"Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca" Top 5 Page for this destination Urbino by Trekki

Urbino Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 152 photos

Well, what can I say about Urbino? Actually not much because it wasn’t a typical travel visit that brought me here. I came here with special people late afternoon of August 15, 2010 for Festa del Duca. We went into a palazzo at Piazza della Repubblica, dropped our belongings, and swarmed out for a brief 30 minutes tourist visit, got back for group dinner and dressed up for the festa’s last event, the corteo storico. What came then was magic of course, and you might get an idea watching the short promotional video of Festa del Duca on RAI and our parade in the evening at Fortezza Albornoz.

Would I come back? Yes, maybe, to visit Palazzo Ducale and see the marvellous art collection it is famous for. Did I like Urbino? Well, yes, it is a nice city, but when we were all standing up on the fortezza hill looking down to the city, especially at the two roundish towers of Palazzo Ducale, the guys and girls (of Società dei Balestrieri di Gubbio) asked me if I like the city and which city is more beautiful in my opinion. I almost fell on the ground laughing (not a proper behaviour for an Italian Renaissance girl of course) and said what I still think today: no, Urbino, even if it is UNESCO listed, can never ever be as beautiful as Gubbio is. Urbino looks very inhomogeneous in style and just does not have this special atmosphere.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Urbino: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Really nice town, just arrived from there!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Sep 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM

:-) Welcome Santi :-)) Let me know when you write about it!! I am curious :-)

• Redang's Profile Photo
      Sep 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM

A bit lazy about writing, to be honest, it takes a lot of time

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I love the late afternoon light in your parking tip photo and the road sign in your favourites tip too - reminds me of Ancona :-) I can see that Urbino will never measure up to Gubbio for you, and I can see why for sure, but still it seems an interesting and photogenic town to visit - one day ...

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Ingrid, lucky you to be able to visit so many historic places in Europe, including a UNESCO heritage site like Urbino. The Festa del Duca also sounds like a great reason to visit!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Sounds like a charming little town, a place to visit from your home in Gubbio one day. ;)

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 5:15 PM

A brief enjoyable visit and page. I look forward to more tips and photos (taken with an authentic renaissance camera I trust). :))

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Another very interesting page in your Italy collection. Of course, Renaissance and cameras don't go together.

• Sep 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM

cute little page ingrid, im sure there will be more to add in future italian visits :)

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2010 at 11:00 AM

very nice photos from what looks like a colorful little town.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Lovely! :) I expect to see more pictures next time (well, next August, right?) when a Renaissance girl forget about the authenticity for a while, LOL

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Urbino