"Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Siena by Trekki
Siena Travel Guide: 899 reviews and 2,730 photos
So this was my “entry” into famed Toscana. I don’t like the Toscana very much, especially because of the hype people create around it. It is as if many non Italians reduce Italy to Toscana only and shops are full with books about the region, with art lessons, with cooking lessons and all kind of stuff. This always produces a no thanks feeling in me and if it would not have been for the language lesson, I might have never came to Siena. Well, no, that’s not true; I would have come for Palio because the roots of these passionate historical festivals in Italy fascinate me very much.
What to expect to read about my Siena impressions? Actually not as much as many might think. When I was writing, I realised that I was only enthusiastic about a handful of views and sights. Not about the Duomo and certainly not about the Campo. But I liked Palazzo Pubblico and its exhibitions and I liked the old hospital very much. I fully enjoyed my few hours in Crete Senesi and the views. I didn’t see everything in Siena, missed so many churches and museums and regret that I didn’t visit Palazzo Chigi-Saracini. But I had a nice time, especially in Dante School with my dear teachers and especially in my mornings and evenings with my sweet host lady Orietta. And even if this page might lack the spirit I produce in other pages, I want to dedicate it to all of you dears who made my stay special: Orietta and my teachers Letizia, Francesca and Claudio. Thanks!
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Small and walkable, lively town, interesting festivals
- Cons:Very hilly, which can be tiresome if one packs in too many sights on a day
- In a nutshell:Well worth a longer stay: Siena is more than Campo and Duomo!!
Oh my. The famous Campo of Siena. Wikipedia says that it is one of Europe’s greatest medieval squares and renowned for... more travel advice
The church Santa Maria dei Servi has maybe the best location in Siena for a gorgeous panorama of the town. It was built... more travel advice
- See All Fantastic photogenic old clocks...
- See All Remote location, Crete Senesi: Monte...
- Comfortable shoes - walk, walk, walk...
- See All Learn Italian: Dante School is...
Trekki's Related Pages
Siena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A thousand shades of brown"
- "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- "Siena is wonderful place"
- "The true star of Tuscany"
- "Siena, the ochre city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siena
- Hotels in Siena
- Transportation in Siena
- Nightlife in Siena
- Restaurants in Siena
- Shopping in Siena
- Warnings and Dangers in Siena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siena
- 39 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 34 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Siena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siena
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Moving house"
- updated a Siena Travel Page "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- Wrote a Review The famous Campo: not really a piazza..... about Piazza del Campo in Siena Things to Do
- Commented on one of Jefie's Siena travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues