"Khorog - maybe this is Shangri La ?" Khorugh by Trekki

Khorugh Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 60 photos

Update: April 21, 2007:
nothing new, I just worked a bit on all photos, as a lot of them had a greyish touch and got some cleaning with PhotoImpact (thanks to a very sweet person for reminding me to do this :-)

Oh, and work in progress - please wait until I am finished = this message vanishes. Thanks :-)

Khorog was my first station in the Pamirs, and I really really liked it here ! It was most probably because of the people, which were all the most lovely and friendly people I have ever met. Smiling faces greet you everywhere, they have a helping hand when needed (even if there is most probably the language barrier), there are fruit trees almost everywhere, and the setting between these high mountains is breathtaking.

However, these mountains are not “that high”, compared with what I was on (or in) later on my travel along the Pamir highway. Khorog itself is located on 2200 m, and the peaks are around 3800 m. Ah, just looking at the photos again makes me a bit “homesick”, I really really miss the people – but I have 5 travellogues to tell about my stay there in detail :-)

• Pros:The most lovely people - great climate - marvellous
  • Cons:no single con - nothing !
  • In a nutshell:I miss it !
  • Last visit to Khorugh: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2007

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Quite an amazing trip you had through this area.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Khorog looks to be a fabulous place to enjoy the scenery and solitude. I see why you want to go back

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Hi Ingrid, great insight into Khorugh, a really off-the-beaten path destination. Merry christmas to you!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Great informative page , Ingrid. well written, with lovely photos. Its great that you met so many kind people here. The Botanical Garden sounds amazing.You have had so many wonderful adventures!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 11:14 PM

That would be nice to visit the Gem of the Pamirs! Thanks for your stories, Ingrid!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2008 at 10:14 PM

Goodmorning Ingrid ! Very interesting and inspiring page of Khorugh. Discovering these kind of places is the real thing of travelling. Thanks for sharing your great experiences.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 9:31 AM

It's always so enlightening to read your tips. I read with interest your experience with health services and was touched. The place you stayed, especially the people, were so lovely. Being a gardener, I really enjoyed the botanical gardens.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM

Ingrid, another fantastic page withg very helpful info about Tajikistan. Keep up the good work. :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I've read the updatings since June,22. You have shown us thorough and vivid piqtures of Khorugh. Merry Christmas Ingrid coming soon! I wish you all the best next year and hope you will get it successfully... Regards from Moscow!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 7:56 AM

Amazing! How do you FIND these places? Bad Montezuma - but interesting medical care.

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Khorugh

Have you been to Khorugh?

Latest Activity in Khorugh