Umbria Tourist Trap Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Umbria Tourist Traps: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Todi - on top of a hill, like so many others
Oh so famous Todi…. While I was doing research previous to my trip, I’ve read of course that Todi “is the most livable city in the whole world”. But….. as it is so often with “best, only, highest, greatest” (almost Chinese-like words), a bit of deeper research unveils the truth: this was nothing more than a huge and obviously successful marketing gag (and I had to work hard not to write marketing lie).
The facts were, as one can read in the article I’ve added below, that indeed architect and expert on sustainability Professor Richard Levine of University of Kentucky did a survey on many cities and villages worldwide and how their structures might lead to improvements of our today’s cities. He was invited to give a speech at a conference in Todi and a very much inventive PR guy twisted and warped the professor’s words into the famous words that started to spread around the world. As a result, the world rushed to Todi, prices increased, everything went touristy and what was maybe once a nice village with charm and own personality developed in just another high price tourist place.
Yes, I have to be careful of what I write. Of course I didn’t attend that conference and I also wasn’t in Todi to see it all by myself (which would have put me in a position to judge), but we all know how PR works with its own rules… It certainly was enough to tell me that of all cities and villages in Italy, Todi would be the least I wanted to visit (if ever).
Unique Suggestions: This article tells more about the famous PR gag:
There's No Such Thing as a Perfect City by Doris Gappmaier (in English)
Fun Alternatives: Todi might be nice and cute, but…. it is just one of so many hilltop villages in Umbria or Italy. Yes, it is member of Cittaslow, or slow city, the organisation whose goal is to improve quality of life. But in this organisation it is only one of 47 Italian cities! Most of them (12) are in Toscana, followed by Umbria (9) and Emilia Romagna (6). And even in Umbria it is not the only one…..
So I can only highly recommend that, unless there is something you desperately want to see in Todi, you should visit other lovely villages and cities in Umbria. All of them deserve a visit, not only PR markting-gag Todi.
More Reviews (59)
- See All Very good option for Valnerina: stay in...
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Get Angelo Branduardi's "Umbria" CD :-)
- See All Living nativities
- Umbria is a secret hiking + biking...
- See All Still much earthquake damage (after the...
- Good shoes, rain protection and...
- Umbria on your own – very easy to get...
- Parking rules and narrow cities :-)
- See All San Leo, tiny hilltop village (Le...
- See All Excellent dining in Gubbio
Been to Umbria?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Umbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
- "The Heart of Italia - Umbria"
- "Springtime in Umbria, Italy"
- "Out of the Shadows of Tuscany and Into the Light"
- "La verde Umbria"
- "Umbria - the lesser known sister of Tuscany"
- "Umbria the Green Heart of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Umbria
- Hotels in Umbria
- Transportation in Umbria
- Nightlife in Umbria
- Restaurants in Umbria
- Shopping in Umbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Umbria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Umbria
- 237 Reviews
- 1,161 Photos
- 82 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (153)
Have you been to Umbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umbria
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: A hotel posted through "
- Commented on one of Trekki's Umbria tips
- Wrote a Review Very good option for Valnerina:... in Umbria Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very good option for Valnerina: stay in Preci"
- updated a Umbria Travel Page "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
Videos in UmbriaSee All Videos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 59 reviews, 286 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 209 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues