"Zipaquirá - home of the gorgeous Salt Cathedral" Top 5 Page for this destination Zipaquirá by Trekki
Zipaquirá Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 173 photos
Zipaquira – Colombia
Located roughly 1 hour’s drive north of Bogotá on 2650 m, Zipaquirá is a typical vivid colombian town.
It’s most famous spot is a huge salt mine, which is still active today.
One of the closed galleries has been transformed into a huge cathedral – Catedral de Sal. On over 8000 qm ground, it has space for 8000 visitors. Every altar, cross, sculpture is handcarved out of salt blocks. Illuminated only by hidden light sources, it creates a magical and mysteric atmosphere – as if not of this world.
Zipaquirá is located some 60 km north of Bogotá, easily reached by bus or by car. In my opinion the best way to drive... more travel advice
Even Michelangelo's famous "Cration of Adam" has been carved out of salt. It shows it's magic by the blue illumination. more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Zipaquirá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Decided Colombian Experience: Zipaquira"
- "Zipaquira - The Salt Cathedral"
- "Zipaquirá - home of the gorgeous Salt Cathedral"
- "Beautiful Colonial Town With the Salt Cathedral"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zipaquirá
- Hotels in Zipaquirá
- Transportation in Zipaquirá
- Restaurants in Zipaquirá
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zipaquirá
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Zipaquirá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zipaquirá
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have a Happy Thanksgiving!"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Zipaquirá travel pages
- updated a Zipaquirá Travel Page "Zipaquirá - home of the gorgeous Salt Cathedral"
- Wrote a Review Location of Zipaquirá in Zipaquirá Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Inside the cathedral - "Michelangelo""
Photos in ZipaquiráSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 65 reviews, 301 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 85 reviews, 210 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues