Gubbio Transportation Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Gubbio Transportation: 9 reviews and 29 photos
Location of Gubbio, Fossato and Perugia
Gubbio does not have a train station, which makes it a bit of a proper planning to get there by public transport. The nearest train station is in Fossato di Vico, approx. 20 km southeast of Gubbio. But since there are only a few busses from there, it might not make much sense to take this option. Better is to travel to Perugia and take a bus from here, there are ten busses per day to and from Perugia. Busses to and from Gubbio arrive at Piazza Quaranta Martiri, which is quite convenient since it is at the bottom of the town, inside the town walls.
Bus connections from Perugia:
Bus schedules from Perugia (Gubbio is bus no. 22).
The nearest airport is in Perugia, however this is more of a national airport. Alitalia has flights from Milano to Perugia by now. Alternative airports are Ancona or Roma (with train connection to Fossato) or Bologna.
Driving distances: Ancona – Gubbio: 1 hour, Bologna – Gubbio: approx. 3 hours. (Roma – Gubbio: no idea, but according to Google maps also approx. 3 hours).
Update, October 2010:
On most of my trips to Gubbio so far I arrive at Ancona Airport (Falconara). This is the best choice because it is a small airport with full facilities but one does not get lost. It is also not near Ancona city but some 20 km west at the coast. There is direct access to the main highway SS76, the one which leads west to Fabriano, Fossato di Vico and Perugia. I have rented cars from either Hertz or Europcar, got them very quick and was quickly out of there. The distance from the airport to Gubbio is approx. 70 km and it took me a bit more than 1 hour, but then the road has been drilled into the Appenin mountains with a lot of tunnels. I haven’t driven this road in winter yet, it might be a bit of a challenge since I am sure that it is a snow region.
One very important note though in this context: take in mind that gas stations on the superstrada open only at 6 am. On my last trip in August 2010 my flight left at 7 and I was at the airport at 5:45. Too early to fill up the car, so I had to pay additional gas filling fee. I should have talked to the Europcar guys when I picked up the car....
Ancona airport is being served by Lufthansa and other airlines. I flew Lufthansa from Frankfurt and had to change planes in Munich. From Munich it was Air Dolomiti, which codeshare with Lufthansa. It was a pleasant flight (well, two..or four if I count the return trip as well).
© Ingrid D., February (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update August 2010 - bus schedule from Perugia added.
The cabins of Gubbio funivia
An alternative to the hike up to Basilica Sant’Ubaldo is to take the funicular. But… this is only for the brave-hearted and definitely nothing for anyone with even the slightest feeling of fear of heights or vertigo. I never saw such a “passenger cabin” before and don’t even find the best word to describe it. They look like cages without seat, so the passenger has to stand all the way to the top. Each one seems to have space for two persons. Entering and exiting seems to work easy and the staff is present at the bottom to assist and also at the top. A trip uphill is also quite reasonable with 4 € per person and 2,50 € for kids older than 6 years (as of August 2010). The operating times of the funivia depend on the month. In the summer months of July and August it operates daily from 9:00 to 20:00, during the other month it closes during noon time (13:15 to 14:30).
In the meantime I used it and can say that it is really fun. Of course it is safe and of course the staff at the bottom and at the top makes sure everyone gets into and out of the cages without problems.
It is easy to find: walk through Porta Romana (the town gate at the south-eastern part of Gubbio), outside the city walls and turn left (north) before Chiesa S. Agostino. You will reach it after a few metres.
I am sure that I saw a website of this funivia mentioned at the ticket booth. But I can’t find it anymore. However, the website below lists all opening hours. In the meantime an own website of Funivia Colle Eletto exists. Funny intro, but also inside the prices are not mentioned. The schedule however is.
Oh, and who might be afraid to use it should simply get into one of the baskets and start singing: Funiculi, Funiculà. Not that it has anything to do with this funivia, but it is fun to sing. Here is text/lyrics :-)
Gubbio’s funivia on Google Maps.
© Ingrid D., November 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.), update August 2010.
More Reviews (78)
- See All Festa dei Ceri: highlight of Gubbio's...
- See All Passion, very much characterises i...
- See All Fresh pasta – to die for
- See All Authentic Eugubini dishes, no tourists
- See All Festa di Ceri - GET OUT OF THE WAY!
- Endless hiking, hang-gliding and caves
- See All THE meeting point in Gubbio
- See All Abbazia San Verecondo and SanFrancesco
- See All Home away from home: Residenza Via...
- Good and comfortable shoeas are a MUST!
- See All Don’t get trapped in the narrow streets!
Been to Gubbio?Share your travels with the world!
Trekki's Related Pages
Gubbio Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gubbio: a very proud, very pure Umbrian town"
- "A place apart"
- "Gubbio, where history lives"
- "The ancient town of Gubbio"
- "A Town with Great Character, History, Traditions"
- "One of our favorite Umbrian Towns"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gubbio
- Hotels in Gubbio
- Transportation in Gubbio
- Nightlife in Gubbio
- Restaurants in Gubbio
- Shopping in Gubbio
- Warnings and Dangers in Gubbio
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gubbio
- 80 Reviews
- 405 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 60 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Gubbio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gubbio
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: What place do you want to see..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Gubbio travel pages
- updated a Gubbio Travel Page "Gubbio: a very proud, very pure Umbrian town"
- Uploaded a Photo to ":-) Dreams *come* true :-)"
- Wrote a Review Festa dei Ceri: highlight of Gubbio's events in Gubbio Things to Do
- Uploaded a Video to Gubbio
Videos in GubbioSee All Videos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 67 reviews, 304 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues