"Hub to the Pamirs" Top 5 Page for this destination Dushanbe by Trekki

Dushanbe Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 108 photos

Update, August 9, 2007:
I have added a website with more restaurants in Dushanbe, which have English menus.

Please make sure you read my travellogue My Dushanbe adventure as well.
Only then you will be able to see this all in the context.
Thanks :-)

Dushanbe was just a short stopover for me, between Uzbek cities and the Pamir mountains. I am surely (negatively) biased from my experiences with ….. the place I stayed and all that had to do with it, so I didn’t do much in the city itself.

And please do not misinterpret my experience here ! It had NOTHING to do with Tajiks or local people - just with one very arrogant very impudent rip-off etablissement, which is not Tajik !!!!

So I won’t write much about things-to-do, more of my “stay” there and the possibilities to get away = fly to Khorog, capital village of the Pamirs.

There is however a lot to see in Dushanbe.
But you best check what Olav (VT-er Saagar) and Steven (VT-er srichmond) wrote about the city.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:hm... hub to the Pamirs
  • Cons:hm...
  • In a nutshell:hub to the Pamirs :-)
  • Last visit to Dushanbe: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 4:19 AM

It's quite a shame how people can be allowed to operate a business that can ruin first impressions of a country. Luckily, many like yourself can look past one bad apple tree and find nice fruit elsewhere.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2008 at 3:23 AM

Danone yoghurt in the country of natural yoghurt -- that pretty much sums it up. (Like being served frozen fish sticks in a traditional fishing village.)

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM

I have driven the "Road to Dushanbe" (as made famous by the movie "Spies Like Us"), but never actually made it there. Thanks for the wonderful narrative, even if "Mr. Rick" was not the high point of your visit... :-) Cheers, "MArk" ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM

Great updates again = even if your accommodation was a let down!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 10:28 PM

You made a great page out of a very unpleasant experience ! You know how to turn sh*t into gold, haha!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 1:32 PM

So I'm continuing the trip with you and must say that GGC sounds horrible. I imagine how annoying it was for you. As for a meal in the restaurant I have to admit how ignorant I am - I don't know the dishes you've mentioned. Bth - glad you liked de Mello

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 9:51 AM

It sounds like an awful place - I don't paying over the odds, but I hate being ripped off. We went to Dushanbe in the 1980s and stayed in a very boring grey 'block'.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 2:48 AM

A very clear warning of rip-off merchants at work! At least the meal and scenic flight were compensations.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Your entire page is a well thought out WARNING--sorry you had such a miserable experience here! Hopefully, by your tips others can avoid the same thing.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Yes, Ingrid, traveling around former countries of the USSR is a real adventure! In Moscow you'll be surprised in a taxi by $100 price to airport (you'll remember only $25 in Dushanbe as a childish joke). Interesting page with very personnel impressions!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Dushanbe

Have you been to Dushanbe?