"Worms, Nibelungs, Roman Empire and transientness.." Top 5 Page for this destination Worms by Trekki

Worms Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 266 photos

... of time - but the glory is back :-))

Update, March 2007:
Well, I must face it - weather often does lead to completely wrong assumptions. I was in Worms now several times after my visit in September 2006, and... I really really like it.
It is full of life and history, has great restaurants, lot of beautiful buildings (even if it does not seem so on the first view), it has a beach bar, the Rhine promenade to relax at, my all time favourite restaurant Pfister Zunft and... hahahaha, I seriously consider to move there. It would only be 40 minutes from work, and I would be in my beloved Palatine - so why not.
Plus, appartments are very much reasonable, not as in the town I live in at the moment (which is overpriced and ugly).
I would not have to stick to idiotic traffic regulations of Darmstadt, to the thieves in the Darmstadt municipality, which are lingering around to find a moment to fine you, I would not have to pay ridiculous prices for almost anything, I would NOT have to get deaf one day with all the airplanes of Frankfurt airport departing and landing over my head, I would not live in a dirty environment, the vicinity of Frankfurt airport brings to Darmstadt, but:
I would live in the clean environment of Worms, have Rhine river close to me, would pay normal prices and get not deaf. I would not end up in jail for maybe one day killing someone in municipality or traffic office, as Worms has people there with a brain and no pickpocketers.

Haha, and just in case, some of "well meaning" and curious colleagues (or those draw conclusions without asking first, just as a kind of a ridiculous wishful thinking): I am NOT thinking of quitting my job, haha. I just don't like Hessen if I can have Palatine to live at - work, that's another story. Work will stick with me, even if some don't like that ;-)

From prosperity .......

Worms am Rhein – Worms and Rhine River do have a long history for Germany and Europe. Both names are also synonyms for legends and myths. Who does not know famous Siegfried (or Sigurd as he is called in Northern Europe) who killed the dragon, and who did not dream at least a bit to find the famous Nibelungen treasure, which is hidden in the Rhine ?

Celts already settled here in Bormitomagus in the years B.C., but it developed only after the arrival of the Romans and the bishops’ permanent residence. Bishop Burchard (1000 – 1025) can be considered as the real founder of Worms and its prosperity. He restored the Cathedral and built the monasteries St. Paulus, St. Andreas and St. Martin. Recently, the diocese has honoured his efforts by installing a statue in front of the Cathedral’s southern gate – now he friendly greets all believers who come to pray in “his” church.

During the following times, Worms was the centre of decisions and disputes in many religios conflicts. Who has read what I wrote about Speyer might remember that Concordat of Worms was settled here in 1122, which finally passed the law that the church only has the right to nominate bishops.

Later, during the split-up of the persuasions, Luther defended his theses here at the Reichstag of 1521, which was answered with Worms Edict and his banishment (excommunication). 5 years later, this time in Speyer, it was released and freedom of religion was granted for all and everyone (maybe we could need another protestation in our world today ?).

.... to much destruction during wars

As for so many other towns in Palatine, Worms' glamour and prosperity came to a sudden end in 1689, when troops of Louis XIV (Sun King) burnt it to ashes in the War of the Great Alliance.

Hesitantly, life came back into town end of 17th century, but French Revolution put another end to this, the citizens were set back to a life as vasalls.

In 1816, Worms was integrated into grand dukedom Hessen-Darmstadt and prosperity started again. The city became an important centre for leather industry.

And then, WWII finally has left Worms in big destruction and standstill. Some of the wounds are still not healed, and it explains why by now, only a very small amount of old historical sites can be still seen and visited in town and close surroundings.

When I was here in Sept. 2006 (after having visited the city countless times as a kid), the all grey weather didn’t help a bit to disclose its attractiveness.
The city still has its secret charm, however, not as easily visible as in Speyer, the other famous town of Holy Roman Empire.

So let’s try and discover Worms – old history, old myths and legends.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Worms: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Great page Ingrid. Someone asked a forum question about Worms and I was interested in the name and then found the explanation here :-) Also added to my miniscule German vocabulary - Pfister is another of those wonderfully descriptive German words - when breadmaking by hand the best way to knead the dough is, of course, using one's fists - I don't know whether that's the same word/meaning in German tho'??

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Mar 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Hi John :-)) Haha, I just found the question and answered it :-) Even better because the girl is Italian :-) And I have quit my work after Easter :-) Funny your thoughts about the name Pfister. Yes, that could well be!! Let me add it as an explanation when I can be sure that my computer is back to normal again. Something strange happens right now, mose freezes and strange noises....

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Hi Ingrid, this was a fascinating and interesting read, and I would have written many more comments if I wasn't so tired! Brilliant photos, too! When I was still in uni, I had to translate a short part of the Nibelungenlied :-) And yes, I would have connected the name with a dragon (Wurm/Lindwurm), but I would rather have thought that somehow Sigfried's dragon was involved, and not another legend altogether! It was also interesting to learn the meaning of "Pfister"!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Nov 23, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Thank you dear Mirjam for having walked through Worms, despite your .. äh... Müdigkeit :-) Oh, Pfister. It is no longer there, out of business, but I leave it there because the story why it is no more is so sad.

• paulhanson's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Eine echte Pfälzerin!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM

You have painted a lovely picture of Worms. By your tips, it sounds so interesting and historical, I love all those sculptures you found, and sitting by the Rhine enjoying a Coffee sounds great!

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Beautiful pages for a place with such a strange name ( at least in English)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM

Another fascinating jaunt through another fabulous German destination. Is it any wonder I love your country so very much, Ingrid? Can't wait to get back next year. Kate

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Worms, particularly the "Diet of Worms", pronounced by my teacher of European History as in English, rather put me off but you are a better teacher Ingrid! I agree about heavy Gothic churches but am interested in stained glass. Another place for my list!

• wabIV's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Great introduction, wonderful descriptions and beautiful photos surely make Worms very inviting. Your crusade is working. :-) Terrific restaurant tip.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Wonderful page; so many interesting stories and legends, such vivid and detailed descriptions make reading the tips exciting and enjoyable. I'd love to visit Worms one day.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM

What a delightful page on Worms Ingrid. Your attention to detail always amazes me. Love the dachshund story. Love the Nibelungenbrucke. Love how you wrote "Eat myself through the menu" on your restaurant tip. Awesome stuff!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Worms