"Norcia – sausage and magnificent hiking" Norcia by Trekki

Norcia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 54 photos

... and "Italy in Umbria"

Norcia is a tiny village in eastern Umbria, surrounded by magic mountains. Initially I came here to see the famous Piano Grande, but could not see the magnificent wild flower blooming, as it was too early (these are changing the plain into a very colourful flower carpet early July). But at least I saw this fascinating forest at the hill slopes, where the trees have been cut to leave the shape of Italy only.
The fact that I couldn’t see more of Piano Grande was also the reason that I didn’t stay longer in Norcia, although this lovely little village deserves much more attention and justifies a stay of 1-2 days. But I will be back for sure, but then in early summer or autumn.

That’s also the reason why my Norcia page is rather small, it is of a stay of approximately only 3 hours.

From Norcia I went further southwest and found the most charming place to stay at Abbazia San Pietro in Valle.

• Pros:Tiny and lovely, very typical old Umbrian village
  • Cons:Noth that I know of any
  • In a nutshell:Old village, home of San Benedetto, sausage heaven and nearby hiking heaven
  • Last visit to Norcia: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2014 at 12:44 AM

A nice village!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Norcia is without doubt a very picturesque village, but it is Piano Grande that really appeals to me. I'd love to see it especially when the flowers are in bloom. If I happen to go to Italy next year, most probably it will be Umbria. Your great pages have much to do with it.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2010 at 3:46 AM

These sausages indeed sound (& look) heavenly but Himmel is only 20 minutes by tram from here. ;) Okay, maybe the hike AND sausages will get me there one day but for now this enlightening page will have to suffice. :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Hello, Ingrid! It's a wonderful place indeed! ! Vielen Dank für Deine poetische Beschreibung!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Fascinating 'Italy in Italy'!! Also had a look at other pictures and agree, next time you should visit in June/July when there are more colours :) I gladly leave those sausages to you and have more chocolate instead :))

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2010 at 7:33 AM

I see a hiking trip up Monte Vettore in my future. Thanks for the head's up!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Another fabulous presentation of why Italy is such an extraordinary place. Love your intense love and remarkable ability to share it with the rest of us. Bravo!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Your passion for Umbria shines through on this page, Ingrid. The Piano Grande “Italy in Umbria” tip is excellent. Chocolate shop would be a disaster for my diet, though. Interesting historical tips & pics.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 12:26 PM

What a delightful place and you tell it so well. I enjoyed the tour and enjoyed your photography. Have a great day!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Strange how we are both drawn to medieval measuring devices - I do love the trees depicting the shape of Italy & we have a loch here in the shape of Scotland = I'm sure I would love a visit here!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Norcia