"Marche: charming gem in middle Italy :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Marche by Trekki

Marche Travel Guide: 615 reviews and 1,790 photos

Italian region Marche captured my heart - forever. It took some time until I fell under its spell but ever since I cannot get it out of my thoughts when I am not there, driving around, wandering around, exploring, meeting people, finding something extraordinary.
It is a magic region. A region full of spiritual places!
And I have only seen parts of it!

So how did this all happen, what will follow and what are the consequences?
Until mid 2012, Umbria was my favourite region in Italy, especially due to my tight connections to beautiful Gubbio and the people. Umbria, the “green heart of Italy”, had captured my heart since 2008, but quite quickly I realised that it was less the western part of Umbria, but more the mountain regions, or the western part of Appennini (Apennine Mountains) which I like so much. I addition, anytime I drove from Ancona Airport to Gubbio, I saw the rolling hills, the olive and wine groves left and right of the highway and the villages high on the hilltops, before the road cuts into the Apennine Mountains. And I always thought that I should discover more of the region, apart from what I saw already during my first trip in mid 2008 (Fabriano, Grotte di Frasassi, San Leo and Urbino).
Finally in May 2011 I managed to do a short roundtrip through eastern Umbria and western Marche. Although this was only for five days, it was a beautiful and enchanting trip which inspired me to explore even more of the region. Those days Marche’s provinces of province Ancona and province Macerata were the ones I visited, especially the parts closer to Appennini (and not the beaches). Here I found more of these the rolling hills with farmland and thus delicious produces, countless little charming villages, often on hilltops. Or found spectacular canyons and gorges flanked by steep walls. Hidden gems are around every corner, be it a church, a hermitage, a cave or remains of ancient settlers. Imagine this with a very much diversified cuisine, friendly locals and marvellous events – you will believe you have found another paradise.

In May and June 2012 I spent more time in this magnificent region, in the villages of Corinaldo and Pascelupo to be precise. From there I drove through more enchanting landscapes, visited lovely little museums, countless churches and abbeys, gorges and charming villages.
And lost my heart ... forever....
My most favourite "sight" was Badia di Sitria, in the region of Monte Cucco. A place full of spirituality and energy.

But it will take me a while until I will write about my recent trip. Please be patient.

In the meantime, enjoy what I have written so far and get inspired too :-)

As for single destinations in Marche, I have written about the following towns:
Fabriano,
Urbino,
San Leo,
San Ginesio,
Lago Cingoli,
Santuario di Macereto,
Sassoferrato,
Ancona Airport,

[Status: as of January 2012] More to follow one day.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Marche: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Jan 20, 2013

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2014 at 6:47 AM

I like VT pages which show a real love for a particular place - this is really inspiring. I hope to be able to check out Gola del Furlo at some point. Never heard of it despite years visiting the Marche and your photos are lovely.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Lovely page Ingrid on this beautiful Italian region.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Jan 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Thank you Dee for having walked through Marche with me :-)))

• Jul 25, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Guess who got their baby to sleep for a bit? Lol!!! Lovely round up of Marche region! I think when I take baby toCroatia we might ferry across to Ancona. You better be waiting for us ;-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Excellent page with brilliant writing as always, Ingrid! I would visit Grotte di Frasassi as well. I quite agree with you that a car allows the highest degree of freedom to come and go as one likes. As you know we travel in Europe by our own car. It’s convenient but we usually lose 2 days on the way to Germany (about 2000 km) and two days on the way back home (total 4000 km). We’ve never rented a car in Germany though our friends did it. We’re still afraid of this kind of traveling by rented car (and fines for speeding like in Italy, haha! Irina loves Germany with its unlimited speed on autobahns)), but may be one day…

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Definitly better and much cheaper than Dustin Hoffman spot for the region. Awfully San leo moved to emilia romagna region(richer than marche).

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

What a wonderful region! I love the sight of the Colfiorito especially (and yummy, lentil soup!), but the cave and Fabriano and all the old churches are also fantastic! Your descriptions of your meals made my mouth water, and I can't believe the price of the one at the agritourismo!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

A charming gem indeed! I love the Planes of Colfiorito in bloom. How nice it would be to go hiking there in that season. And I would love to take the red tour at Grotte di Frasassi. Too bad the church near Sassoferrato was closed when you visited.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Hi Ingrid, you have added lots more tips/reviews and updated just about everything since I last looked at this page in 2008. Beautiful photos and impressive texts! Not only are there several picturesque villages and towns in this area, but also the paper and watermark museum in Fabriano, which sounds really fascinating.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Feb 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Ingrid, it's great that you keep adding more and more updates and new tips to this beautiful page.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Feb 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Thanks dear Don!! I will add more because I want to give Sarah more options to choose from when she comes visiting me again in May :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Hello, Ingrid!~ I see it's a fabulous place! Thanks for sharing your experiences!~

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

You've most certainly have discovered so many wonderful to see and to share with us. Thank you! Wonderful page!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Marche