"Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town" Top 5 Page for this destination Villa de Leiva by Trekki
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 431 photos
Update May 1, 2007:
I took advantage of the 5 photos per tip possibility and did group the photos. Plus, I wrote a bit more of explanations, as the stuff I wrote before (from my first days in VT) was rubbish.
Among all the little villages I did see on this planet, Villa de Leiva will always be my favourite, as it helds many wonderful memories and is a real cute village. Yes, it is often mentioned to be an artificial town, set up to attract tourists, but the heck, why not ? Apart from that, we are mostly talking about national tourists (= Colombianos), as sadly, Colombia isn’t receiving that much travellers as it should do, given the warm hearts of the Colombianos, their enthusiasm with music and life in general.
Oh, and it is not set up by the way, these colonial houses are all old, but preserved by now, after the village has been declared national monument (patrimonio histórico y cultural) in 1954.
Villa de Leiva is located some 200 km north of Bogotá, in province Boyacá, at 2140 m. You can reach it from Bogotá by busses, approx. 4 hours drive. It was founded in 1572 and named after Nuestra Senora de la Villa Santa María de Leyva.
The whole town is full of architectural and gardening beauty, so make sure, you will stay there minimum some days to explore. You can also take a horseback ride around town (some are mules, yes), as I did everytime I was here.
Usually, it is is not my style make a tip out of every picture I took, but in this case I feel like I must do it, as the whole setting of Villa de Leyva and the town itself is like a museum.
So I will place all of them in the off-the-beaten-paths - the little gems of balconies, doors, streets, houses, courtyards and so on.
But given the possibility to upload 5 photos per tip, I will combine the ones I had before.
Haha, otherwise the Misc. Forum mobsters will fall over this gem town, once they discovered that I might not have written enough. But... that's why it is updated now. More groupings, more explanations :-) Should satisfy the mobsters, lol.
May the pictures inspire you to do long discovering walks through this town and find even more gems :-)
All pictures have been taken by myself, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:the most beautiful colonial town in our galaxy :-)
- Cons:absolutely nothing !
- In a nutshell:Colonial architecture heaven :-)
In Carrera 9, between Calle 13 and Calle 15, there is a shop, in which you can buy excellent and unusual ceramics. As... more travel advice
The more we walk away from Plaza Mayor, the more wide open the streets get. Still cobblestone, left and right are... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Villa de Leiva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A gem not hidden: Villa de Leyva"
- "Charming Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leyva"
- "Villa de Leiva"
- "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- "Colonial Perfection"
- "Enjoying the past"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Villa de Leiva
- Hotels in Villa de Leiva
- Transportation in Villa de Leiva
- Nightlife in Villa de Leiva
- Restaurants in Villa de Leiva
- Shopping in Villa de Leiva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Villa de Leiva
- 10 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Villa de Leiva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Villa de Leiva
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have you ever experienced an..."
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Villa de Leiva travel pages
- updated a Villa de Leiva Travel Page "Villa de Leyva - the most charming colonial town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Open streets and lovely residences"
- Wrote a Review Fine art ceramic in Villa de Leiva Shopping
Photos in Villa de LeivaSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues