"Magic has a name - Abbazia San Pietro in Valle" Macenano by Trekki
Macenano Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 60 photos
An account only for an accommodation you might say? Yes, because this is more than an accommodation, this is a place where you might not know if you are still on earth or already sitting on your white little cloud in heaven, play the harp, rejoice and sing your daily hallelujah.
So how did I end up here?
I came from Fabriano, drove along Valneria to the north and then to Norcia. I had planned to see Piano Grande and the magnificent flowers, but most logically they won’t appear as early as April (I must have been the only dumb idiot on the planet who seriously thought there might be even one flower, haha). Quite on the contrary – Piano Grande greeted me flecked with white spots: snow. So I didn’t even drive up to Castelluccio but back to Norcia. I was in desperate need of some caffé doppio and water and also of something to eat. But I wanted to wait until the evening as it was my “second evening”, per definition I had decided to eat only every other day, but then real Italian. Somehow the accommodation options in Norcia didn’t satisfy me, maybe I was still a bit disappointed that Piano Grande was low in the clouds and no single sight of any flower.
So I went back into the car and drove back into the Valnerina. By then it was getting darkish and looked like rain and I was alreay a bit frantically browsing my books for suggestions as of where to stay. Luckily my ADAC (German version of AA) did list Abbazia San Pietro in Valle as the nearest location, an old church I wanted to see anyhow. The book only mentioned 16 nicely set-up rooms in monastery ambience. What an understatement……
As you can see in the photos, the sky had mostly dark grey clouds floating around or leaking dark clouds where the wet drops were falling down to earth in waterfall speed. But this didn’t matter at all, as long as I had this wonderful room and the heavenly dinner. It was a bit of a racing underneath the drops though – as my raincoat was sitting where it was of most value…. in the car…
(*)Sorry, I don’t want to offend anyone but for some of us Germans and very much so for the Bavarians amongst us, a cute old sketch related to sitting on a white little cloud in heaven, play harp, rejoice and sing hallelujah almost immediately jumps into our mind when we think of sitting on a white cloud in heaven:
rejoicing, short version with hallelujah only
the full version
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
I think it will be difficult or at least time consuming to visit the abbey by public transports. The hotel, however, has... more travel advice
Abbazia San Pietro in Valle was on my wishlist ever since I saw a photo on Google Earth. And when I finally arrived... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Macenano Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Macenano
- Hotels in Macenano
- Transportation in Macenano
- Restaurants in Macenano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Macenano
- 5 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Macenano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Macenano
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Help with itinerary "
- Commented on one of Trekki's Macenano travel pages
- created a Macenano Travelogue "Marvellous frescoes inside the church"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Marvellous frescoes inside the church"
- Wrote a Review How to reach San Pietro in Valle in Macenano Transportation
Photos in MacenanoSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues