"El Chaltén - Home of Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre" Fitz Roy by Trekki

Fitz Roy Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 156 photos

Fitz Roy - the best place to spend New Year

Ok, it seems, El Chaltén is not possible to choose as location, so it's Fitz Roy and the area around it.

For me, Fitz Roy will always be the New Year Mountain, as by now, I have spend 3 of my New Year's Eves there.
There is no better place where you can celebrate this with enough tea and millions od stars :-)

Sometimes, the wind becomes quite strong - such as here, at Laguna Capri during a nice "little" storm.

and after that - a tremendous sunset.....

The continuously changing weather is what makes Patagonia also. And if you ever have seen the light just before sunset - how it illuminates everything, how colors burn - you'll never want to leave the place.

• Pros:wonderful thrilling nature
  • Cons:a bit overcrowded by now, mainly in December/January
  • In a nutshell:magic
  • Last visit to Fitz Roy: Dec 1999
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Ingrid, Fabulous photo's of the mountains, especially the sunrise one! They remind me of the Dolomites, would love to see them.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Sep 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Thanks Dee :-)) Oh well, this was long time ago but I still cherish the memories :-)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Ingrid, one of the places I want to go back and see properly. I had arranged to go hiking on the Chilean side and there just wasn't enough time. Amazing sunrise, just beautiful, thank you

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Aug 29, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thank you Val :-)) But go as soon as you can, El Chalten is developping very quick into a "mass destination". I have seen it growing from 1996 to 2000 and it scared me already in 2000....

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Ingrid...sadly paved roads usually mean the "end" of an era..and possibly that has happened here..Ill let you know..I'm assembling information for a possible journey here in 2011.Great pages,informative hiking tips and GREAT photos..Thanks!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I was in El Chalten in January. I think it's an amazing place where you can get close to nature and enjoy the stunning scenery! Look forward to returning in the future! Happy travels, Dawn

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Hello, Ingrid! ><><>< It's a wonderful faraway place to enjoy! Thanx for sharing! Alles Gute weiterhin! ~

• Robmj's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2009 at 2:35 AM

enjoyed your El Chaten page and similar, it is a great spot, we treked the Fitz Roy area and TDp at the end of 2007.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Since reading Bruce Chatwins's 'In Patagonia' years ago- this country has always attracted me. The pics of sunsets and sunrise at El Chalten are really good.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Ingrid, these pages are unique. The rugged terrain, the remoteness, and power of nature make for interesting descriptions: Your photo of the one-year-old flag to describe the wind is fantastic. Cerro Torre is, indeed, beautiful. Yum for the Chocolateria.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 4:55 AM

I can't believe I've only just now discovered this lovely page! Both your text and photos are wonderful - full of beautiful light and atmosphere :)

• Oct 25, 2007 at 8:54 PM

ingrid, the photos on this page are just fantastic! your trekking journeys always inspire me. i hope to do this some day too! :)

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Fitz Roy

Have you been to Fitz Roy?