"PN Alerce Andino - magical rainforest" Laguna Sargazo by Trekki

Laguna Sargazo Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos

Beautiful of rainforest in Chile

Important note: this page is NOT new and I also didn't change text or photos - I have only transferred what I have added once to Puerto Varas to Laguna Sargazo now.
Laguna Sargazo is one of the lakes in PN Alerce Andino.
The closest town, Correntoso, is not listed in our destination list.

South of Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas Chile's rainforest area spreads out. This region is dominated by moisture forests, where trees, bushes and bamboo quickly grow and partly make hiking an adventurous experience :-)

PN Alerce Andino is a little, less visited national park, where you can experience rainforest at it's best, and it is as well a reserve for the giant alerce trees (distantly related to sequoia).

From PN Alerce Andino website:
"This conifer of slow growth and excellent wood is endangered and this park is one of its main refuges.
Although the alerce (larch) is the dominant tree, the park also has other species typical of Evergreen woods: coigüe, lenga, mañío, tineo, canelo and tepa, among others.

The park also boasts around fifty little lagoons hidden throughout the forests and mountains. Of them, the most well known are the Sargazo, Chaiquenes, Triángulo, Fría and Pangal lagoons. "

one additional remark :-)

When re-checking all my tips, I realized that a lot of them might sound as warnings and prevent you from visiting this gorgeous park.

This is NOT my intention !! (of course not).

For me, this park was really one of Chile's hidden beauties, as I never had experienced a rainforest in such a close manner. When visiting, the walk itself to the entrance was quite strenous (hiking for 5 hours along a gravel street...), and also the warnings we have read about hantavirus made us feel a bit weird.
But the guardaparque people are extremely nice, helpful and take off some worries from your mind. And they really do A LOT in taking care of the park and the trails - as well as for it's visitors health and safety.
Despite of the heavy rain, the muddy trails, the horseflies, for me, trekking trough this park was an extremely rewarding experience !
It were simple moments - for example as in the picture - suddenly the rain stopped and the sun came out somewhere - it was as being part of a fairy tale :-)

• Last visit to Laguna Sargazo: Dec 1999
  • Intro Updated Mar 8, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Nice page!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Dec 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Oh thanks Jim!!! I almost forgot about this age old page!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Wet, muddy, slippery, full of horseflies and ...enchanting, beautiful, magical. Too far for me so thank you for the virtual tour. Gorgeous pictures and interesting useful tips.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 4:13 AM

What an adventure Ingrid to hike through a real rainforest. Stunning pictures also.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Interesting hiking possibility here but I don't like when it's slippery. Great rainforest in the mist picture.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM

Can ANYTHING keep you dry in Patagonia? ;) I know the tabanos well and boy they were attracted to my dark hair! Love the shot from the tent. What a great place and free yet. Thanks for now bring Chile back in our picture. lol

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM

Great trip and excellent page, Ingrid! Laguna Sargazo reminded me Alpzee in Hohenschwangau. Though campground living is now beyond my sense of humor! Ha-Ha! Too old and too lazy for such things... Thanks for the virtual tour to such a distant place.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 5:07 PM

No doubt, this is the closest that I'll be to a pristine rain forest so thank you for your masterful presentation. The horsefly does sound aggravating, though. Magnificent photographs.

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 7:04 AM

tabanos are a headache everywhere Very good pages and photos "Gracias"

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2006 at 10:24 PM

Some logs need long legs ;~)

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Vit B are good against Horseflies, I know from my time in the selva! *..*& of course white dress is an excellent camoflage LOL stunning page chica!!, stunning!!loooove the Botellita !!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Laguna Sargazo

Have you been to Laguna Sargazo?

Photos in Laguna Sargazo