Samarkand Restaurant Tips by Trekki Top 5 Page for this destination
Samarkand Restaurants: 17 reviews and 26 photos
As you might have read, I came from Bukhara, where I had caught nice “Montezuma”, which kept me busy (running to special places) all the time. So I didn’t quite much pay attention to good food (but more to food which would stay with me for a while). Most of the time I had cookies, watermelon and bread, “at home”, at Bahodir’s.
Some exceptions though:
As almost everywhere in Uzbekistan, the bazaar is an excellent spot to grab good and reasonable food, either snacks in one of the countless stands or in the chaikhanas. One chaikhana in the bazaar had very tasty food, plov and salad and laghman soup. Leave Tashkent street (the pedestrian street between Registan and Shah-i-Zinda) approx. 100 m after Bibi Khanum Mosque and turn left through a gate into the bazaar. It is the red brick building with veranda upstairs. For plov, salad, tea and soup I paid 2300 som.
Food stands in Penjikent street (east of Registan):
Good and very tasty snacks, such as quick shashlyk, fried food, fruits and bread you can get here, in one of the shops or outside food stands. Very much reasonable.
Favorite Dish: Macro Polo Restaurant (crossing of Dagbitskaya and Registan)
On my last evening in Samarkand I tried Marco Polo Restaurant and it was a good choice! The restaurant is located at the corner of Dagbitskaya and Registan street, hidden behind bamboo “fences”. Inside, you have the choice between seatings in the green courtyard or inside. Food is excellent, a big variety in all kinds of salads, which was a good diversification to the tomato-cucumber-onion salad, I got in most of the other restaurants or food stalls. Oh, and they had real espresso ! When I was there, a group of women had a celebration dinner (looked like birthday), and it ended very funny, the women dancing and inviting all of us foreigners who dined here to join them. Very much fun, and very lovely girls :-) Dinner is not cheap of course, for salad and a meat meal, tea and espresso I paid 7300 som.
One warning (from my experience): Tea room Chorsu, located at the crossing of Mullokandov (where Bahodir B&B is) and Tashkent street, was rip off for me. It is recommended in Lonely Planet (Central Asia), but the food I got there was awful, lukewarm soup, salad which did see better days and tasteless lukewarm tea. No need to say that I only had the tea and a spoonful of the soup – I feared to feed my “Montezuma”…
More Reviews (33)
- See All Opening hours, and “how much does it...
- Folklore evenings at Registan – and more
- Bazaar and medressas – anything you want
- Pack light
- Transport to/from and wintin Samarkand
Trekki's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Explore the World
- Estado de Querétaro de Arteaga
- Kampong Pekan Kechil Beranang Hotels
- Bossier City Hotels
- Figueres Hotels
- Jak Hotels
- Union Territory of Daman and Diu
- Departamento de Cusco
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 34 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Tip Placement"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Samarkand travel pages
- updated a Samarkand Travel Page "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Wrote a Review Opening hours, and “how much does it cost” in Samarkand Favorites
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (134)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 399 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 77 reviews, 294 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 55 reviews, 271 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 243 photos, 21 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 9 travelogues
- London Intro, 40 reviews, 202 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (139)
Latest Samarkand hotel reviews
- Hotel Afrosiyob Palace
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2012