"Milano Marittima - pearl of the Adriatic sea :-)" Milano Marittima by Trekki

Milano Marittima Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 96 photos

My short trip to Milano Marittima was more of a time travel and curiosity than the real desire to stay at the Adriatic Coast. But…. well, I maybe even come back to explore more, as this part of Italy is sadly somehow misjudged.
So it was a bit of a time travel. The cute girl in the second photo didn’t actually know that it would turn out to todays’ brat and be more of a hiker (aka Trekki) than of a beach person. But she obviously liked water and playing in the sand….
My parents were among the huge wave of German tourists who flooded the Adriatic sea towns in the post war times of end 50s, early 60s when this part of Italy became known as Teutonengrill (or Teuton barbecue). They took me in 1963 and we went later in the early 70s when my sister was little. I have some memories of the early days, of a quiet relaxing little town with loads of ice cream and hopping into the water. It was all clean these days. Later, this part of Italy became more and more popular and at a point in time it happened what tends to happen when too many people want to be in the same spot at the same time: the water got more and more polluted as were the beaches. And… this made many of the Teutons stay away and look for new barbecue grounds. But the region did a lot over the years to improve water quality, the beaches were kept clean all the time, strict rules were put up and the famous umbrellas and sun chairs were set up neatly in order to bring the Teutons back (who love order……, haha). But there was another effect all this restoring of reputation brought along: the Italians refused to feed the Teutons with “Teuton” food and proudly got back to making clear that this is Italy and not another Teutonic branch as sadly are some of the Balearic islands.
I was very much relieved to see this part of the world where I have spend my first holiday clean and really nice again and moreover that it was not "Teutonized" but has its own identity.

Milano Marittima is part of the Comune di Cervia and as a village quite new. It originates from early 20th century when the wealthy Milano family Maffei provided land north of Cervia to build mansions, parks and gardens and create an exclusive resort. Thus the name: Milano Marittima, something like Milano at the sea. I have read that the Italian architect Guiseppe Palanti was involved, who has implemented many ideas of British garden architecture pioneer Ebenezer Howard. This implied that the hotels and houses were embedded into the existing pine forests which surround Milano Marittima. And this gives it still today the impression of a very green resort at the Adriatic sea.

And if you like to find out that Milano Marittima and its mother city Cervia have more to offer than just only beaches – join me on a virtual tour please.

One "warning" though:
I should mention that this spirit, my writing reflects, was typical for April 2008 and most probably other Aprils or early or late season. I am almost sure that this serene atmosphere is gone during the high season months of July and August.

Next stop on my April 2008 trip was the small but beautiful Le Marche hilltop village of San Leo, where I was introduced to the magic wonder of cooking :-)

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Milano Marittima: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2011

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2014 at 11:05 PM

So good that it has been restored and German food "banned"! April looks to be a perfect time to visit.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Apr 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Thank you dear Malena for having walked through my childhood place :-)
      Yes, I am happy that they are proud serving Italian food again. April is fantastic! The only downside is that some things are closed, which reduces the accommodation and restaurant possibilities. But the weather was fabulous and spring in full bloom :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2014 at 3:37 AM

I've really enjoyed this page, so much I would like to see for myself. Your photos of the yachts are wonderful. The nice calm water for beautiful reflections makes them just gorgeous!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Thanks dear Dee for having travelled through this cute place with me :-)

• ashokSPB's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM

How time changes a small girl to the present Trekki, applicable to everyone. Time changes one's perception also.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2011 at 7:32 AM

"Teutonengrill" indeed I remember on a first visit in the 1960s in that north east part of Italy that the first language was German on the coast as well as in Venice.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM

I had no time to visit S Apollinare in Classe when I was in Ravenna (a reason to go back). Perhaps I could try Casa delle Aie too !

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Love the colorful red and yellow boats. Wishing you a happy Sunday!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Man spricht Deutsh, haha! Gorgeous photos especially like the one with those colourful old boats and the one with all the flowers in the foreground. I'm really craving for a walk on a beach somewhere.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 5:34 AM

Dear Ingrid- lol! you have a German head but an Italian heart. Love this page about your re-visit to MM. The church (Sant’Apollinare ) is magnificent. Butterfly pics beautiful. All tips well written and concise,=as usual. Hugs

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Does this mean Gubbio is finished? ;)

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 1:14 PM

What a beautiful and interesting page!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Milano Marittima

Have you been to Milano Marittima?