"Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Siena by Trekki

Siena Travel Guide: 899 reviews and 2,709 photos

So this was my “entry” into famed Toscana. I don’t like the Toscana very much, especially because of the hype people create around it. It is as if many non Italians reduce Italy to Toscana only and shops are full with books about the region, with art lessons, with cooking lessons and all kind of stuff. This always produces a no thanks feeling in me and if it would not have been for the language lesson, I might have never came to Siena. Well, no, that’s not true; I would have come for Palio because the roots of these passionate historical festivals in Italy fascinate me very much.

What to expect to read about my Siena impressions? Actually not as much as many might think. When I was writing, I realised that I was only enthusiastic about a handful of views and sights. Not about the Duomo and certainly not about the Campo. But I liked Palazzo Pubblico and its exhibitions and I liked the old hospital very much. I fully enjoyed my few hours in Crete Senesi and the views. I didn’t see everything in Siena, missed so many churches and museums and regret that I didn’t visit Palazzo Chigi-Saracini. But I had a nice time, especially in Dante School with my dear teachers and especially in my mornings and evenings with my sweet host lady Orietta. And even if this page might lack the spirit I produce in other pages, I want to dedicate it to all of you dears who made my stay special: Orietta and my teachers Letizia, Francesca and Claudio. Thanks!

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Small and walkable, lively town, interesting festivals
  • Cons:Very hilly, which can be tiresome if one packs in too many sights on a day
  • In a nutshell:Well worth a longer stay: Siena is more than Campo and Duomo!!
  • Last visit to Siena: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Hello! What a marvellous page......Richard and I are finally coming to Italy in late July. We intend to stay in Florence, hire a car, and drive north- Bologna, Sienna and Milan. Your tips were very helpful. We have 2.5-3 weeks so may even get to Gubbio.
    Hope that you are well? Have not heard from you in ages. Big hugs

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Ingrid, I LOVE that you take the time to give little history lessons in the your reviews. That, for me, is what makes a tip fascinating and make me want to GO there! And as always, your lovely photos bring them all to life. Excellent pages: especially enjoyed your "customs" insights!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM

My favorite city in Italy. First visit in ... 1966.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Ingrid, your page is great - interesting to read, packed with useful information but also very personal. I loved the historical background - although, like you, I wasn't interested in history at school. I've saved your tips for my summer visit to Siena.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM

excellent page, made so real by input from a local. really enjoyed reading this. nb - never a bad time for good gelato.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Hi Ingrid, I enjoyed reading your detailed and differentiated tips on Siena -- not only what impressed you, but also what didn't impress you and why. Great that you found such an excellent language school for your Bildungsurlaub!

• Dec 12, 2010 at 3:22 AM

a fantastic page ingrid, interesting to read your views and opinions. i enjoyed the tip about the first bank, a shame the public can't see such things.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Some gorgeous sights well-captured. Seems not so crowded & a lot more "hospitable" than the crazy tourist town I might have expected. The small details are always the best & Sienna seems to have many. Not a bad place for "school." ;)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Another perfect page about an Italian gem! I dream to visit Sienna for a long time since my first and last visit to Italy in far 1996. You may see the same swallow-tail pinnacles made by Italian architects in the Moscow Kremlin Walls in the 16th century.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Excellent tips as always, even if Sienna didn't move you as other Italian cities have. Loved the Oratorio at the hospital, the stained glass of San Francisco and the pastries of Bini. And I would still like to see the Campo and decide for myself ... :-)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Siena