"Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca" Top 5 Page for this destination Urbino by Trekki
Urbino Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 152 photos
Well, what can I say about Urbino? Actually not much because it wasn’t a typical travel visit that brought me here. I came here with special people late afternoon of August 15, 2010 for Festa del Duca. We went into a palazzo at Piazza della Repubblica, dropped our belongings, and swarmed out for a brief 30 minutes tourist visit, got back for group dinner and dressed up for the festa’s last event, the corteo storico. What came then was magic of course, and you might get an idea watching the short promotional video of Festa del Duca on RAI and our parade in the evening at Fortezza Albornoz.
Would I come back? Yes, maybe, to visit Palazzo Ducale and see the marvellous art collection it is famous for. Did I like Urbino? Well, yes, it is a nice city, but when we were all standing up on the fortezza hill looking down to the city, especially at the two roundish towers of Palazzo Ducale, the guys and girls (of Società dei Balestrieri di Gubbio) asked me if I like the city and which city is more beautiful in my opinion. I almost fell on the ground laughing (not a proper behaviour for an Italian Renaissance girl of course) and said what I still think today: no, Urbino, even if it is UNESCO listed, can never ever be as beautiful as Gubbio is. Urbino looks very inhomogeneous in style and just does not have this special atmosphere.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Federico da Montefeltro is a rather illustrious figure. He was born illegitimate but the actual duke of early 15th... more travel advice
Urbino was added to UNESCO’s heritage list mostly because of the important role the city played during Italian... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Urbino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It's worth trying to find Urbino"
- "Town made of bricks"
- "One of the Reasons We Came to the Le Marche"
- "Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca"
- "August 15, 2010: Festa del Duca"
- "Interesting little Urbino"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urbino
- Hotels in Urbino
- Transportation in Urbino
- Restaurants in Urbino
- Shopping in Urbino
- Warnings and Dangers in Urbino
- See All...
Explore the World
- Shanghai Hotels
- Boca Barranca Hotels
- Isla Holbox
- Lago Albano
- Playa del Carmen
- High Cliff State Park Hotels
- State of Himachal Pradesh Hotels
- East Islip Hotels
- Rüdesheim am Rhein
- Eastern Parkway Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Besar
- Giardini Naxos
Badges & Stats in Urbino
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Urbino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urbino
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Time lapse"
- updated a Urbino Travel Page "Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Urbino travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Urbino, a brief special visit for a Festa del Duca"
- Wrote a Review Federico da Montefeltro, the famous duca :) in Urbino Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues