"Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria by Trekki
Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,144 reviews and 35,695 photos
Walchensee reflections on an autum day :-)
Bavaria – that is Oktoberfest and Neuschwanstein Castle for most of our foreign visitors. I find this exceptionally sad because it reduces this most marvellous part of Germany to beer and The castle. And this completely underrates Bavaria and does not do justice to this splendid region. Not that Neuschwanstein Castle isn't the most beautiful of all castles in the world :-)
This is why I intend to give you suggestions for sightseeing "the other, the real" Bavaria and hence I draw attention to the many charming places, the lesser known churches and the marvellous authentic and organic food from farms which stands so much for Bavaria in my opinion. Nevertheless, the “Bavaria” I am describing here is mainly Upper Bavaria, the region in the south of the country, closest to the alps. It is here where I spend most of my time in Bavaria simply because I love the mountains and the colours there – blue skies, some white puffy clouds, blue lakes, turquoise lakes, green pastures, green forests - my peace colours.
On my page you don’t find Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber and definitely no Oktoberfest. But you will find charming churches, marvellous landscapes, breathtaking views, enchanting villages and more - food for your soul :-)
And ... Neuschwanstein Castle and hopefully soon more of King Ludwig II's castles.
Get inspired - and visit the region, feel the region, smell the region - and not just "tick off" some sights just to impress your friends at home.
Thank you :-)
Since VT's travel guides don’t have separations into the country regions, here are the destinations within Bavaria where I wrote separate pages about:
In Upper Bavaria:
Dießen am Ammersee
Glentleiten Open Air Museum
In Bavarian Swabia:
In Lower Franconia:
And the capital, Munich - München - or "Minga", as the locals call it:
More to come, because I am updating this page on a very regular base (as of August 2013 ff).
Enjoy and get inspired :-)
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Magnificent mountains, landscapes, castles, beer gardens, lakes, tradition and culture - a region to get lost in dreams
- Cons:Nothing :-)
- In a nutshell:Paradise on earth :-)
For those who want to stay in Bavaria for a couple of days and are keen to visit several of the castles, palaces and... more travel advice
! This is not really a warning tip – just a “be aware of” one. European Central Bank is in the process of issuing new... more travel advice
- Munich Airport - excellent and...
- Lederhosenparties, Hofbräuhaus and .....
- Cycling around Lake Starnberg - so...
- See All Fresh fish, Lake Starnberg
Written Oct 1, 2011
Written Jun 16, 2013
My ever growing wishlist for Bavaria :-)
Trekki's Related Pages
Bavaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bavaria - my home for 10 years"
- "2004: A Bavarian Beer Odyssey"
- "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- "Bavaria - under construction"
- "Bavarian tours"
- "Websites Bavaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bavaria
- Hotels in Bavaria
- Transportation in Bavaria
- Nightlife in Bavaria
- Restaurants in Bavaria
- Shopping in Bavaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Bavaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bavaria
- 259 Reviews
- 1,209 Photos
- 164 Forum posts
- 20 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (80)
Have you been to Bavaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bavaria
- Posted in Travel Darmstadt Forum "Re: Wo want to come to Frankfurt?"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Bavaria tips
- Wrote a Review Bavaria Castles, Palaces: save money with the pass in Bavaria Favorites
- updated a Bavaria Travel Page "Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fascinating open air museum Glentleiten"
Videos in BavariaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 50 reviews, 199 photos, 2 travelogues