"Burano – colour your soul" Top 5 Page for this destination Burano by Trekki

Burano Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 688 photos

Burano was among one of the first islands where people settled long time ago in Venezia’s lagoon. As it is situated in the northern part of the lagoon, somehow sheltered by the big peninsula of Cavallino. This gave it a good climate and it also didn’t let mosquitos spread out that much here.

Men lived from fishing nearly all of the time. The women did take care of the homes and also learned the special lace making, punta in aria, for what Burano was very much famous in 16th and 17th century, and still is somehow.

A visit there is a feast for the eyes, as nearly all of the houses are painted in different vivid colours. This makes it a very prominent destination for tourists and also painters and artists, who get inspired by all this colourful world.

I liked Burano very much, although I was a bit sad how much cheap tourism took over and makes a lot of locals sell crap rather than good handicraft. But given time and thus costs of real Burano lace, it is difficult to judge what might be better.

Before I offer you a hand to show you “my Burano”, I would like to express special thanks to Simone, Christine and Sandy, who made me go there, and to my sweet darling camera, without which I could not show you the beauty of Burano as I have perceived it on May 9, 2007.

I still left Burano with several questions, which you can find in my writings:
One is a cry for help of Leyle, our expert in Byzantine art and culture, to explain please the background and name of Byzantine ornaments in Burano. The others are plants I can’t remember the name of and a building with most probably religious background, where I would like to know what it is serving now.

So come with me and enjoy the picture postcard beauty of Burano. If you still haven’t got enough, there are 5 travellogues with more colours inside.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Colour - colours - colours - ahh
  • Cons:Hm, somehow overcrowded, but well...
  • In a nutshell:A feast for camera and eye - and stomach :-)
  • Last visit to Burano: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Just had another read. It really is a fascinating place! Like all your photos!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

The bright colours are nice. When I was reading, I was thinking to myself and wondering what the lady of the house would say if she recognized her washing. Then I read your next tip and you said about it! I had to laugh!

• leics's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

That was me, researching for the trip with the farmer's wife. I'm not much into birds either but was hugely impressed by the Shetland ones (gannets are biiiig birds!). If you want to see the puffins (which are tiny and lovely) you'll need to go before I can, because they pootle back out to sea around the beginning of July.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 12:55 PM

It is too bad to see that such a place has become overrun with Chinese made immitations. I don't know how you are able to keep your ban on buying things made in China as we here in the USA can only find items made there.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 7:23 AM

How wonderful colourful Burano is! It is now on my wish list of places to see!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Stunning colours... Speaking of laces - we've got here in Poland the laces of Koniakow- probably not as famous as those in Burano, but also very beautiful. Bth, answering your question about my holidays - i visited Namibia, Botswana and SA.

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Once again we have become aware of the fact that we have never been on Burano. On our next trip to Venice we'll have to :-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Such vivid colors saturating homes and landscapes! The lovely old street signs with barely readible etchings are of interest, too.....Burano looks like something out of a picture book!

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Du weißt schon, wohin wir fahren. Schöne Seiten!!!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Wow, what an arcobaleno of colored houses! An outstanding page! I feel I prefer by far Burano to Venice! May be we will go to Burano and skip Venice, haha!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Burano