"Colfiorito ? a magic high plain in May" Colfiorito by Trekki

Colfiorito Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 46 photos

Arriving in the high plain of Colfiorito on a sunny day mid May 2011 was one of these WOW effects, followed by an arrow prayer sent to heaven thanking whoever made me so often leaving the trotted paths during my travels. The first time I heard of this high plain was after my first trip to Umbria in April 2008 and - to be more specific ? after I wrote about Slow Food. I learned that the Slow Food enthusiasts have recultivated the small lentils up here on the plain, similar to the ones on Piano Grande near Castellucchio. And I also read that Colfiorito?s plain is partly a swampy area and has been transformed into a natural park. This all lead me to the desire to drive through and explore a little bit on my way from Bevagna via Abbazia Sassovivo to Preci in the north of Valnerina. Already the first part of driving along SS 77 eastward into the Apennine Mountains was magic. I passed a lot of hair-risingly built little villages like Pale left and right hand on the slopes of the hill. And then I arrived at the top. Nothing prepared me for this, especially since I did not expect the plain being in full bloom ? called fioritura in Italian. Breathtaking views of the plain and all wildflowers in full bloom: pink patches of wild orchids, red poppy fields, yellow broom and specks of blue and white and all shades of green. The views are similar to the ones of Piano Grande but much better in my opinion. Piano Grande is much higher and the landscape is also different. From what I saw it must be a hiking paradise with several explanatory trails leading through the high plains. I have included other sights I saw on my further way to Preci because they are typical for this part of Apennine Mountains and might inspire others to follow me exploring this part of Umbria and Marche.

Since November 4, 2011, Colfiorito is now part of VT database. Thank you Barbara/VT for having added it :-)

If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.

My personal wish for next time is to stop in the village of Pale and walk up to the 13th century hermitage of Santa Maria di Giacobbe:
photos,
description,
description with more photos.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Colfiorito: May 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Good morning, Ingrid. Somehow I have missed this beautiful page up to now.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Love this area, a real "gem" you found!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2011 at 10:12 AM

The flowers are so lovely and ancient Church of Plestia looks marvelous!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I love poppy fields - gorgeous photos ! And a truly ancient church - another passion for me - it looks a wonderful place. leyle

• Jun 8, 2011 at 4:15 AM

oh gosh, this is seriously a dream place! love the flowers, the colors, the sunshine blue sky!!! so so nice!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2011 at 9:34 PM

The flowers, the colours, simply gorgeous!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Good to see you did not leave the sun behind in your old home country of Germany & also that the spring flowers were in profusion there as well but even with the sweet smell of lentils I miss the slow food descriptions. ;)

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2011 at 10:38 PM

The views of the plain and wildflowers in full bloom are really breathtaking! Loved the travelogues with all those colours. Really magic! :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Oh this is gorgeous - those flowers, those vibrant shades of green! How you must have loved it here :-) Wonderful travelogues images too!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Colfiorito

Have you been to Colfiorito?