Speyer Restaurant Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination

Speyer Restaurants: 35 reviews and 96 photos

Speyer’s traditional snack – the pretzel - Speyer
Speyer’s traditional snack – the pretzel Brezel Stalls Review

In need of a snack? Look for the little pretzel kiosks in Maximilianstreet, the main street. Here, Speyer’s traditional snack is being sold – the pretzel. Yes, properly read :-) The pretzel has its origin in Speyer. Only with prince elector Carl Theodor, who had to move from Mannheim to Munich in 1778, Palatinate bakers and thus the pretzels came to Bavaria.

Traditional baker Berzel produces many many pretzels to feed the people. In Maximilianstrasse two of these little kiosks are located. They are easy to find: they are greenish and have a size slightly larger than our former telephone booths. One is almost opposite of “Alte Münze”, the other near “Kaufhof” department store.

They are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the pretzel prices are indeed very reasonable. A pretzel of regular size is 0,80 Euro, one mega size is 2,50 Euro. A regular size one with butter is 1 Euro.

© Ingrid D., March 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: On Maximilianstrasse

Price Comparison: least expensive

Theme: Street Vendor

• Updated Mar 11, 2016
- Speyer
Mediterraneo: Oh Italian dishes heaven and delight :-)

Some time ago I was in Mediterraneo just for a coffee with some friends. And what I saw was enough for me to want to come back and try their dishes. The result was (or is) that this will be my most favourite restaurant in town because of their very authentic and delicious cuisine, i.m.h.o.

So, we came here for lunch, a time when Mediterraneo offers business lunch with nice option of various dishes from soup to salad and pasta (between 11:30 and 14:30). I had some problems deciding which of the dishes I would like to eat but then opted for the gnocchi with a filling of basil and in a bed of mozzarella cream with nutmeg (11,50 Euro). My companion had the ravioli with a filling of vegetables on wild garlic (ramsons) pesto (10,90 Euro). To start we received a little piece of pizza, which was good. And my gnocchi ... were a pure delight! I could taste that they were freshly made and my companion said the same about his ravioli.
So good!

When we were here (early March 2016), the other dishes were a creamy wild garlic soup (5,90 Euro), salad with grilled vegetables (9,90 Euro), carpaccio (9,90 Euro), salad with green asparagus and bresaola (10,90 Euro), and gnocchi with truffle filling (13,50 Euro).

Opening hours:
Monday – Friday 09:00 – 18:00, Saturday: 09:00 – 18:00; closed Sundays.
Business lunch: 11:30 – 14:30

Note that they also sell delicious Italian produces => Mediterraneo food shoping

Location of Mediterraneo restaurant and shop on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., March 2016 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: Wormser Str. 51, 67346 Speyer

Theme: Italian

Website: https://www.facebook.com/mediterraneo.speyer/

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Mar 3, 2016
Attention coffee lovers :-) - Speyer
Schramm's Kaffeerösterei: Attention coffee lovers :-)

To my utmost delight I recently learned about a coffee-roasting facility in Speyer and, being a lover of good coffee, of course I had to visit and see what they have.

Schramm’s Kaffee is located opposite of Altpörtel, the old town gate. It is roasting facility, café and shop for anything around coffee: Italian Bialetti machines in all sizes, other coffee making facilities, including the old ceramic filters, anything for providing foamed milk, any other kind of accessories for coffee lovers. And of course the many coffee varieties, almost 30 different tastes. I came out of curiosity and of course to have my morning coffee (latte macchiato to be precise). But I like that one can taste some of the various blends they sell. This makes decision easier. The ladies were very helpful with an excellent knowledge about their coffee blends when I tried to select the blend for me. At the end they suggested “Santo Cielo”, Arabica highland coffee with full bodied aroma and a slight nut flavour. I loved its taste when I tried a caffè (espresso) and I also like the taste at home, with my Bialetti machine (125 g 2,90, 250 g 5,30 Euro, 500 g 9,80 Euro).

Schramm’s also sells a selected variety of sweets to go with coffee, such as special sugar with pieces of chilli or oranges or roses, organic chocolate and other things. At the end I bought a cute piece of marzipan with a photo of Speyer’s cathedral on the wrapping paper, which makes a nice souvenir (30 g, 1,50 Euro) and dark chocolate with pieces of orange and hemp (90 g bar for 3,90 Euro). My latte macchiato was 2,90 Euro, the caffè (espresso) 1,80 Euro – both very fair prices.

Schramm’s also offers coffee roasting seminars and other seminars in context to coffee and coffee making.

My view? I will be back, to have coffee and to buy coffee :-)

Opening hours: Mon – Fri: 09:30 – 18:30, Sat: 09:30 – 18:00. They are open on four “trading Sundays”, which in case of Speyer for 2016 will be on April 3, October 2 and 10 and November 27.

Location of Schramm’s Kaffeerösterei on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., February 2016 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Address: Gilgenstraße 31, 67346 Speyer

Price Comparison: less expensive than average

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.schramms-kaffee.de/

• Written Feb 16, 2016
- Speyer
Cafe Hindenburg: Excellent gelato and cake at Cafe Hindenburg :) Café Hindenburg Review

In my quest finding my most favourite ice cream flavour, cassata siciliana, also in Germany I checked the flavours at Cafe Hindenburg. Much to my surprise they had one called “Perle des Südens” (pearl of the south) which looked like at least lemons with some pistachio nuts. So I bought a cup and was positively surprised: it wasn’t the same but came very close to what I like as flavours. One scoop cost 1 Euro (in May 2015). So far it was the best ice cream I had in Speyer and among the best I had in Germany so far.

Cafe Hindenburg is also, as the name suggests, a cafe and offers all kinds of cakes for quite reasonable prices (2,10 – 2,30 Euro) and of course coffee and tea in all varieties, including lactose-free products. They also have various very good looking breakfasts, crepes, Flammkuchen and baguettes. In the evening they serve cocktails and other drinks. If I remember correctly in winter they also have Schneeballen, the typical Franconian pastry, mainly known from Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Update: February 2016:
In the meantime I also tried one of their cakes and we had light lunch here. The cake (pineapple cream, 2,30 Euro) was really excellent. The omelet (5,30 Euro) I had for lunch was ok, slightly to thick for me.
In general, their cakes look good and I surely will try another one next time.

Payment: cash for ice cream and very likely for coffee and cake too. Next time I will check if they also have credit card machines.

Opening hours: Monday – Sunday 08:00 – 23:00.

Directions: it is more or less in the middle of Maximilianstrasse, the main street, next to the house Alte Münze, the old mint.

Location of Cafe Hindenburg (2) on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., August 2015 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

Website: http://www.cafehindenburg-speyer.de/kontakt/

• Updated Feb 15, 2016
Serviettenknödel and mushoom sauce - Speyer

Serviettenknödel and mushoom sauce

Wirtshaus am Dom: Wirtshaus am Dom – well.... Wirtshaus am Dom - former Cafe Via Triumphalis Review

This restaurant is a recent addition to the many meal options on Maximilianstraße, although only the interior and concept is new. The owners had the former cafe “Via Triumphalis” since approx. 1999 or so. It has changed a lot, but only from the concept, the service I had this time (in February 2016) was similar as it was when I tried to have coffee and cake 1 year ago.

It was modernised and has a plain and neutral, modern exterior, which doesn’t look inviting to me, compared to other restaurants and cafes on the main street. But recently some of our group went there, so I joined them to at least give the dishes a try. The interior is as modern as the exterior, called “Chalet style”, too plain and uninviting for me. They try to be Bavarian, their waiters wear Lederhosen and they have “Bavarian” dishes and Paulaner beer. Plus local specialties. They had Serviettenknödel on their menu (bread dumplings, flat and not round), something I like a lot when I am in Bavaria and Austria. So I had this one with mushrooms (9,80 Euro), while the others had a beef roulade with dumplings and red cabbage (14,20 Euro), an Apfelstrudel (5,90 Euro, ordered without vanilla sauce) and Marillenknödel with vanilla sauce (4,90 Euro). So how was my dish and what did the others say about theirs? I definitely had better, much better Serviettenknödel anywhere so far. The sauce was not as most Bavarians or Austrians would serve them, not tasty for me and I am not sure if the mushrooms were fresh (ok, it was February, not mushroom time). The others said their dishes were ok, but also nothing to write home about. We also found the waitress rushed and slightly rude. If they think that this is Bavarian habit, then they should go and get their own experience.... I also find their dishes overpriced, compared to similar dishes in Bavaria and Austria. One year ago when I wanted to have coffee and cake in their former “Via Triumphalis” the waiters were also quite rushed and rude and slightly arrogant. It wasn’t crowded but the waiters ignored various new guests. At the end back then I got up and left, after having waited for 30 minutes or so....

When I compare this restaurant with the other, very long established Domhof Restaurant, then Wirtshaus am Dom falls flat for me. So, my personal recommendation: if you want typical Bavarian-Palatinate dishes, as authentic as they can be outside of Bavaria, nice interior, friendly staff who takes time to help with the dishes, have your meals in Domhof. Also the prices in Domhof are a lot more reasonable. It is all a question of authenticity versus “wanna be” for me.

Location of Wirtshaus am Dom on Bing Maps.

Price Comparison: more expensive than average

Rating: 0

• Updated Feb 14, 2016
- Speyer
Forum - Café im Museum: Coffee and cake, between musum visit :-) Forum - Café im Museum Review

The Historical Museum of the Palatinate is large. Very large. I can easily spend 3-4-5 hours inside, especially when they show their exciting special exhibitions. But one does not have to go outside for a coffee break because in the middle of the museum, between the old and new museum buildings is a lovely large foyer with a cafe. This foyer is nicely connecting both buildings and the old building structure is very intelligently integrated. I like the open architecture with the glass roof and the palm trees. The cafe offers freshly made cake and coffee and the prices are quite reasonable. I had cake and coffee here in 2011 with a friend but we both were so tired from the museum visit (or rather our feet were) that I completely forgot to take photos of the cheesecake I had.

Update, January 2016:
in the meantime I had another coffee and cheesecake with mandarins here and this time I managed to take a photo before ... it was gone :-)
Prices (Jan 2016): latte macchiato: 2,80 Euro, cakes: 2,80 Euro.
I should also mention that they serve specialties, depending on the special exhibitions in the museum. In January, while the exhibition about agents, spies, detectives was still running, they served kids' specials such as James Bond menu or Sherlock Holmes menu :-)
Prices of some dishes and snacks from their menu (Jan 2016): muffins: 2,80 Euro, donuts: 1,50 Euro, hot dogs: 2,50 Euro, soups, e.g. goulash soup, Palatinate potato soup, soup of the day: 4,90 Euro, beer: 2,70 Euro (for 0,33 l).

Entrance to cafe is free – also for people who do not visit the museum. Just enter the museum’s main door and tell the guards that you only want to have a coffee inside. (There are guards at each of the museum building entrances).

Quite often the foyer is also used for events, for lectures, for opening ceremonies before new special exhibitions.

Location of the cafe in the Historical Museum (1) on Bing Maps.

Directions: Inside the Historical Museum of the Palatinate

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.museum.speyer.de/English/Visitor_Information/Museum_Cafe.htm

• Updated Feb 5, 2016
Mushrooms in creamy sauce (2006) - Speyer

Mushrooms in creamy sauce (2006)

Domhof: Domhof's very good restaurant Domhof Review

In addition to the beer garden, Domhof has also a very good restaurant and of course the brewery. The selection of dishes is of course larger than in the beer garden and it is also open all year round. The prices are the same for restaurant and beer garden. They have a very large seating space, but because it is so popular, it will be crowded on weekends and event days, so reservation is highly recommended. They also cater groups, another reason for making reservations.

I was here quite often, mostly on cold days and then my most favourite dish was mushrooms in creamy sauce. But it is no longer on the menu. The dishes offered vary from soups to salads, steak (pork and beef), Palatinate specialities, Spätzle (the Swabian type of pasta), and also the stuffed potato rolls as a vegetarian dish. In addition they have specific theme weeks, such as “Oktoberfest” during October with Bavarian dishes and their beer, stuffed goose in the first weeks of November and game in the last weeks of November. Early December they have “Nikolausbockbier Anstich” (Santa Claus Bock tapping).

English is well spoken, often also other languages because they have waiters from all over Europe. They also have English menus. I also like their ambiance inside: various rooms so that one never has the feeling that it is crowded, nice decoration, varying with the season and of course beer related decoration.

Update, January 2016:
I was here recently with a colleague, we had lunch. He had liver from veal with potato puree and sauce (17,80 Euro) and I had "Käsespätzle", specific kind of pasta with cheese and roasted onions (12,80 Euro), all was fresh made and especially the Käsespätzle were very good.

Opening hours: daily from approx. 11:00 to midnight, for specific opening hours see -> website
(The kitchen is open until 22:00)

Location of (1) Domhof beer garden, (2) Domhof restaurant, (3) Domhof hotel on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), August 2015: text completely revised, photos exchanged, links repaired.

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Phone: Tel: +49 - 6232-6744-0

Theme: Local

Website: http://domhof.de/index.php/en/hausbrauerei-domhof/schlemmen-gb/speisekarten-gb/190-ganzjaehrige-speisekarte-2

• Updated Feb 5, 2016
Cafe Maximilian: Cafe Maximilian, good breakfast Café Maximilian Review

Near Altpörtel, Speyer’s beautiful old town gate is Cafe Maximilian. It is a very good place for breakfast, quick lunch and dinner, or just for a coffee or a drink and people watching.

In March 2015, when the weather was already quite sunny, I was here and had a late breakfast (it was too early for their quick lunch). They have a large variety of different breakfast types, from cereals to Munich breakfast (with pretzels), Farmer breakfast (with roasted potatoes and fried eggs) and their New York breakfast (with maple syrup and eggs Benedict). I wanted the Farmer breakfast because I didn’t had breakfast at home and had a long day ahead of me. It was very good and not at all heavy. Price was 7,20 Euro. I was also happy that they had Bionade, the organically made lemonade.

Other than breakfast they have very interesting options: they offer “quick lunch” between 11:30 and 14:00. This is a daily changing fixed menu with salad, main course and dessert for 5,90 Euro! Their main menus vary from large burgers, sandwiches, grilled feta cheese, various salads, baguettes, Flammkuchen (our “French pizza”), Palatinate specialities, pasta and steaks. And of course for the evenings they have a quite good variety of drinks and cocktails, including non alcoholic ones. Next time I might try one of the evening dishes.

Update, September 2015:
during one of my many visits to town, this time with Kathrin_E we decided we need a snack. We only wanted a coffee but then we saw that they had "New Wine" (Federweißer) and onion cake. This was enough for us to quickly change our plans. The wine was good, not too strong, and the onion cake was quite good (better than I'd expected from a cafe rather than a proper winery). Prices: 2,15 Euro for 0,2 litres of wine, 3,30 Euro for the onion cake.

Location of Cafe Maximilian (3) on Bing Maps.

Website: http://www.cafe-maximilian.de/quicklunch.html

• Updated Sep 6, 2015
Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff  (2008) - Speyer

Zum Alten Engel, boef stroganoff (2008)

Zum Alten Engel: Slow Food dining, excellent dishes, Alter Engel Zum Alten Engel Review

This restaurant is off the mainstreet but one more proof that the best not always in the centres. Once I saw the slow food logo in the window of this restaurant, which belongs to the Hotel Goldener Engel, I knew that I want to eat here one day. When I was in Speyer for an overnight stay in May 2008 I booked a table.

So I was anticipating excellent food experiences and I was not disappointed. The restaurant is located in an old vaulted cellar (photo 4), with many cosy little niches. It is sparsely decorated but this adds to the atmosphere: savouring dishes rather than the interior :-).

And then the dishes: .. inspiring and delicious! I had a season salad with wild herbs, a potato cakelet/fritter and ham as a starter (photo 3). Very good, especially the wild herb salad! I tried to identify the wild herbs, and to my delight found that there was even dandelion, something I only had during my childhood and it was good to see that this finds its way back onto our tables! As main course my buddy had liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut (photo 2) and she was much satisfied. I choose Beef Stroganoff (main photo) with wild herbs and it was also very good. Since we did not need to drive we could try local red wine – good too (although I forgot which one we had, it was a dry red wine). Their wine list is impressive: 36 pages with the excellent local/Palatinate wines of course but also wines from Australia, Chile, Spain, France, US and Italy.

At the end our bill was 50 € including espresso for both of us and a large bottle of water. However, note that these prices were from May 2008. It was not too bad for two people! The starters are all below 10 €, main dishes below 10 € for the Palatinate specials and 10-20 € for the ones with beef and fish and desserts are around 5 €.

Their menu is still good (now that I update this review in July 2015). The prices have slightly gone up but still, given the biological food and the Slow Food concept, they are not too high. They also have a good selection of vegetarian dishes, such as spinach dumplings from northern Italy, bread dumplings with creamy mushroom sauce and vegetarian pasta.
Highly recommendable!

Directions:
From Altpörtel (with the tower and the cathedral in your back) walk into the little street Mühlturmstrasse right hand side across the main street (Bahnhofstrasse). It is on your left after a couple of metres.

Location of Restaurant (and hotel) Alter Engel on Bing Maps.

© Ingrid D., May 2008 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), updates and photo exchange, August 2015.

Address: Mühlturmstrasse 7, 67346 Speyer

Directions: (see above)

Phone: + 49 (0) 62 32 - 7 09 14

Website: http://www.zumaltenengel.de/kuechenzauber.htm

• Updated Aug 25, 2015
Domhof, stuffed potato rolls and salad (2006) - Speyer

Domhof, stuffed potato rolls and salad (2006)

Domhof with its charming beer garden Domhof Review

Domhof is a well known brewery and hotel in Speyer, located close by the cathedral. They have a separate beer garden, in between Domhof Hotel and the Domhof Restaurantand brewery building. With the large trees and a fountain in between the tables and chairs or benches it is an ideal retreat on a sunny day. From my experience it is very popular with cyclists, so during weekends it can be quite crowded. But ... remember that we are in Palatinate and this means that people will squeeze together to make room for new arriving people. Room is for approximately 100 guests. Service is very quick and very efficient.

I was here quite often because I like their dishes. Good quality, a good selection of snacks, vegetarian options, salads and Palatinate-Bavarian specialities. Somehow I mostly ended ordering their very delicious potato fritter rolls, stuffed with light cream cheese and herbs plus a fresh salad with a good dressing (8,90 Euro currently, August 2015). On another occasion I had the Palatinate dish of liver dumplings with wine sauerkraut and light brown sauce (8,90 Euro currently). Any of my friends and colleagues whom I took here were very satisfied. And since Domhof is a brewery, they have of course their own beer: light, dark or Weizen, in sizes of 0,3, 0,5 and 1 litre. They also have wine from Deidesheim (among the highest quality wines in Palatinate), digestives, juices and coffee and tea.

Since Domhof management is well aware that also foreign visitors come to the town, they have menu and beverage list also in English.

Outside the beer garden is enough room for the bikes. The ground is wheelchair accessible. Payment with credit cards is possible.

Opening hours: depending on the weather, but then between 11:00 and almost midnight, daily.

© Ingrid D., September 2006 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), August 2015: text completely revised, photos exchanged, links repaired.

Address: Speyer, Große Himmelsgasse 6

Phone: 06232-6744-0

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.domhof.de/index.php/en/hausbrauerei-domhof/schlemmen-gb/speisekarten-gb/190-ganzjaehrige-speisekarte-2

• Updated Aug 13, 2015

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Speyer