"When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria by Trekki
Umbria Travel Guide: 1,086 reviews and 3,745 photos
Update, October 2010:
no new tips, only a marvellous new video about Umbria made by the magnificent Eugubinian (= from Gubbio) Danae Film Production.
Thanks guys for this splendid visual material!
This was my first impression when I visited Umbria in April 2008. The impression lasted during my whole trip, even if I saw more rain than sunshine. It manifested even more after the rain was gone and the dark clouds shone in the low reappearing sun. Rainbows came and the whole air was alive and filled with magic. I suddenly understood why San Francesco and the other Italian saints had choosen this region to live and to build their churches and places of worship.
You might come across my title on another page of mine:
Umbria fascinated me from the very moment I set foot into it and while I was travelling around I realised why: it reminded me so much of my beloved Palatinate, yet it was different. But different in landscape and mountains only, not in people, food and the devotion, people have to their lives and the goods their soil produces.
I have yet to work up my impressions, inside and here on VT. In the meantime I’ve written the tips I desperately wanted to share: most magic accommodations, divine dishes in excellent restaurants and extra special places to visit. You will not find Assisi and Perugia here but villages like Gubbio, which is my most favourite, or Bevagna or Norcia or Piediluco, at the lake. I will need a bit more time to complete this page, but I need to work on my Rheinland-Pfalz page urgently, out of a very specific reason.
Enjoy my Umbria.
It is a place, God once created.
As of January 2012, I have written about the following single destinations in Umbria:
Abbazia San Pietro in Valle,
Eremo di Santa Maria della Stella, near Rocchetta in Valnerina,
[Status: as of January 2012] More to follow one day.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Hotel Agli Scacchi proved to be a perfect base for my exploration of Valnerina, the valley of Nera river in the very... more travel advice
Spello is one of the romantic and cute little hill towns of Umbria. In contrast to to others like Trevi it does not sit... more travel advice
- See All Get Angelo Branduardi's "Umbria" CD :-)
- See All Living nativities
- Umbria is a secret hiking + biking...
- See All Still much earthquake damage (after the...
- Good shoes, rain protection and...
Written Apr 11, 2010
Planning helps to overcome the homesickness....
Written May 2, 2010
Planning the most special trip :-)
Written Apr 11, 2010
Another dream to realise: Cammino di Francesco :)
Written Apr 12, 2011
For Jean - places on google maps for your trip
Trekki's Related Pages
Umbria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
- "The Heart of Italia - Umbria"
- "Out of the Shadows of Tuscany and Into the Light"
- "Springtime in Umbria, Italy"
- "La verde Umbria"
- "Umbria the Green Heart of Italy"
- "Umbria - the green heart of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Umbria
- Hotels in Umbria
- Transportation in Umbria
- Nightlife in Umbria
- Restaurants in Umbria
- Shopping in Umbria
- Warnings and Dangers in Umbria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Umbria
- 228 Reviews
- 1,065 Photos
- 64 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Umbria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umbria
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Where to go besides the..."
- Wrote a Review Very good option for Valnerina:... in Umbria Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Very good option for Valnerina: stay in Preci"
- updated a Umbria Travel Page "When god created paradise - he created Umbria :-)"
- Commented on one of lee.evelyn's Umbria travel pages
Videos in UmbriaSee All Videos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 398 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 77 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 55 reviews, 271 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 240 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 40 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (136)
Top Umbria hotels
- Assisi Hotels
- 212 Reviews - 629 Photos
- Orvieto Hotels
- 209 Reviews - 736 Photos
- Perugia Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 363 Photos
- Gubbio Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 552 Photos
- Cerreto di Spoleto Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Spoleto Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 119 Photos
- Passignano sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 8 Photos
- Norcia Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 54 Photos
- Bevagna Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 161 Photos
- Umbertide Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Tuoro sul Trasimeno Hotels
- 8 Hotels
- Trevi Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 17 Photos
- Todi Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 162 Photos
- Terni Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Spello Hotels
- 17 Reviews - 51 Photos