"Hiking in RN Cerro Castillo" Villa Cerro Castillo by Trekki

Villa Cerro Castillo Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 118 photos

Coyhaique, a little town in Chile's province Aisen (Aysen) is starting point for a lot of exciting hikes, for fishing, for kayaking and so much more of any kind of outdoor activities you can imagine.
We did a spectacular hike here, through the pristine landscape of Reserva Nacional Cerro Castillo.

As it seems that Coyhaique is not a popular spot here in VT, I have decided to describe the full trek in the "Things to do" tips.
Hopefully, it will encourage the hikers among you to visit this place one day - as for me it was a wonderful alternative to the constant overflowing National Parks of Patagonias' south.

• Last visit to Villa Cerro Castillo: Dec 1999
  • Intro Written Sep 24, 2005

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

What a wonderful trek you did, well, maybe except the "Murderous Descent". Beautiful mountain views, starlit nights, the moon, condors and tranquility sounds to have been lovely!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Hello, Ingrid! I see it was a wonderful hike! Good for you! Thanks for sharing! ><><><><

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Oh, Ingrid, I just love your journal format that makes it so that we are going along with you on your adventure. No wonder you are "Trekki"! Superior photographs.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM

I just finishes this wonderful mountain trek - and what an adbenture, dear Ingrid. Thanks for being my guide. I wonder of those red flowers (mitraria coccinea) are what they use to make red food colouring called coccineal??

• Sep 4, 2009 at 12:09 AM

i visited this page many moons ago, but felt like revisiting and reading about your hike. this sure looks like amazing countryside as well. chile has sooo much to offer the hiker! im in love with chile :) great page ingrid.

• Apr 8, 2009 at 1:22 AM

One of the best pages I have read on VT concerning the great outdoors. You've inspired me to get off my a$$ and go hiking. Now, unlike you, I must first overcome my battle with the bulge before doing anything.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM

Outstanding hiking and brilliant page! It reminded me once more my hikings in far 70th and 80th around the Northern Caucasus. Yes, how often I thought "never in my life" and came back again. I'm delighted you overcame these 65km with 27kg on your back!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Wonderful page Ingrid! I love the way you tell the story of your hike & the photos are stunning, especially of course that moonrise :)) Las Salamandras looks a great accommodation find - & how great to have spotted that deer :)

• ant1606's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 9:38 PM

Wish I could have time off in Dec/Jan to explore the end of the world in the lower hemisphere :( A very well written summary of your remarkable adventure! Keep going! Ciao - Ant :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 5:36 PM

Nice page!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Villa Cerro Castillo

Have you been to Villa Cerro Castillo?