Orvieto Off The Beaten Path Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Orvieto Off The Beaten Path: 15 reviews and 38 photos
Lago Bolsena, near Orvieto
Lago Bolsena is only a 30 minutes drive away from Orvieto (southwest). I didn’t spent much time here (which I regret), but while I was looking for accommodation, I thought I could at least drive to the lake and get an idea if I want to come back. And oh yes, I will definitely come back! Already the little road which winds downhill (exit SS 71 from Orvieto) gives a rough idea of how this lake was formed: it once was a volcanic crater which then filled with water. All has a very peaceful atmosphere.
I can’t write much at the moment, as I wasn’t here long enough to explore. But I’ve read a bit on their website (see website section below) and I am sure I will come back for a longer stay here. Please make sure to open the website link. I am amazed how extensive and informative this site is. It explains much about the lake and the Etruscan origins (they even write “welcome in our 4th millennium), how the lake was formed, much information about the villages and islands (including links to the respective websites and photo albums), actual waether forecast, restaurants and accommodation and extensive information about the sports possibilities.
Big kudos to the makers of this website!!
Tevere, Tiber river near Orvieto
To the east of Orvieto, only a couple of kilometres away is one of the lesser known Italian natural parks: Parco Naturale Regionale Tevere (Tevere = Tiber). There is Lago di Corbara, a manmade lake, which is a very serene and quiet part of the park. I have read that swimming is difficult because of a strong underwater current but hiking and biking in the northwestern part is a perfect option for some relaxed time. The route southeast of the river/lake is the quick but still scenic road in case you come by car from Todi. Here is also the little village of Civitella del Lago with the said-to-be most famous and best restaurants in Italy: Ristorante Trippini. But that’s also a quite dear one. The most scenic and picturesque road however is the one north of the lake (SS79), which leads through pretty and tiny villages like Prato, Capretta and San Giórgio.
The website below gives some hiking and birdwatching options for the park.
More Reviews (24)
- See All Eyes up: magnificent frescoes and...
- Famous Orvieto wine, oh so delicious
- Good shoes, tele lens and swimming gear
- See All Orvieto, easy to reach by plane and...
Trekki's Related Pages
Orvieto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wine, Etruscans and a magnificent duomo"
- "Orvieto: Ancient Hilltown Close To Rome: 2013"
- "Pottery heaven -- and other heavenly things"
- "The hill town of Orvieto"
- "Close to Rome And Worth a Visit"
- "The most marvellous duomo"
- "Classic hilltop town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orvieto
- Hotels in Orvieto
- Transportation in Orvieto
- Nightlife in Orvieto
- Restaurants in Orvieto
- Shopping in Orvieto
- Warnings and Dangers in Orvieto
- See All...
Explore the World
- Russian Gulch State Park Hotels
- Delaware Water Gap
- Querétaro Hotels
- Haina Hotels
- Sitka Hotels
- Chipping Campden
- Antigua Guatemala Off The Beaten Path
- Oklahoma City Off The Beaten Path
- Garretstown and the Old head of Kinsale.
- Cajun Country
- Estado da Bahia Off The Beaten Path
- Saint Lucia Off The Beaten Path
- Jeju-do Off The Beaten Path
- Windsor Off The Beaten Path
- Roswell Off The Beaten Path
- Seward Off The Beaten Path
- Dawson Off The Beaten Path
- Jewish Life
Badges & Stats in Orvieto
- 26 Reviews
- 173 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Orvieto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orvieto
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Who's Brave Enough?"
- updated a Orvieto Travel Page "Wine, Etruscans and a magnificent duomo"
- Commented on one of leics's Orvieto tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wine, Etruscans and a magnificent duomo"
- Wrote a Review Eyes up: magnificent frescoes and carvings in Orvieto Local Customs
Photos in OrvietoSee All Photos (173)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 57 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (168)
Latest Orvieto hotel reviews
- Locanda Rosati
- 216 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel La Badia
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Agriturismo La Rocca Orvieto
- 1 Review & Opinion
- B&B CasaSelita
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- Palazzo Piccolomini
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- B&B Sant'Andrea
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hotel Orvieto
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013
- Umbria Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- B&B Villa degli Ulivi
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Casa Flavia
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 16, 2013
- B&B Garibaldi Orvieto
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013