"Burano – colour your soul" Top 5 Page for this destination Burano by Trekki
Burano Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 688 photos
Burano was among one of the first islands where people settled long time ago in Venezia’s lagoon. As it is situated in the northern part of the lagoon, somehow sheltered by the big peninsula of Cavallino. This gave it a good climate and it also didn’t let mosquitos spread out that much here.
Men lived from fishing nearly all of the time. The women did take care of the homes and also learned the special lace making, punta in aria, for what Burano was very much famous in 16th and 17th century, and still is somehow.
A visit there is a feast for the eyes, as nearly all of the houses are painted in different vivid colours. This makes it a very prominent destination for tourists and also painters and artists, who get inspired by all this colourful world.
I liked Burano very much, although I was a bit sad how much cheap tourism took over and makes a lot of locals sell crap rather than good handicraft. But given time and thus costs of real Burano lace, it is difficult to judge what might be better.
Before I offer you a hand to show you “my Burano”, I would like to express special thanks to Simone, Christine and Sandy, who made me go there, and to my sweet darling camera, without which I could not show you the beauty of Burano as I have perceived it on May 9, 2007.
I still left Burano with several questions, which you can find in my writings:
One is a cry for help of Leyle, our expert in Byzantine art and culture, to explain please the background and name of Byzantine ornaments in Burano. The others are plants I can’t remember the name of and a building with most probably religious background, where I would like to know what it is serving now.
So come with me and enjoy the picture postcard beauty of Burano. If you still haven’t got enough, there are 5 travellogues with more colours inside.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Colour - colours - colours - ahh
- Cons:Hm, somehow overcrowded, but well...
- In a nutshell:A feast for camera and eye - and stomach :-)
I came across this building while wandering around in Burano in the very east of the island. First, I thought, it must... more travel advice
I was positively surprised to see this device to transport wheelchairs over this bridge in Burano. I alsodid see a lot... more travel advice
- Visit the museum first before you buy...
- See All Some northern Germans live here ?
- Quick coffee, before you take the boat
Trekki's Related Pages
Burano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burano – colour your soul"
- "Burano - land of thousands colours"
- "United Colours of ....Burano!"
- "Burano - Colourful Little Island of the Lagoon"
- "Colourful Burano"
- "Bold, Beautiful, But Buggy, Burano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burano
- Transportation in Burano
- Nightlife in Burano
- Restaurants in Burano
- Shopping in Burano
- Warnings and Dangers in Burano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burano
- 25 Reviews
- 133 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 44 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Burano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burano
- Posted in Travel Memmingen Forum "Re: Rufbus from the Airport"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Burano travel pages
- updated a Burano Travel Page "Burano – colour your soul"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colour heaven 5 - laundry"
- Wrote a Review Former church ? Convent ? Anybody knows ? in Burano Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues