"Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence" Top 5 Page for this destination Italy by Trekki
Italy Travel Guide: 69,710 reviews and 186,847 photos
Italia, my beloved Italia….. I was in Italy quite often as a kid (Adriatic sea, Roma, Napoli, Capri, and all these typical touristy places). Later I lost sight of it because I wanted to “conquer the planet” (travel to all the exotic countries and regions like Patagonia, Colombia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc). But in 2007 I came back to my senses and have decided to explore more of my own continent Europe. Now Italy wasn’t that far away anymore.
Apart from several hiking trips in Italy’s alps, my first “grown up” travel was to Venezia in May 2007. I fell in love and deeply regret that I didn’t speak enough Italian (if any) to talk to the people and to learn more about the city and her secrets. Some of these secrets I discovered though, at least I think so. Well, Venezia has planted this desire to come back to Italy and this is what I did in April 2008. My original plan was to travel through Emilia-Romagna, but during planning I realised that I wanted to see more of the regions south of it, namely Umbria and Marche. However since I had booked a flight to Bologna and rented a car, I was able to travel at least to the Adriatic Coast and visit the region where I had spent several holidays as kid. The rest of the days I drove through Marche and Umbria and it was one of the most enchanting trips. It deepened my love for Italia and I could not wait to get back. Luckily I found a perfect teacher for my language lessons. She lives and teaches Italian in one of the most magic cities, Gubbio and I already look forward to my next lessons and all the lessons to come.
So what can you expect here on my Italia pages? Not Roma, not Napoli, not Toscana, not Amalfi coast. These are the places where almost everything is being said and written, at least for the major cities and sights. I was once in Firenze, but will most probably never return there. What I have listed in the to-do section are villages and cities which are very much overlooked by the travellers who want to visit Italy. But by adding them to Italy’s to-do section I want to add a bit of a different colour to the Roma-Napoli-Amalfi-Firenze-Pisa-Siena bulk. However, in case you look for the best written piece about Firenze, look at Brenda's page. At least I have added a bit of Venezia.
Since May 2007 I have been in Italy at least twice a year. It seems that I hardly spend my holiday/vacation time anywhere else but in Italy. Umbria, Marche, Emilia Romagna so far. I have only begun to discover hidden secrets in these parts and will continue to do so. My next destinations will hopefully be Abruzzo, Lazio (province of Rieti), Campania (Cilento) and Molise.
If I ever manage to tear myself away from Umbria and Marche.....
My next trip to Italia will be May 2012, Gubbio of course and surroundings :-)
Welcome to Bella Italia – it has more to offer than the typical touristic sights.
Since my Italy writings have grown over the time, I have decided to list each individual review in a separate album. If you like, pick the ones that match your interest:
=> Italy reviews
Oh, and in this context I found the most magic and special website about "small town Italy": Family Life s.r.l., a company with seat in Atella, Basilicata, has made more than 600 videos about the small towns in Italy. I could sit and watch for hours and found already many many villages I must visit.
Thank you guys, from the bottom of my heart!
Another interesting project is Meraviglia Italiana. It is directed to the Italian youth and means not to forget the wonders of Italy, apart from the famous cities.
Enough material for me to fall in love with too :-) It is about the historical events, the special celebrations, the saints, the people, the values.
May 24, 2012, the winner will be announced :-)
And to get you into the mood, I have picked some typical songs from youtube. First of all, the most famous of all, unfortunately not sung by Adriano Celentano but by Squadra Azzurra: Azzuro.
Eros Ramazotti, Ti amo,
Umberto Tozzi, Tu,
Angelo Branduardi, La pulce d'acqua,
Gianna Nannini, Bello e impossibile,
Al Bano & Romina Power, Felicità
Just to name a few .-)
One other song now does not get out of my head, although it is old and has a sad historica background. But... it is gorgeous, and the lyrics as well:
One more, especially for those who want to return again and again and again: Tornerò (in the version of Pupo).
Oh, and very famous, very emotional with a specific meaning for me is Andrea Bocelli - Con Te Partirò. When I leave the planet one day, I want this to be played while my ashes are scattered on the slopes of Mte. Ingino :-)
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Heaven on earth: the people, the food, the landscape, the culture, the art, the atmosphere: history and traditions alive :-)
- Cons:The tourist magnets like Roma, Venezia, Firenze get more and more crowded. And Italy can't be reduced to these only.
- In a nutshell:Heaven - I will live here one day :-)
Surely a dreamlike hotel in the middle of Umbria is L’Orto degli Angeli in Bevagna. Restaurant Redibis, which belongs to... more travel advice
It makes me really sad to see that approx. 90% of the questions in our Italy forum are about the famous cities and... more travel advice
- See All Spello: Umbria’s flower town & amazing...
- See All Very cheerful cemeteries
- See All Delicious snacks: zero need to look for...
- See All No warnings, just learn some "rules" :)
- See All Marina Rinaldi - what a gorgeous...
- See All While you are sightseeing
- See All Hiking in Alto Adige: enchanting
- See All Utmost trash: M. di Blasi, Frances Mayes
- See All Madonna della Stella, with fascinating...
Been to Italy?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Italy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buongiorno Italia, Ti amo Italia"
- "ITALIA - PREGO!"
- "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- "Italia nel cuore"
- "Italy wishlist"
- "The Many Faces of Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Italy
- Hotels in Italy
- Transportation in Italy
- Nightlife in Italy
- Restaurants in Italy
- Shopping in Italy
- Warnings and Dangers in Italy
- See All...
Explore the World
- United States of America
- Kuala Lumpur
- Kejimkujik National Park Hotels
- Shiloh National Military Park Hotels
- North America
- Sedona Hotels
- Hong Kong
- Lido Key Hotels
- Batac Hotels
- Ayer Itam Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- Ho Chi Minh City
Badges & Stats in Italy
- 648 Reviews
- 2,815 Photos
- 536 Forum posts
- 28 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Italy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Italy
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who's Brave Enough?"
- updated a Italy Travel Page "Italia - awakens passion, gives life & confidence"
- Commented on one of goodfish's Italy tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "ZTL: limited&controlled car traffic, several towns"
- Commented on the Italy Warnings and Dangers travel guide
- Wrote a Review Marvellous old palazzo in... in Italy Hotels
Videos in ItalySee All Videos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 57 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
Top Italy hotels
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Venice Hotels
- 8187 Reviews - 21637 Photos
- Florence Hotels
- 5098 Reviews - 11237 Photos
- Sorrento Hotels
- 637 Reviews - 1431 Photos
- Milan Hotels
- 2803 Reviews - 6987 Photos
- Positano Hotels
- 300 Reviews - 633 Photos
- Bologna Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2935 Photos
- Verona Hotels
- 1711 Reviews - 4298 Photos
- Taormina Hotels
- 259 Reviews - 700 Photos
- Bergamo Hotels
- 1095 Reviews - 4318 Photos
- Amalfi Hotels
- 255 Reviews - 728 Photos
- Genoa Hotels
- 726 Reviews - 1881 Photos
- Santa Margherita Ligure Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Montecatini Terme Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 96 Photos
- Catania Hotels
- 262 Reviews - 547 Photos