"Fabriano - oh holy paper and watermark :-))" Fabriano by Trekki
Fabriano Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 108 photos
Imagine you have started your long needed holidays in Italy. Imagine in the early part of these days you are in a rather unknown little city in middle Italy and it rains cats and dogs. But you feel happy, you like it there, you even plan to stay one night longer than intended. If you have this picture – then you roughly get the idea why Fabriano was a highlight even despite the bad weather. Ah, such a nice town this is, and much more reasonable than the places I’ve been so far.
But – it is not only a nice and friendly village in the south western part of Le Marche but also the centre of oh holy paper. And that’s how I found it while I prepared my “Umbria” holidays. I was looking up the surrounding area of the villages I planned to visit in Umbria and came across the name “Le Grotte di Frasassi”. I had never heard of these but what the websites described sounded perfect, as I like caves and this one was described as the biggest and most beautiful of whole Europe. Then I checked where about I might stay for visiting the caves and found a town called Fabriano close by. I checked on google and… couldn’t believe my eyes (and that I’d never heard of it before): Fabriano is the place on this planet where the watermark was invented – as early as 1293!! And it is the centre of paper manufacturing in Italy, and even more specific, where the paper for Italian Euro banknotes is made. I can write that without revealing secrets, as it is also mentioned on the video, the paper museum sells. As I have a professional interest in these things, it was most logical that I would also visit the paper museum. Oh how less did I know of how fascinating it would be before I set out to visit Fabriano.
Ah yes, the caves – these were the second highlight of my stay here. It is a bit of a drive to the north, but if you approach the caves from the west (Genga), then you will additionally be awarded with a drive through a marvellous gorge, carved by the Esino river, the one who was responsible for carving the caves.
I was a bit amazed that nothing has been written about Fabriano and the surroundings so far, at least not for the destination Fabriano itself (maybe it is hidden in Italian or Marche pages). So I try to do my best, although I have to say that not everything was open when I was there in April 2008. Too much has been damaged during the fatal earthquake of 1997 (the one that did huge damage to the Basilica di San Francesco in Assisi). But this will change, it changes constantly. You should contact the very friendly and very competent tourist office in Fabriano for actual information about open churches and museums.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Fascinating town, not overrun by tourism and the most fascinating paper museum I can think of :-)
- In a nutshell:Go and see yourself :-)
Some very clever but obviously completely uninformed person once wrote that the first watermark was invented in Bologna... more travel advice
If you read about Fabriano in any guidebook, I am sure that all information regarding opening hours or “locations” of... more travel advice
- How to get to Fabriano
- Parking rules and narrow cities :-)
- See All Beautiful frescoes everywhere
- See All Don’t miss the gateway frescoes!!
Trekki's Related Pages
Fabriano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fabriano - oh holy paper and watermark :-))"
- "Hidden treasures"
- "The city made of paper"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fabriano
- Hotels in Fabriano
- Transportation in Fabriano
- Restaurants in Fabriano
- Shopping in Fabriano
- Warnings and Dangers in Fabriano
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fabriano
- 20 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Fabriano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fabriano
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Don't Copy if you cant..."
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Fabriano travel pages
- updated a Fabriano Travel Page "Fabriano - oh holy paper and watermark :-))"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fabriano - oh holy paper and watermark :-))"
- Wrote a Review Oh holy watermark (and paper) in Fabriano Favorites
Photos in FabrianoSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (168)
Latest Fabriano hotel reviews
- Collegio Gentile
- 1 Review & Opinion