"Magic has a name - Abbazia San Pietro in Valle" Macenano by Trekki

Macenano Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 60 photos

dedicated to a heavenly accommodation only :-)

An account only for an accommodation you might say? Yes, because this is more than an accommodation, this is a place where you might not know if you are still on earth or already sitting on your white little cloud in heaven, play the harp, rejoice and sing your daily hallelujah.

So how did I end up here?
I came from Fabriano, drove along Valneria to the north and then to Norcia. I had planned to see Piano Grande and the magnificent flowers, but most logically they won’t appear as early as April (I must have been the only dumb idiot on the planet who seriously thought there might be even one flower, haha). Quite on the contrary – Piano Grande greeted me flecked with white spots: snow. So I didn’t even drive up to Castelluccio but back to Norcia. I was in desperate need of some caffé doppio and water and also of something to eat. But I wanted to wait until the evening as it was my “second evening”, per definition I had decided to eat only every other day, but then real Italian. Somehow the accommodation options in Norcia didn’t satisfy me, maybe I was still a bit disappointed that Piano Grande was low in the clouds and no single sight of any flower.
So I went back into the car and drove back into the Valnerina. By then it was getting darkish and looked like rain and I was alreay a bit frantically browsing my books for suggestions as of where to stay. Luckily my ADAC (German version of AA) did list Abbazia San Pietro in Valle as the nearest location, an old church I wanted to see anyhow. The book only mentioned 16 nicely set-up rooms in monastery ambience. What an understatement……

As you can see in the photos, the sky had mostly dark grey clouds floating around or leaking dark clouds where the wet drops were falling down to earth in waterfall speed. But this didn’t matter at all, as long as I had this wonderful room and the heavenly dinner. It was a bit of a racing underneath the drops though – as my raincoat was sitting where it was of most value…. in the car…

(*)Sorry, I don’t want to offend anyone but for some of us Germans and very much so for the Bavarians amongst us, a cute old sketch related to sitting on a white little cloud in heaven, play harp, rejoice and sing hallelujah almost immediately jumps into our mind when we think of sitting on a white cloud in heaven:
rejoicing, short version with hallelujah only
the full version

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Macenano: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 1, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Sounds lovely Ingrid! I'm sure you will return to see the inside of the Church!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Jan 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Thank you Dee :-)) Oh yes, I was, the year later, but didn't have the time to update. It is breathtakingly beautiful!!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM

The abby sounds absolutely delightful. The fresco in the reading room is so wonderful. Your blessed to be able to experience such wonderful places and sights. Thank you for sharing them.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I love your taste in food, Ingrid and even thugh I speak only a few words of German, the Angel on the cloud with the harp was hilarious. You must translate it for me.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 12:27 AM

What a lovely description of this village!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Hello, Ingrid! I agree with TheWanderingCamel about your enchantment... IT's reallu great! ><><><><><

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Hallelujah, a page I had missed and one w/ an amazing food tip. I just need a better job so I can afford to eat there. lol The room w/ wild boar sausage & goat cheese for breakfast sounds great. Almost seems like it should be a brewing monastery. ;)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Your enchantment with this place is infectious. A lovely little page. leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM

I returned, and I am glad. Fabulous travelogues with outstanding photographs. The abbey appears to be astounding. Your insights are keen, and your eye for beauty is wonderful.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Hi Ingrid, what a great place you found to rejoice and sing hallelujah. Thanks for telling us about Abbazia San Pietro in Valle, and also for including the link to the Ludwig Thoma piece in YouTube. (I think the full version is a lot funnier, by the way.)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 7:55 AM

Sometimes little unplanned experiences like this one are the best! Like you, I rarely throw out that much money on accommodations but this one is worth it! My wife & I had a similar experience in Guarda, Portugal.

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Macenano

Have you been to Macenano?

Photos in Macenano