"Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice by Trekki

Venice Travel Guide: 8,257 reviews and 21,909 photos

… and surrounded by eternal beauty

By now it is already some weeks ago that I came back from my 12 days visit in Venezia and it is still there - the spell, this magic city poured over me. Anytime I close my eyes, it is there, it fills me with peace and harmony and the desire to come back (oh well, haha, I even wrote come back and not go back). She is like a woman in beautiful veils and sometimes she is willing to unveil a bit. These are the moments when you can catch a glimpse of her eternal beauty and this is when she casts this spell over you, which plants that desire into your soul to return to see more of her beauty. This is when you get addicted and know that there is something you just cannot control. She tempts you, she wants you to come back, she teaches you things you never knew before and she makes you do things you never did before. She changes you. There is nothing you can do against it, you will find yourself sooner or later again in one of the boats or busses that bring you there

Well, this is at least what she did to me. I was surrounded with her beauty. Every moment, I looked into her face, I discovered more beautiful details, more secrets, some of which I even don’t know that I have discovered them. For example, I was never interested in paintings and nothing would have scared me to death more as, let’s say, the prospect of queuing for hours in front of Louvre gate to squeeze myself through the masses, hardly get a glimpse of famous Monalisa and endure the endless high-sophisticated gaggling and blabbering of self-appointed art lovers about this or that paint brush. And then I was standing in front of or under paintings of Tiepolo, Bellini, Tintoretto, Canaletto, Veronese, which are all embedded in their original places like Sala del Maggiore Consiglio in Palazzo Ducale or Chiesa SS Giovanni e Paolo, and I marvelled at them as if I never had seen a painting before.
I had a similar feeling with all the buildings. Everything I had visited before was somehow wiped out from my memory. These buildings, all of different styles from Byzantine to Baroque, these most immense treasures in Palazzos, Galerias and churches, plus her unique position on more than 100 islands, erected on wooden poles – this all makes her so special, so magic, so… well, to fall in love with forever.

So there I was with this for me very much untypical wish to visit Venezia. I knew I had to go there, as so much “events” in my recent past just pointed to Italy and to her. Partly I was horrified (of the mass tourism, including me adding 1 to it), but I wanted to see Venezia with my own eyes, see it, feel it and find out if, what has been written about her since ages by very much talented writers and not so much ones, is true for me or if and what I would perceive different. See if I would start screaming, once I’d be squeezed on Piazza San Marco or see if I would find the city I was looking for – La Serenissima Venezia.

Well, to summarize “my Venezia”, I’d say:
* I found the most beautiful and magic city on our planet,
* I found so many prejudices absolutely not true, so that I will be very much sarcastic in some of my further writings and try to “clean up this mess” from my point of view :-),
* Since ages, it was the first time for me that I was really away and immersed in where I visited. No single thought of anything at home, job or private environment slipped into my mind (oh, stop, that’s a lie - there was occasional snail mail between Christine and me, but we had an important “Venetian business” to solve, lol),
* I realised some days after I was back home that I could write a book “how do you know that you are long enough in Venezia?” – whenever I saw a (construction) crane, I asked myself how it got there… without water channels,
* I never ever perceived Venezia as a gigantic open air museum or as a dying city with morbid charm. For me she showed herself as a very much vibrant city with very much friendly locals, beautiful houses, decorations, plants, marvellous food with busy markets and charming campos and cafes and traffic on water rather than on weird streets and highways,
* I fully understand and support Venezia’s and her officials’ arrogance towards the messy day tourism and the high price level around the neuralgic spots. If someone sees Venezia as a big Eurodisney and that “it can be done in 1 day”, well, there is a price for that ! If the price is too high – these masses are more than welcome to go to Eurodisney and be among themselves = the ones that would see Venice as an Eurodisney, but be aware, there is also an entrance fee. It is our own choice – to walk for some metres away from the neuralgic spots and find normal price levels, well price levels, Venetians pay (they are higher than on mainland, but I’ll explain this all later).
* I was very much ashamed about my own arrogance all the years before that prevented me from visiting Venezia, as I myself also saw it as a huge open air museum with the squeaking masses I never wanted to be part of. But as said above – it is only some metres to walk – and off they are and here she is, this magic city and her locals.

"My Venizia" here on VT

I thought about it back and forth if and if how I would write about magic Venezia.
So many good has been written already in books, websites and here on VT – so what could I add and furthermore, how do I believe I can add anything that has not been written yet. Finally I came to the conclusion to describe this magic city as I have perceived her in May 2007 (and updates to follow after my next visits). I will be quite sarcastic from time to time, mostly in the general section, as here I will reflect on the city and her exposed position in the lagoon, how this influences the life of the locals, how bad our own impact on the locals is, finally, and how much this all reflects in prices, entrance fees and other things. I don’t want to deliberately insult anyone but inspire and give room for own thoughts and considerations and maybe even bring some perceptions into another angle. Well, I strongly hope to be able to do this, as neither Venezianos nor Venezia deserve to be called scammers or one big tourist trap.

Before I come to an end in my intro, I would like to give my acknowledgements to especially Cristiano, Lidia and Paolo Riccio, who told me so much about their marvellous city and through whom I felt at home during my stay (even if I didn’t stay in their hotel the whole time), to the nameless guide for Palazzo Ducale’s Segreti Itinerari tour (on May 8, 9:45 a.m.), who told us so many secrets about the Palazzo, the city’s history and who gave Christine and me the most important hint for our search for background of the animal ornaments, to Toni Sepeda, who took me on a walk in the footsteps of Commissario Brunetti and of course, to Christine, Simone and Sandy for inspiring me to go, with their writings and photos.
And also thanks to Irena and Vladimir who have fallen under the same spell and gave me more inspirations for my next time. Make sure you look at their page as well, they are the real kings of off-path Venezia :-)))
Finally, to my beloved camera who had to work like mad in all these days. And to Nobby for making sunshine (haha, he was most probably egoistic and horrified with the thought of getting soaked when peering out of the backpack).

How to “read” “my Venezia ?
I am well aware that it will be much, well; it is the result of 12 incredible days. So you might like to know beforehand where to look for which info.

Things to to: will contain all I personally perceive as important walks and sights. Venezia just cannot be “done” in 1 day, as Christine already wrote. I’ll start with the islands and subsequent arrange my writings according to the sestiere, starting with Canaregio, Castello, San Polo, Dorsoduro and finish with the highlight of San Marco. (I was not in Santa Croce and on La Giudecca).

Local customs: will be my biggest section, these are all the details that make Venezia so charming and that explain so much of how life was and is on the islands.

Off path: are sights or places which I finally indeed consider as off path. Here I’ll write about the locations of the Brunetti books and movies and other old famous movies.

I am starting to write already, however, I’ll upload in “blocks”. General and restaurants and all that first, and later, the “things to do” and the alike.
I only can ask you to be patient and wait until I am completely finished.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:A magic city - most beautiful of the world :-)
  • Cons:... if there weren't we, the annoying tourists :-)
  • In a nutshell:Don't "do" Venezia - travel there and feel the real atmosphere
  • Last visit to Venice: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• Chinggis_n_Borte's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM

We adore Venezia too. It is enchanting, beautiful, magical, mesmerising, romantic....

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Ohhh yes :-))) Thank you Chinggis & Borte :-))

• anilpradhanshillong's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Fantastic tips! Needs a second reading!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I think I've covered it all by now. Whew!! what a page. Well done, my friend. It will be a great help to me when I return to Venice with the family in tow.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I had a good laugh with that cappuccino story.
    Superb photo of the Canale Cantiere. You are right Venice is the most magic city.

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2011 at 7:02 AM

I just love your Venice pages. I was feeling nostalgic for La Serenissima as I fed the chickens this morning. So I looked them over while I had coffee after chores. They were a real lift to my day.

Thanks Kiddo,

Randy

• Maria81's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2011 at 7:49 AM

Amazing page! We're going back (3rd time for me) later in the year and it made me realise how much there's yet to see!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I will be in Venice for only two nights in May. My son and I will stay in apartment for two nights in the Castello district. Your page is absolutely wonderful for some one so looking forward to being in Venice.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM

~ Hello, Ingrid! ~ Wonderful destination.... Reading your page I began to fall in love with it myself! Thanx!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Never tire of you excellent insights and extraordinary photographs. You are incredible..words escape me to describe my respect for these pages. Another Donna Leon reader, Hurrah!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Great venice page!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Venice