"Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm" Top 5 Page for this destination Tashkent by Trekki
Tashkent Travel Guide: 265 reviews and 578 photos
Tashkent is the city, you’ll most probably arrive and depart from if you plan to visit Uzbekistan.
I was here in summer 2006, in the beginning and end of my trip through Uzbekistan and Tajikistan.
In the meantime, and generally, please read what Leyle of the WanderingCamels wrote about Tashkent .
She was the one who “brought” me to Uzbekistan and Tashkent with what she wrote here on VT.
As so many other cities of Central Asia, Tashkent didn’t have “a life of it’s own”, but was conquered and reigned by many of the ancient cultures of east or west.
It was first mentioned already quite early, in Chinese manuscripts, as it has an almost perfect location with Tien Shan mountains in the east and the vital line of Syr Darja in the west. Around in 7th century, it was reigned by the Turk Khanates, later on conquered and destroyed by the Arabs and gained a tiny bit of importance in Timurid period, although Timur had chosen Samarkand his capital city. Shaybanids did have another positive influence in 16th century, and later, it was captured by the Amir of Bukhara, but handed over to the Russians end of 19th century, where it did play an important role in what is known today as “The Great Game” – the cold war between Russia and England over property and exploiting of ressources. In Soviet days, it finally “won” over Samarkand and became capital of Uzbek SSR.
Since 1991 and independence of the Central Asia countries, it remained capital of the new state of Uzbekistan.
It did never reach the importance of Samarkand, Khiva and Bukhara as knots of silk roads, but must have had beautiful buildings in its old days. A lot of them had been destroyed in Soviet times, replaced by ugly monumental architecture.
But the worst fate of Tashkent was the big earthquake of 1966, which left more than 300.000 people homeless and destroyed nearly 40.000 buildings. Rebuilding started slowly, but it was mainly the not very much appealing monumental Soviet cubes that replaced the old buildings.
Now, as Mr. Kharomov has decided to be Mr. Timur’s heir, the building style is more “Uzbek” or modern tradition.
Today, Tashkent is a lively city with around 2,1 million of inhabitants, a homogeneous mixture of all ethnic groups, Central Asian, Uzbek, Tajik, Russian, Korean and others. This reflects in the food, you’ll find in bazaars and restaurants and in the cultural development. Many parks invite for relaxing weekends, a huge cultural program is offered in the many theatres and operas, shopping possibilities are endless and a lot of museums invite to teach (or brainwash in the case of Amur Timur Museum…) about Uzbekistans past, present and artwork.
So – go and let’s discover Tashkent and its hidden charm.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Update: March 2011::
No new tips, just one hotel connected to the one in VT database
- Pros:Mixture of all ethnic groups - lots of variety in food and entertainment - lovely and open people
- Cons:Not that much of ancient architecture, if it is that what you are looking for
- In a nutshell:Charming :-)
I already mentioned that the Palace of Peoples’ Friendship is a very popular place for Uzbek couples to have their... more travel advice
Tashkent’s climate is perfect to grow all kind of fruits and plants. What I liked very much is the vast use of grapevine... more travel advice
- Pack light
- See All Tashkent International & National...
- See All Don’t believe anything without proof
- See All The Metro – artwork at all stations !
Trekki's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 37 Reviews
- 121 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (77)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
- Posted in Travel Bad Homburg vor der Höhe Forum "Re: Books on Bad Homburg"
- updated a Tashkent Travel Page "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- Commented on one of TheWanderingCamel's Tashkent travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- Wrote a Review Pack light in Tashkent What to Pack
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (121)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 401 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 90 reviews, 407 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 330 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 78 reviews, 295 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 57 reviews, 280 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 62 reviews, 229 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 82 reviews, 191 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bavaria Intro, 49 reviews, 198 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Tashkent hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Tashkent Palace
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Orzu Tashkent Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 11, 2013
- Dedeman Silk Road Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- InterContinental Tashkent
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Domina Shodlik Palace
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Markaziy Hotel Tashkent
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- Hotel Uzbekistan Tashkent
- 124 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Elite Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2011