"Oh holy glass and glass blowing maestros" Top 5 Page for this destination Växjö by Trekki

Växjö Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 170 photos

Oh well, I am fully aware that I didn’t wrote one single tip about Växjö because I simply didn’t make it into the city. In addition, the VT database has only läns (administrative divisions) for Sweden and not regions, which is why I cannot write about Småland, the province, because it simply does not exist in the database and is most probably not easy if not possible to add in the near future. If I would follow the län-logic, I would have to write in both, Kalmar Län and Kronobergs Län. So I abandoned my usual writing “logic” on VT and added all I did and see in the Kingdom of Crystal on this Växjö page. I think that the majority of the people who want to visit glass factories might look at Växjö. Maybe at Kosta, but this maybe if they want to visit Kosta only.

Ok, but back to the eastern surroundings of Växjö. That’s a huge forested region and was ideal some centuries ago to start glass blowing. There is an abundance of little rivers and lakes and trees to fire the ovens. Kosta was the first to settle here and then more came. By now it is 14 glass factories to visit and of course to buy. But in addition to the glass factories, there are countless of little beautiful churches in Växjö’s surroundings. I have visited two of them and one of it was definitely one of the most beautiful and magic one I ever saw.

So in theory, all tips I wrote here might classify as off-path. But…. as for me almost nothing is off-path because it means classification, running always to the famous sights and leave the lesser known neglected, I have added all these to the to-do section. Because in my opinion they are well worth a visit, no matter how far they are away from Växjo.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Växjö: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Hello, Ingrid! ><><>< It's a great page about that marvelous destination... The glass is magic!....><><><

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2010 at 8:24 AM

A fantastic page, Ingrid, I am in love with the glasswork on the front page. And a very good tip on the real artists :) I totally agree with you there. Thanks for sharing :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM

Only you could have brought us these incredible tips about glass and paper. Only you would have taken the time and work to create your own artwork...through words...so that we could vicariously experience this marvelous world. Priceless.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Grazie for a stunning intro to the world of Swedish glass! Great tour. Bravo, <(•¿•)>

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 8:51 AM

What a fascinating Kingdom of Crystal you have found there and have told us on VT! Something like that we saw in former Baltic republics in the USSR far ago and we even bought such a vase there (and it's still alive, haha!). Thanks Ingrid for this VT job!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2009 at 4:13 AM

Fascinating accounts of the glass-blowing etc; stunning photos too. But maybe I enjoyed little Granhult church even more :-)) And for the glass, the simplicity of the blåkant work appeals to me most, and some of Målerås too. But no milk for me please ;-)

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 3:18 AM

What an art form! Really great tips. I especially appreciate the suggestion of the camera settings in the glass factories. Thank you for the great tour.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Oh, these glass objects are so beautiful!! Absolute perfection of design and the effort of the 'real workers'!! Lovely 'marina' series & 'friends' with little animals looking out of the glass bottom :) Milk with your meal? Hum... Excellent work, Ingrid!!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Came back for more milk. ;) Not much of a shopper but Bergdala Wärdshus sounds like it's worth coming for in itself and must admit some of that glassware is beautiful.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Great updates since I last visited! It looks like you really enjoyed exploring the glass-making establishments in this part of Sweden! What an amazing array of goods they produce - such beautiful patterns and unique shapes!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Växjö