"Medellín - capital of Antioquia" Top 5 Page for this destination Medellín by Trekki
Medellín Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 506 photos
Medellín, with more than 2 mio of inhabitants, is capital of Colombian province of Antioquia, and the second largest city of Colombia.
Unfortunately it has a bad reputation for being the centre of drug trafficking, but this is no longer true, as the Cartel de Medellín is no longer existing and Pablo Escobar (it’s boss) is long dead. Today it is a lively and pleasant city, with University, a lot of museums and very nice restaurants.
Medellín is situated on around 1500 m above sea level and inmidst the Valle de Aburrá in Cordillera Occidental (one of the three ranges, the Andes are splitting up into in the north; the other two being Cordillera Central and Cordillera Oriental). It is all characterized by forests and very rich soil, so agriculture (mostly coffee plantations) is quite dominating in the surrounding area. This all makes up for a very mild climate and that’s why you can see a huge variety of plants and flowers, including orchids, in the city and around. And that’s why the city is also called Capital de las Flores (capital of the flowers) and Capital de la Eterna Primavera (capital of eternal spring). Each year, the Festival de las Flores (festival of flowers) is held each August, and I did see photos of the parade with very richly flower decorated floats (? cars for parades).
My experiences have only been on business travel, so unfortunately, I did not have much time to explore. It would be useless to give you the name of restaurants and hotels I stayed in, as I am afraid, they might either no longer be there or different than I have experienced them.
But at least, I did visit Pueblito Paisa :-)
And as this tiny spot is quite characteristic for Antioquia, I will tell you about it.
All pictures have been taken by myself, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
!! This page is not new - as it can be seen from the dates of writings.
I only have moved it to the right department. Haha, confused me has placed it under Dep. de Magdalena, where it does not belong to..... but to Antioqia (as I even wrote in my heading, but never noticed the mistake...)
Thanks dear M. for telling me :-))
Nearly all courtyards of houses, restaurants and hotels do have lovely stone fountains. Usually they sit in courtyard... more travel advice
White (chalked) walls, wooden doors, usually painted in bright colors, some steps, and the first floor surrounded by... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Medellín Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "No sign of its past"
- "Medellín - capital of Antioquia"
- "A well run city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medellín
- Hotels in Medellín
- Transportation in Medellín
- Nightlife in Medellín
- Restaurants in Medellín
- Shopping in Medellín
- Warnings and Dangers in Medellín
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medellín
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Medellín?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medellín
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Retrocation - a new trend?"
- Commented on one of MalenaN's Medellín travel pages
- updated a Medellín Travel Page "Medellín - capital of Antioquia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pueblito Paisa – learn about architecture"
- Wrote a Review Courtyards with fountains – everywhere in Medellín Off The Beaten Path
Photos in MedellínSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 95 reviews, 429 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 315 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues