"Oh holy glass and glass blowing maestros" Top 5 Page for this destination Växjö by Trekki
Växjö Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 169 photos
Oh well, I am fully aware that I didn’t wrote one single tip about Växjö because I simply didn’t make it into the city. In addition, the VT database has only läns (administrative divisions) for Sweden and not regions, which is why I cannot write about Småland, the province, because it simply does not exist in the database and is most probably not easy if not possible to add in the near future. If I would follow the län-logic, I would have to write in both, Kalmar Län and Kronobergs Län. So I abandoned my usual writing “logic” on VT and added all I did and see in the Kingdom of Crystal on this Växjö page. I think that the majority of the people who want to visit glass factories might look at Växjö. Maybe at Kosta, but this maybe if they want to visit Kosta only.
Ok, but back to the eastern surroundings of Växjö. That’s a huge forested region and was ideal some centuries ago to start glass blowing. There is an abundance of little rivers and lakes and trees to fire the ovens. Kosta was the first to settle here and then more came. By now it is 14 glass factories to visit and of course to buy. But in addition to the glass factories, there are countless of little beautiful churches in Växjö’s surroundings. I have visited two of them and one of it was definitely one of the most beautiful and magic one I ever saw.
So in theory, all tips I wrote here might classify as off-path. But…. as for me almost nothing is off-path because it means classification, running always to the famous sights and leave the lesser known neglected, I have added all these to the to-do section. Because in my opinion they are well worth a visit, no matter how far they are away from Växjo.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Only a handful of glass manufacturers have employees who do both, design and the real work on the ovens with the pipes.... more travel advice
Granhult kyrka (= church) is the most beautiful church I ever saw. Yes, even compared to Basilica San Marco’s glittering... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Växjö Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of glass and US emigrants"
- "Oh holy glass and glass blowing maestros"
- "Henrik's Växjö page"
- "Capital of "The Kingdom of Crystal""
- "Vaxjo - Turn Left at IKEA"
- "WELCOME TO MY VäXJö PAGE......:-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Växjö
- Hotels in Växjö
- Transportation in Växjö
- Restaurants in Växjö
- Shopping in Växjö
- Warnings and Dangers in Växjö
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Växjö
- 17 Reviews
- 75 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (153)
Have you been to Växjö?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Växjö
- Posted in Travel Schloss Neuschwanstein Forum "Re: by car from Wurzburg to Fussen"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Växjö tips
- updated a Växjö Travel Page "Oh holy glass and glass blowing maestros"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bergdala’s B&B and restaurant, oh yummm!"
- Wrote a Review Some thoughts about the real artists! in Växjö Favorites
Photos in VäxjöSee All Photos (75)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 65 reviews, 300 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 239 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues