"Medellín - capital of Antioquia" Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín by Trekki

Medellín Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 506 photos

Medellín, with more than 2 mio of inhabitants, is capital of Colombian province of Antioquia, and the second largest city of Colombia.

Unfortunately it has a bad reputation for being the centre of drug trafficking, but this is no longer true, as the Cartel de Medellín is no longer existing and Pablo Escobar (it’s boss) is long dead. Today it is a lively and pleasant city, with University, a lot of museums and very nice restaurants.

Medellín is situated on around 1500 m above sea level and inmidst the Valle de Aburrá in Cordillera Occidental (one of the three ranges, the Andes are splitting up into in the north; the other two being Cordillera Central and Cordillera Oriental). It is all characterized by forests and very rich soil, so agriculture (mostly coffee plantations) is quite dominating in the surrounding area. This all makes up for a very mild climate and that’s why you can see a huge variety of plants and flowers, including orchids, in the city and around. And that’s why the city is also called Capital de las Flores (capital of the flowers) and Capital de la Eterna Primavera (capital of eternal spring). Each year, the Festival de las Flores (festival of flowers) is held each August, and I did see photos of the parade with very richly flower decorated floats (? cars for parades).

My experiences have only been on business travel, so unfortunately, I did not have much time to explore. It would be useless to give you the name of restaurants and hotels I stayed in, as I am afraid, they might either no longer be there or different than I have experienced them.

But at least, I did visit Pueblito Paisa :-)
And as this tiny spot is quite characteristic for Antioquia, I will tell you about it.

All pictures have been taken by myself, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

!! This page is not new - as it can be seen from the dates of writings.
I only have moved it to the right department. Haha, confused me has placed it under Dep. de Magdalena, where it does not belong to..... but to Antioqia (as I even wrote in my heading, but never noticed the mistake...)

Thanks dear M. for telling me :-))

• Last visit to Medellín: Nov 1998
  • Intro Updated Nov 3, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM

Nice page!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM

it must be a fascinating country

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Thanks for your good page, Ingrid.....

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Very good tips. Medellin still has its moments. A friend of mine got shot here. He was in hospital for 6 months and everybody else in the car was killed. He then told me, 'It's great! You should go there.'

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 1:28 PM

Pueblito Paisa looks lovely!! I already fell in love with those carved wooden balconies! Haha, absolutely love the general tip :)))

• Aug 5, 2008 at 1:25 PM

Also, Pueblito Paisa is a good model of a number of Colombian town I have been to. It is not a museum display, it is a good example of real towns. El Retiro looks like Pueblito Paisa, so does the town past La Ceja (don't remember the name).

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM

There can be few places whose name incurs such a negative reaction from those who have heard of it but never visited. Interesting to see the array of fountains and courtyards - would like to see some broader citywide photos if you have them!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I've enjoyed your glimpse of Medellin - as you say, usually known for the wrong reasons! And that "Carrapicho" now will go around my head all day! :))

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 7:58 AM

The name of Medellín reminds me American films about narcotic barons... Now I know it as a touristic attraction. Thanks Ingrid for the virtual tour around Columbia!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 8:53 PM

A cute corner of colonial Columbia :~)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Medellín

Have you been to Medellín?