Engel: Slow Food dining - heavenly dishes

This restaurant is the proof that the best isn’t simply at the main streets :-). I am grateful to Ian and his partner Rosemarie (Iandsmith) who were staying in the Engel hotel when they were visiting Speyer early 2008. And when I came to spend some days with them, we wanted to have something to eat close by but they didn’t have space for us. This year in May I stayed in Speyer for 2 days with a young colleague, we’ve booked our rooms in the hotel and made sure that we booked a table early enough. What caught my attention was the Slow Food logo in its window (photo 5), as these days I just came back from Umbria and was completely captured by the Slow Food concept: heavenly dishes with local ingredients.
So I was anticipating heavenly experiences and I wasn’t disappointed. To start with: the restaurant is located in an old vaulted cellar (photo 4), with many little niches for a real cosy atmosphere. It is sparsely decorated and this adds to the atmosphere of a heavenly place.

Favorite Dish: The dishes: oh my… I need to come back soon. I had a season salad with wild herbs, a potato cakelet/fritter and ham as a starter (photo 3), delicious!! I tried to identify the wild herbs, and it was even dandelion inside, something I only knew in my childhood and it was good to see that this finds its way back onto our tables! As main course my colleague had the liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut (photo 2) and she was very much satisfied. I went for the Boef Stroganoff (main photo) with wild herbs and it was indeed heavenly. As we didn’t need to drive somewhere, we could try local red wine – very much delicious!! Their wine list is impressive, 11 pages with local wine of course and also wine from Australia, Chile, Spain, France, US and Italy.
The bill came to 50 € including espresso for both of us and a big bottle of water. That’s not too bad for two persons! The starters are all below 10 €, main dishes below 10 € for the Palatinate specials and 10-20 € for the ones with beef and fish and desserts are around 5 €.

Highly highly recommendable!

Directions:
From Altpörtel (the tower and the cathedral in your back) walk into the little street Mühlturmstrasse right hand side across the main street (Bahnhofstrasse). It is on your left after a couple of metres.
49°19’03,52’’ N; 08°25’50,04’’ E

Address: Mühlturmstrasse 7, 67346 Speyer

Directions: (see above)

Other Contact: eMail: see their website

Phone: + 49 (0) 62 32-7 09 14

Price: US$11-20

Website: http://www.zumaltenengel.de/seiten/toptotalset.html

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Dec 29, 2008
My musrooms in creamy sauce - Speyer

My musrooms in creamy sauce

Domhof and the famous restaurant

In the previous tip I told you about Domhof’s beergarden. They only have a small selection of food, so if you are craving for a rich meal, go inside the restaurant and select from their incredible big menu.
Inside, it is very much spacious, but you will never have the feeling to be crammed, as they have niches here and there, all separated by nice decorated pillars, ovens and other details.

The staff is very quick, very helpful, and usually they have waiters from all over Europe, so there is a chance that they might even speak your language. But don’t worry, English menu is available as well. I would like to put emphasis on the friendliness of the staff, even in the busiest times, they have a nice word and are never impatient. This is not always normal for German restaurants, so I think, it must be the boss who takes care of the “behaviour”.

Update (Feb 2007):
Domhof Restaurant is known for their speciality weeks and buffets. I have been here recently and took a flyer with me, which announces several of these events:
Potato buffet: March 3 and April 24, 2007 (8 p.m.), 12,90 € p.p.,
Swabian buffet: Feb 27 and April 17, 2007 (6 p.m.), 12,90 € p.p.
Palatine buffet: March 13, 2007 (6 p.m.), 12,90 € p.p.
Doppelbock Anstich (barrel-tapping of a beer speciality): March 9, 2007 (7 p.m.)

Favorite Dish: The restaurant has all kind of local specialities, either small portions or bigger ones. Salad, steak, soups and deserts in big variety. During autumn, they serve mushrooms, which was perfect for me, as I cannot get enough of mushrooms. Wild boar with dumplings and red cabbage is also a very delicious meal to eat there. I was amazed to hear that they also serve half portions for half price !

All is accompanied with either home brewn beer (light, dark or wheat/Weizen), wine from the region and soft drinks or coffee.

As already mentioned, I had my usual musrooms in creamy sauce – filling but yumm !
And this evening I had a bit too much beer (even if Richie would tell me now one can never have enough beer, hahaha), but this was fine, as we only had to walk some metres to our beds, and I was tired enough not to hear the Cathedral bells, hahaha.

Check their website for the menu, unfortunately only in German.

Opening hours:
Mo - Thu: 11 am - midnight
Fri: 11 am - 1 am
Sat: 10 am - 1 am
Sun: 10 am - midnight
(warm food served from 11 am - 11 pm)

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Comparison: about average

Directions: If you have the Cathedral in your back, look to your right - you can't miss the wild wine covered house, which says "Restaurant Domhof".

Other Contact: E-Mail: hausbrauerei@domhof.de

Phone: Tel: +49 - 6232-6744-0

Website: http://www.domhof.de/Speisekarte.htm

• Updated Feb 18, 2007

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Speyer