"Colfiorito ? a magic high plain in May" Colfiorito by Trekki
Colfiorito Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 46 photos
Arriving in the high plain of Colfiorito on a sunny day mid May 2011 was one of these WOW effects, followed by an arrow prayer sent to heaven thanking whoever made me so often leaving the trotted paths during my travels. The first time I heard of this high plain was after my first trip to Umbria in April 2008 and - to be more specific ? after I wrote about Slow Food. I learned that the Slow Food enthusiasts have recultivated the small lentils up here on the plain, similar to the ones on Piano Grande near Castellucchio. And I also read that Colfiorito?s plain is partly a swampy area and has been transformed into a natural park. This all lead me to the desire to drive through and explore a little bit on my way from Bevagna via Abbazia Sassovivo to Preci in the north of Valnerina. Already the first part of driving along SS 77 eastward into the Apennine Mountains was magic. I passed a lot of hair-risingly built little villages like Pale left and right hand on the slopes of the hill. And then I arrived at the top. Nothing prepared me for this, especially since I did not expect the plain being in full bloom ? called fioritura in Italian. Breathtaking views of the plain and all wildflowers in full bloom: pink patches of wild orchids, red poppy fields, yellow broom and specks of blue and white and all shades of green. The views are similar to the ones of Piano Grande but much better in my opinion. Piano Grande is much higher and the landscape is also different. From what I saw it must be a hiking paradise with several explanatory trails leading through the high plains. I have included other sights I saw on my further way to Preci because they are typical for this part of Apennine Mountains and might inspire others to follow me exploring this part of Umbria and Marche.
Since November 4, 2011, Colfiorito is now part of VT database. Thank you Barbara/VT for having added it :-)
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
I went up to the high plains of Colfiorito by car. So I can?t say anything about public transport but I am sure that... more travel advice
As already mentioned, the region was inhabited already in the Iron Age. Several archaeological findings give evidence... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Colfiorito Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Colfiorito
- 4 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Colfiorito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colfiorito
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Strike for Lufthansa"
- updated a Colfiorito Travel Page "Colfiorito ? a magic high plain in May"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Colfiorito travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colfiorito ? a magic high plain in May"
- Wrote a Review The route and how to get there in Colfiorito Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 76 reviews, 345 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 87 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues