"Marche: charming gem in middle Italy :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Marche by Trekki
Marche Travel Guide: 583 reviews and 1,671 photos
Italian region Marche captured my heart - forever. It took some time until I fell under its spell but ever since I cannot get it out of my thoughts when I am not there, driving around, wandering around, exploring, meeting people, finding something extraordinary.
It is a magic region. A region full of spiritual places!
And I have only seen parts of it!
So how did this all happen, what will follow and what are the consequences?
Until mid 2012, Umbria was my favourite region in Italy, especially due to my tight connections to beautiful Gubbio and the people. Umbria, the “green heart of Italy”, had captured my heart since 2008, but quite quickly I realised that it was less the western part of Umbria, but more the mountain regions, or the western part of Appennini (Apennine Mountains) which I like so much. I addition, anytime I drove from Ancona Airport to Gubbio, I saw the rolling hills, the olive and wine groves left and right of the highway and the villages high on the hilltops, before the road cuts into the Apennine Mountains. And I always thought that I should discover more of the region, apart from what I saw already during my first trip in mid 2008 (Fabriano, Grotte di Frasassi, San Leo and Urbino).
Finally in May 2011 I managed to do a short roundtrip through eastern Umbria and western Marche. Although this was only for five days, it was a beautiful and enchanting trip which inspired me to explore even more of the region. Those days Marche’s provinces of province Ancona and province Macerata were the ones I visited, especially the parts closer to Appennini (and not the beaches). Here I found more of these the rolling hills with farmland and thus delicious produces, countless little charming villages, often on hilltops. Or found spectacular canyons and gorges flanked by steep walls. Hidden gems are around every corner, be it a church, a hermitage, a cave or remains of ancient settlers. Imagine this with a very much diversified cuisine, friendly locals and marvellous events – you will believe you have found another paradise.
In May and June 2012 I spent more time in this magnificent region, in the villages of Corinaldo and Pascelupo to be precise. From there I drove through more enchanting landscapes, visited lovely little museums, countless churches and abbeys, gorges and charming villages.
And lost my heart ... forever....
My most favourite "sight" was Badia di Sitria, in the region of Monte Cucco. A place full of spirituality and energy.
But it will take me a while until I will write about my recent trip. Please be patient.
In the meantime, enjoy what I have written so far and get inspired too :-)
As for single destinations in Marche, I have written about the following towns:
Santuario di Macereto,
[Status: as of January 2012] More to follow one day.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Corinaldo is an ideal base to explore the northern part of Marche’s Provincia Ancona. I found Corinaldo through Piccola... more travel advice
- See All Marche guidebooks: extraordinary places...
- Marche = hiking unlimited! A Paradise!
- Living nativity near Frasassi caves
- See All Delicious local restaurant at Lago...
Trekki's Related Pages
Marche Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marche: charming gem in middle Italy :)"
- "Just wander and lose yourself"
- "Castles/Palaces, Sea/Mountains, & Food/Wine..."
- "Ancona & Co."
- "xaver's new Marche Page"
- "Our little secret"
- "Le Marche Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marche
- Hotels in Marche
- Transportation in Marche
- Nightlife in Marche
- Restaurants in Marche
- Shopping in Marche
- Warnings and Dangers in Marche
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marche
- 56 Reviews
- 211 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Marche?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marche
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: How to download/copy all my..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Marche travel pages
- Wrote a Review Gola del Furlo - fascinating and ancient :-) in Marche Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gola del Furlo - fascinating and ancient :-)"
- updated a Marche Travel Page "Marche: charming gem in middle Italy :)"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues