Umbria Sports & Outdoors Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Umbria Sports & Outdoors: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Umbria, Monte Subasio (near Assisi)
Given the landscape with many hills and valleys, Umbria has one of the finest hiking possibilities in Italy. Yes, of course there are the Alps in the north, but by then, these are mostly overflown with masses in summer and this often has a very much negative influence on the authenticity and serenity of the landscape. And as Umbria is not yet mass travel and hiking destination, it is definitely a much more desirable place for those who seek almost untouched nature.
From what I could see during my (road) trip, Valnerina (Parco fluviale del Nera) is one of the most fascinating ones for longer or shorter hikes. Near Assisi is famous Monte Subasio, the highest peak nearby with extended oak forests. And for the ambitious mountaineerers Monte Sibillini in Le Marche (at the eastern border of Umbria) offer any kind of alpine-like hiking (Monte Sibilla is 2175 m).
On my way to Orvieto, I drove along river Tevere, which looked gorgeous for all kind of hiking, cycling and water sports as well. It is Parco fluviale del Tevere.
The website “Parks.it” is a good start to look for more details and other parks as well. As Le Marche and Umbria are so close and many parks are at their borders, I suggest to check both:
National Parks in Umbria,
National Parks in Le Marche.
When it comes to cycling, Umbria offers tours for every level of experience. The hills and valleys are maybe more for the mountainbikers, but Valle Umbra is perfect for the ones who prefer less hills. And given a very much relaxed traffic in Umbria, cycling tours will not end in hospitals. I found that Umrian traffic is extremely “non-Italian”. No one races. You can book guided bicycle tours or bring your own (or rent one) and travel on your own.
Some possible itineraries are given on these websites:
cycling Umbria (1),
cycling Umbria (2) ,
cycling Umbria (3) ,
cycling Umbria (4) .
Or if you check the website bikemap.net, you’ll find an abundance of routes, the users did describe (if the language does not jump to English, change it in the menu top right hand side):
Update January 2009:
I just found another excellent page with biking tours in Umbria:
Bike in Umbria
This one is even better, you can chose between the "types" (easy, medium, difficult) and then pick out the routes according to a clickable map. The single routes are described with detail map, profile, sights to see and downloadable GPS profiles and detailed roadbooks. Excellent!! Avaliable in Italia, English, German and Spanish.
More Reviews (59)
- See All Very good option for Valnerina: stay in...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Get Angelo Branduardi's "Umbria" CD :-)
- See All Living nativities
- See All Still much earthquake damage (after the...
- Good shoes, rain protection and...
- Todi is nothing special
- Umbria on your own – very easy to get...
- Parking rules and narrow cities :-)
- See All San Leo, tiny hilltop village (Le...
- See All Excellent dining in Gubbio
Been to Umbria?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Umbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
- "The Heart of Italia - Umbria"
- "Springtime in Umbria, Italy"
- "Out of the Shadows of Tuscany and Into the Light"
- "La verde Umbria"
- "Umbria - the lesser known sister of Tuscany"
- "Umbria the Green Heart of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Umbria
- Hotels in Umbria
- Transportation in Umbria
- Nightlife in Umbria
- Restaurants in Umbria
- Shopping in Umbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Umbria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Umbria
- 237 Reviews
- 1,161 Photos
- 94 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (153)
Have you been to Umbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umbria
- Posted in Travel Japan Forum "Re: cost for budget traveller"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Umbria tips
- Wrote a Review Very good option for Valnerina:... in Umbria Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very good option for Valnerina: stay in Preci"
- updated a Umbria Travel Page "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
Videos in UmbriaSee All Videos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 65 reviews, 300 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 239 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues