"Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty" Top 5 Page for this destination Samarkand by Trekki
Samarkand Travel Guide: 319 reviews and 1,394 photos
Samarkand was the fourth Uzbek city I visited, after Tashkent , Khiva and Bukhara , on my way to Tajikistan and Pamirs .
Please make sure that you also read what Leyle of the WanderingCamels wrote about Samarkand .
She was the one who “brought” me to Uzbekistan and Samarkand with what she wrote here on VT.
Once, Alexander the Great wrote about Samarkand, or Marakanda, that it was more beautiful than he ever imaginated. Given the time, it must have been a glory of the days before Christ already. Since that time, it had quite a maiifold regimen by Chinese Han-Dynasty, Sassanids, Turks and Arabs. It was capital of Transoxania and then reigned by Samanids, Seljuqs and the Khans of Choresm (see Khiva ). Mongols under Genghis Khan destroyed the city around 1200, making it uninhabitable for quite a period.
And then famous Timur came and made Samarkand capital of his empire. It was a famous cultural, scientific and trade centre; marvellous buildings have been erected with the idea to show power and make Samarkand the most beautiful city of Timur’s days.
Timurid period ended around 1500 and under the Shaybanids, who did choose Bukhara as their capital, went into meaninglessness.
1868, Russians took over; it became the centre of Russian Turkestan, later capital of Uzbek SSR, but Tashkent was selected final capital, which it still is in the state of Uzbekistan since 1991.
Since a long time, Samarkand had been an important centre for international trading. Goods were transported from China to the western world and other goods from the western world to Asia.
Already in 751, Samarkand had its own paper manufacturing, adopted by the Chinese. This might have been the reason why it did develop to such an important cultural and scientific centre with early bookwritings.
Today it is a very lively town with 450.000 inhabitans, interesting mixture between ancient sights, which look more randomly scattered around town and modern Uzbek life.
It definitely pays to spend more than just one day here, to immerse in the fame of ancient Silk Road, to take in the special position of Samarkand as centre of Timurid period with its special architecture.
Now lets begin and start our virtual tour to Samarkand – enjoy.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Marvellous architecture - lovely people - busy lively town
- Cons:bloody hot in summer
- In a nutshell:Marvellous - but it might reveal its splendor not directly
Now how many days should you plan for Samarkand ? As I am living in Germany with that unbelievable amount of 30 plus... more travel advice
The best place for shopping is without doubt Samarkand’s bazaar. You can get almost everything here, fresh fruit,... more travel advice
- Pack light
- See All ”Chorsu” – best to be avoided
- See All Don’t stumble – you might end in...
- See All Cemetery
Trekki's Related Pages
Samarkand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mirror of the World,"
- "Take the Golden Road to Samarqand"
- "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- "Splendour of the Silk Road"
- "Magical City"
- "Samarkand, a tale city"
- "Crossroads of Cultures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Samarkand
- Hotels in Samarkand
- Transportation in Samarkand
- Nightlife in Samarkand
- Restaurants in Samarkand
- Shopping in Samarkand
- Warnings and Dangers in Samarkand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samarkand
- 34 Reviews
- 134 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Samarkand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarkand
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Now you can't say that..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Samarkand travel pages
- updated a Samarkand Travel Page "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Samarkand - Central Asia's Eternal Beauty"
- Wrote a Review Opening hours, and “how much does it cost” in Samarkand Favorites
Photos in SamarkandSee All Photos (134)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues