"PN Alerce Andino - magical rainforest" Laguna Sargazo by Trekki
Laguna Sargazo Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 54 photos
Important note: this page is NOT new and I also didn't change text or photos - I have only transferred what I have added once to Puerto Varas to Laguna Sargazo now.
Laguna Sargazo is one of the lakes in PN Alerce Andino.
The closest town, Correntoso, is not listed in our destination list.
South of Puerto Montt and Puerto Varas Chile's rainforest area spreads out. This region is dominated by moisture forests, where trees, bushes and bamboo quickly grow and partly make hiking an adventurous experience :-)
PN Alerce Andino is a little, less visited national park, where you can experience rainforest at it's best, and it is as well a reserve for the giant alerce trees (distantly related to sequoia).
From PN Alerce Andino website:
"This conifer of slow growth and excellent wood is endangered and this park is one of its main refuges.
Although the alerce (larch) is the dominant tree, the park also has other species typical of Evergreen woods: coigüe, lenga, mañío, tineo, canelo and tepa, among others.
The park also boasts around fifty little lagoons hidden throughout the forests and mountains. Of them, the most well known are the Sargazo, Chaiquenes, Triángulo, Fría and Pangal lagoons. "
When re-checking all my tips, I realized that a lot of them might sound as warnings and prevent you from visiting this gorgeous park.
This is NOT my intention !! (of course not).
For me, this park was really one of Chile's hidden beauties, as I never had experienced a rainforest in such a close manner. When visiting, the walk itself to the entrance was quite strenous (hiking for 5 hours along a gravel street...), and also the warnings we have read about hantavirus made us feel a bit weird.
But the guardaparque people are extremely nice, helpful and take off some worries from your mind. And they really do A LOT in taking care of the park and the trails - as well as for it's visitors health and safety.
Despite of the heavy rain, the muddy trails, the horseflies, for me, trekking trough this park was an extremely rewarding experience !
It were simple moments - for example as in the picture - suddenly the rain stopped and the sun came out somewhere - it was as being part of a fairy tale :-)
As is it for rainforests - the humidity is present everywhere. And the fog rising from the trees or the lakes in the... more travel advice
Laguna Sargazo is one of the biggest lake in this park. At it's southwestern shore you can pitch your tent on a... more travel advice
- See All Please check on the refugio situation !!
- All rainproof gear please :-)
- See All Trekking poles should also be a must :-)
Trekki's Related Pages
Laguna Sargazo Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Laguna Sargazo
- Hotels in Laguna Sargazo
- Restaurants in Laguna Sargazo
- Warnings and Dangers in Laguna Sargazo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laguna Sargazo
- 19 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Laguna Sargazo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laguna Sargazo
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Two nights along the Rhine"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Laguna Sargazo travel pages
- updated a Laguna Sargazo Travel Page "PN Alerce Andino - magical rainforest"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking in a pristine rainforest (2)"
- Wrote a Review Get up early to see the fog rising in Laguna Sargazo Things to Do
Photos in Laguna SargazoSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues