"Close to heaven, literally and figuratively :)" Steingaden by Trekki
Steingaden Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 129 photos
When I travelled through one of Bavaria’s most idyllic part, Pfaffenwinkel, the region between Lake Starnberg and Neuschwanstein Castle, I used Steingaden as a base and stayed at a nice and highly recommended bed & breakfast near Wies Church. This was a good decision, although Steingaden is located in the southwestern part of Pfaffenwinkel. But it is a charming town and all the other churches I wanted to visit are close by within a maximum of 30 km.
Steingaden is very homogeneous with the old monastery structure still visible and carefully restored. The town was founded in 12th century by Welf VI, member of the European dynasty of the Welfs, and shortly after the Premonstratensian Monastery was built. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and liked to come back to town in the evenings with the whole landscape and town in sunset glow. October (2011) was a perfect time and the first days were pure “Golden October” weather. It must be magic in spring and summer, given the photos, Sally (@Beausoleil) has on her Wies Church page, and of course in winter when everything is covered in white. In the meantime I have been here in winter and yes, it is a magic sight. The photo I have used as intro photo for my => review overview for Germany is from 2011/12 winter (February).
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip => here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Marvellous part of Bavaria, in easy reach to the other sights
- In a nutshell:More than only UNESCO Wies Church is here
Not far away from Steingaden is another gem of Bavaria's churches. From what I have read it was once built as a... more travel advice
As much as I liked the interior of Wies Church, Steingaden’s Welfenmünster, or St. Johannes Baptist, the church of... more travel advice
- The master builder is buried here
- See All Magic evenings in Wies with organ...
- Hiking around Steingaden
- Steingaden - public transport or own car
Trekki's Related Pages
Steingaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Close to heaven, literally and figuratively :)"
- "The Romanesque church of Steingaden"
- "Wieskirche in Steingaden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Steingaden
- Hotels in Steingaden
- Transportation in Steingaden
- Restaurants in Steingaden
- Shopping in Steingaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Steingaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Steingaden
- 17 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Steingaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Steingaden
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Why was Homer's post about..."
- updated a Steingaden Travel Page "Close to heaven, literally and figuratively :)"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Steingaden travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Close to heaven, literally and figuratively :)"
- Wrote a Review Nearby Ilgen with another church jewel in Steingaden Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Steingaden
Photos in SteingadenSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues