"Speyer – the pearl of Palatinate and Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer by Trekki

Speyer Travel Guide: 348 reviews and 1,157 photos

and a very lovely and traveller friendly town :-)

Among all the cities and towns in Germany, Speyer is definitely one of my favourites. I grew up nearby and loved it and also later, after school, university and ever since I love visiting this so charming town. I cannot get enough of the town.

You might wonder about my page title “Speyer - the pearl of Palatinate and of Europe”. Its cathedral is listed UNESCO Heritage since 1981, but does this make a town a pearl? Maybe, but I am referring to the town’s history and its significance for more than 2000 years. This is something not many foreign visitors to Germany seem to be aware of. Sadly. If I compare for example the degree of popularity or awareness of German city Trier with Speyer, then Speyer is definitely lesser known. This is so sad, given the charm and the lovely atmosphere of the town and the many interesting museums and sights to see, in addition to the so splendid cathedral.

Speyer’s surroundings were already settled back in Bronze Age. Later, the Romans came and, as @Leics would say, did their Roman thing. Flourishing started after Salian Konrad II decided to have his imperial cathedral built here starting early 11th century. The city became the status of “free imperial city” and many imperial diets (assemblies) were held here. One of the most historically relevant was in 1529 when the ban against Luther was abolished during the “Speyer Protestation”. It was destroyed several times, especially badly by French King Louis XIV and later by Napoleon’s troops. From early 19th century it belonged to the Kingdom of Bavaria and was even the capital of the Palatine part of the kingdom. This was the time when the final restoring of the cathedral exterior took place, funded by the Bavarian kings Max II and Ludwig I. The interior was brought back to the original Romanesque style mid of 20th century though.

And today? It is quirky, modern, ancient, Mediterranean, charming, well looked after and full with atmosphere. That’s why I love it. I love the flair Maximilianstrasse has when the oleander trees are moved into the pavements, and the whole street looks like one long mile for relaxed mornings or afternoons. I love the wine and other delicacies, offered in the countless cafes and restaurants. I love the Historical Museum of the Palatinate with its exciting special exhibitions. I love the colourful events, especially the “Wine at the cathedral”, “Brezelfest” and the Farmers’ Market. I love the Rhine River and the beach feeling. I love the dreamy small squares.
I love the town!

You might understand now why I call Speyer a pearl of Europe, given this very turbulent and fascinating history that had so much impact on politics in the empires and the church during many centuries. Walking through Speyer today will definitely give you this feeling of walking through a grand history book. And it definitely will capture with its charm.

So let me show you one of my most favourite towns in Germany :-)

If you would like to learn more details about the turbulent more than 2000 year old history – I have will write about it in a separate album (not yet done): History of Speyer.

My Speyer page on @Virtualtourist, status, July 2015:
I am in the process of completely revising this page, especially considering that I started to write the majority of reviews back in 2004 when my English was sloppy and definitely not appropriate. It will take a while.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Stunning cathedral, fascinating museums, e.g. Historical Museum of the Palatinate, lovely hotels and restaurants, marvellous old town centre, very friendly people, exciting markets and events
  • Cons:Simply nothing !
  • In a nutshell:History, UNESCO heritage, the most beautiful cathedral, charme and Mediterranean flair :-)
  • Last visit to Speyer: Jun 2015
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2016 at 11:38 AM

Hello, Ingrid! Thank you for your amazing story about Speyer! It is one of the gems in your country I am sure...

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Thank you dear Victor :-)) It is my personal gem, one of my most favourite cities :-))

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2016 at 3:04 AM

Hi Ingrid,
    I visited Speyer last weekend to see its many beautiful spots, but so much was still closed in March (e.g. the crypt, the tower, the Altpörtel). Guess I've got to come back in summer. Still, thanks for your highly informative tips.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:18 AM

Last weekend?? Saturday or Sunday? We could have met? Cathedral tower and some restored frescoes and Altpörtel open April 1st but the crypt is open all year long. During the opening times of the cathedral.
      Ha, next time you come, let me know and then I'll give you a tour :-) Yesterday I hopefully passed my written exam, next week we have practical exams :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Back for another visit to your excellent Speyer page! Speyer seems like just the kind of town I love to visit! Great work, Ingrid!

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Thank you dear Sylvia :-)) You would love it!!! For everything, location near the water, the fantastic cathedral, the food, the flair, the town :-))

• ines2003's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM

complete tips of the place, look interesting, thanks for your greeting

• ines2003's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2015 at 2:05 PM

complete tips of the place, look interesting, thanks for your greeting

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Thank you for the nice tips!

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM

People in movies write pages in VT? Oh wow :-)
      But then, who is good and who is bad. I think this is not a question of nationality.

• Oleg_D.'s Profile Photo
      Nov 14, 2014 at 5:27 AM

I'm good boy! Everything depends on personality!

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Very nice place visited with the "Glühwein crowd" from Karlsruhe!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Good morning, Ingrid. I can’t believe it’s been nearly seven years since I last looked at this great page. I hope all is well with you.

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:45 AM

Thank you dear Don for having walked through Speyer :-) Oh my, Speyer is my construction site, I must work on it very soon, because some things have changed - additional sights :-))

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Ingrid, your Speyer page is fantastic! Your command of the history of the city and Germany is so impressive!! The Cathedral is especially beautiful and there is so much to city in this city. The two professors I work for were in Speyer for a conference several years ago, and I certainly wish I could have gone with them to experience this special city!!

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Dear Sylvia :-)) Thank you so so much for having read my old page and for your very generous comments :-))) It is a fantastic city, I was there again last week to do "Playmobil figures hunting". The Historical Museum of the Palatinate opens their special exhibition this Sunday and has placed 40 little ones in town, for us to find :-))
      What kind of conference was this? By mail if you don't want to write it in public :-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Whew, Ingrid what a fabulous account of a fabulous city. It took me two days of spare time to read it all. Thanks for the wonderful memories of my visit to Speyer in 2011 with you.

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Thank you my dear Kate for your sweet words :-))) I wish we would have had more time for Speyer. But next time :-)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Speyer