"Magic Bavaria: when God created paradise :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria by Trekki

Bavaria Travel Guide: 12,144 reviews and 35,695 photos

Walchensee reflections on an autum day :-)

Bavaria – that is Oktoberfest and Neuschwanstein Castle for most of our foreign visitors. I find this exceptionally sad because it reduces this most marvellous part of Germany to beer and The castle. And this completely underrates Bavaria and does not do justice to this splendid region. Not that Neuschwanstein Castle isn't the most beautiful of all castles in the world :-)

This is why I intend to give you suggestions for sightseeing "the other, the real" Bavaria and hence I draw attention to the many charming places, the lesser known churches and the marvellous authentic and organic food from farms which stands so much for Bavaria in my opinion. Nevertheless, the “Bavaria” I am describing here is mainly Upper Bavaria, the region in the south of the country, closest to the alps. It is here where I spend most of my time in Bavaria simply because I love the mountains and the colours there – blue skies, some white puffy clouds, blue lakes, turquoise lakes, green pastures, green forests - my peace colours.

On my page you don’t find Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber and definitely no Oktoberfest. But you will find charming churches, marvellous landscapes, breathtaking views, enchanting villages and more - food for your soul :-)
And ... Neuschwanstein Castle and hopefully soon more of King Ludwig II's castles.

Get inspired - and visit the region, feel the region, smell the region - and not just "tick off" some sights just to impress your friends at home.

Since VT's travel guides don’t have separations into the country regions, here are the destinations within Bavaria where I wrote separate pages about:
In Upper Bavaria:

Bürgstadt
Miltenberg

And the capital, Munich - München - or "Minga", as the locals call it:
Munich.

More to come, because I am updating this page on a very regular base (as of August 2013 ff).

Enjoy and get inspired :-)

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Magnificent mountains, landscapes, castles, beer gardens, lakes, tradition and culture - a region to get lost in dreams
  • Cons:Nothing :-)
  • In a nutshell:Paradise on earth :-)
  • Last visit to Bavaria: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 8, 2013

• ashokSPB's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Zubin Mehta, Indian born, of Bavaria state Symphony conducted an musical evening here in India on 7th.. Is it the same Bavaria "when God created paradise" as you refer?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Lots of fine updates here since last July!

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thank you dear Don for having followed "my" Bavaria :-))

• Ann75's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Great page, Ingrid! So many helpful tips and such great information accompanied with fantastic photos! What a beautiful area with so many great churches and amazing scenery! My father in-law grew up in Bavaria and I can see why he still speaks so fondly of it.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Thank you dear Ann for having taken the time to read my Bavaria :-)) And for your sweet comments :-) The scenery is absolutely spectacular and ... I am curious if your father-in-law settled in BC because the the scenery might remind him of the place where I grew up. Where was this exactly? Oh and will he join you three next year?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Lots of helpful reviews on this page! I love all the beautiful rococo and baroque churches you found. Your photo's are lovely of the inside of these Churches.

Aug 10, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Thanks dear Dee for having walked through "my" Bavaria :-)) More to come, I just cannot stop to visit and write about the villages and the region.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Ingrid, you have updated nearly everything since I last looked at this page a year ago, and added lots of interesting new tips. And such fantastic photos!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I saw on FB that you finished this page. How beautiful it is there, thanks for sharing :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Hello, Ingrid! You are a travel connoisseur indeed...Thanks for your detailed page full of great advice and experience!)

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thank you Victor :-)) You should visit there too one day!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 6:09 AM

What a beautiful region Bavaria is! I have enjoyed the virtual tour through your tips and feel I want to visit one day. So far I have only been in Hamburg and Frankfurt in Germany (and I have never stayed over the night).

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Thank you for your tour through southern Bavaria :-)) I think you would love it. It does not have an exotic feel but rural Bavaria is very charming!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I've found on FB, that you've completed your page about Bavaria, and decided it was time to read it now though was going to do it sometime before. Bavaria is one of the lands that I and Irina love best of all. We love Munchen (though we have never been there in Octoberfest), we love Schloss Neuschwanstein (though we love its area in Hohenschwangau more), we love driving along small roads and admire Bavarian landscapes.
    Your page is just about these small Bavarian towns that we wanted to visit everytime passing them by car but hadn't got enough time to make a stop...
    That's why I've read your page with the great interest and want to say thank you Ingrid for great VT job.
    Your pages are perfect as always.

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Thank you so much dear Sergey for having read my Bavaria :-)) In a way I also wrote this for you and Irina because I know that you like to visit it during your trips to Ulm. If I could inspire you to see some of the wonderful places - the better. The farmhouse next to Wies church would be perfect for you!! They also have a German Shepherd dog, check their site: http://www.scholderhof.de/

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Thank you dear Ingrid! Probably we will follow your advice someday...

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2013 at 3:43 AM

A lovely sunny tour of Bavaria for a dull January morning :-) But with all these delicious cakes and organic chocolate I am now hungry for something good and sweet to eat ;-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2013 at 3:00 AM

So am I right that your only addition to this page (apart from a very good intro) is about Austria? lol!

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Haha, yes, but accessible only via Bavaria :-) And it makes a nice detour for visitors of famous Mittenwald. Thank you Sarah :-)

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Bavaria

• 1,209 Photos

Have you been to Bavaria?

Videos in Bavaria