Samarkand Warnings Or Dangers Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Samarkand Warnings and Dangers: 9 reviews and 6 photos
Samarkand, water draining channel
A lot of Central Asia’s cities (well, also others around the world) do have channels to transport water, either as water channels or for draining.
Samarkand has several ones, which seem(ed) to serve for draining, but given the dry climate, they might not be filled with water very often. Plants grow in them, sometimes they are used as garbage places (but more by the tourists than by the locals – I found Uzbekistan cities very much clean, cleaner than a lot of cities in Germany).
These water channels are not marked as such. So while you are wandering through town and maybe daydreaming, you might easily stumble into one.
Well, also after a bit too much beer, they are still there…..
As I consider this both, tourist trap and warning, I’ll double it. Please be fair to the system and if, only rate it once (either here or there – thanks).
In our www world, I still love to send postcards from special travels to people dear to me, thus also from Uzbekistan.
First, it was a bit tricky to find the post office (I was given several different locations), then I found it in Tashkent street (the pedestrian one between Registan and bazaar). With the help of a map, the girl even managed to understand my destinations, written in English, and I even saw how she put stamps on the cards………. but none ever arrived (correct me dear friends if one actually found its way to Sweden, Scotland, Germany, NZ or Australia).
If you still want to send postcards – don’t even think to do it from Samarkand !!!! However, I cannot give a recommendation about which city actually sends cards; Tashkent maybe.
If you still want to send postcards to overseas’ friends, better buy cards and send them from home. If you want to send cards to nearby friends and family, better get them a nice souvenir.
More Reviews (32)
- See All Opening hours, and “how much does it...
- Folklore evenings at Registan – and more
- Bazaar and medressas – anything you want
- Pack light
- Transport to/from and wintin Samarkand
Trekki's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Launceston Hotels
- Hinson Hotels
- Kampong Bangoi Sato Hotels
- Aculco de Espinoza Hotels
- Namibia Warnings and Dangers
- Fes Warnings and Dangers
- Anchorage Warnings and Dangers
- Jericoacoara Warnings and Dangers
- Astoria Warnings and Dangers
- Hot & Humid Weather
- Eritrea Warnings and Dangers
- Jekyll Island Warnings and Dangers
- West Palm Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Sarajevo Warnings and Dangers
- Fairbanks Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 34 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
- Posted in Travel Italy Forum "Re: Where to go besides the..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Samarkand travel pages
- updated a Samarkand Travel Page "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Wrote a Review Opening hours, and “how much does it cost” in Samarkand Favorites
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (134)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 398 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 77 reviews, 293 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 55 reviews, 271 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 240 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 40 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (136)
Latest Samarkand hotel reviews
- Hotel Afrosiyob Palace
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012