"Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town" Top 5 Page for this destination Villa de Leiva by Trekki

Villa de Leiva Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 431 photos

Update May 1, 2007:
I took advantage of the 5 photos per tip possibility and did group the photos. Plus, I wrote a bit more of explanations, as the stuff I wrote before (from my first days in VT) was rubbish.

Among all the little villages I did see on this planet, Villa de Leiva will always be my favourite, as it helds many wonderful memories and is a real cute village. Yes, it is often mentioned to be an artificial town, set up to attract tourists, but the heck, why not ? Apart from that, we are mostly talking about national tourists (= Colombianos), as sadly, Colombia isn’t receiving that much travellers as it should do, given the warm hearts of the Colombianos, their enthusiasm with music and life in general.
Oh, and it is not set up by the way, these colonial houses are all old, but preserved by now, after the village has been declared national monument (patrimonio histórico y cultural) in 1954.

Villa de Leiva is located some 200 km north of Bogotá, in province Boyacá, at 2140 m. You can reach it from Bogotá by busses, approx. 4 hours drive. It was founded in 1572 and named after Nuestra Senora de la Villa Santa María de Leyva.

The whole town is full of architectural and gardening beauty, so make sure, you will stay there minimum some days to explore. You can also take a horseback ride around town (some are mules, yes), as I did everytime I was here.

Usually, it is is not my style make a tip out of every picture I took, but in this case I feel like I must do it, as the whole setting of Villa de Leyva and the town itself is like a museum.
So I will place all of them in the off-the-beaten-paths - the little gems of balconies, doors, streets, houses, courtyards and so on.
But given the possibility to upload 5 photos per tip, I will combine the ones I had before.
Haha, otherwise the Misc. Forum mobsters will fall over this gem town, once they discovered that I might not have written enough. But... that's why it is updated now. More groupings, more explanations :-) Should satisfy the mobsters, lol.

May the pictures inspire you to do long discovering walks through this town and find even more gems :-)

All pictures have been taken by myself, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:the most beautiful colonial town in our galaxy :-)
  • Cons:absolutely nothing !
  • In a nutshell:Colonial architecture heaven :-)
  • Last visit to Villa de Leiva: Nov 1998
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Hello, Ingrid! You know, your page is enough for me to fall in love with that cute village! Thanks a lot! ><><><

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Thanks for sharing those cute courtyards in this corner of Colombia :~)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 7:38 AM

Another cute village high in mountains which worth tourist's attention. Balconies, flowers and fountains are beautiful. Thanks, Ingrid, for sharing!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 5:36 AM

What a lovely village! You were so lucky to see all these beautiful flowers.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2007 at 9:35 PM

I really loved Villa de Leyva! It is such a pretty town and it hasn't changed very much since you were there almost 10 years ago.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Villa de Leiva certainly was a charming little place--I loved the narrow cobblestone streets, overhanging balconies and pretty courtyard complete with fountain and that precious little one smiling for the snapshot!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 9:07 AM

What a lovely place - I would have been enchanted too. leyle

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Nice updates = you used your free time well!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM

It does look like a mule and good to see Pablo again. ;) From what I see, Columbia looks like one of the cleanest of S. American countries!

• Mar 28, 2007 at 12:52 AM

the type of town that i can imagine the protagonists in isabel allende's books would live in! such beautiful architecture... uff, i really love this style! :)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva

Have you been to Villa de Leiva?