Samarkand Off The Beaten Path Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Samarkand Off The Beaten Path: 23 reviews and 46 photos
If in Shah-i-Zinda’s upper parts (north of Qusam Mausoleum) it is surely interesting to walk a bit further and visit Samarkand’s cemetery. It is huge and stretches almost along the whole rest of the hill slopes between Hazreti Hizir Mosque and Shah-i-Zinda. The graves are very much similar to the ones in the western world, well, to the ones I know from Germany.
It is also a quiet place, shady as well in some parts, if you want to rest a bit on benches during your visit of the otherwise very much unshady Shah-i-Zinda.
Hazreti Hizir Mosque - for the travellers
On the way from the bazaar to Shah-i-Zinda we’ll see a mosque on the road to Afrasiab/Ulug’bek Observatory, which should be worth a visit, however from the outside only (for non-Muslims). It is old, at least the fundaments, and had been restored early 20th century. The entrance hall is supported by wooden pillars and the ceiling is beautifully carved and painted. It looks a bit like Buhkara’s Bolo Hauz Mosque.
Oh, and the mosque is devoted to Hazreti Hizir, a pilgrim of pre-Islamic days, patrons for travellers.
St. Alexej Orthodox church in Samarkand
Although Uzbekistan is an Islamic country (well, almost), it guarantees religious freedom and so it is no wonder that the big Russian commune (?) has her Orthodox church at the southeastern part of the university park (ok, just outside of it).
The Orthodox cathedral is devoted to St. Alexej (Alekseevskii), as a little sign says, and is definitely worth a visit. Make sure, you donate a small amount, although it is not asked for.
More Reviews (31)
- See All Opening hours, and “how much does it...
- Folklore evenings at Registan – and more
- Bazaar and medressas – anything you want
- Pack light
- Transport to/from and wintin Samarkand
Trekki's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Iona Island Hotels
- Willits Hotels
- Moose Jaw
- Rosewood Hotels
- Detroit Lakes Hotels
- Sikinos Island
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 34 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Laser projection keyboards :-)..."
- updated a Samarkand Travel Page "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Samarkand travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Wrote a Review Opening hours, and “how much does it cost” in Samarkand Favorites
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (134)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (168)
- Registan- 51 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Shah-i-Zinda- 26 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Gur Emir Mausoleum- 22 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Ulugh Beg Observatory- 9 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Bibi-Khanym Mosque- 17 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Afrosiab- 9 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Ulugh Beg Madrasa- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Bazaar- 5 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Sher-Dor Madrasah- 6 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Hazreti Hizir Mosque- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Samarkand Things to Do