"Wissembourg - lovely gem of L'Alsace" Top 5 Page for this destination Wissembourg by Trekki

Wissembourg Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 361 photos

.... well, one of the countless Alsace gems :-)

Wissembourg is a small village, situated in the very north of L'Alsace, where the French-German border runs east-west.

It is very tiny, but has a beautiful old center with lots of half-timbered houses and the typical flower decoration of L'Alsace. And of course I should not to forget to mention the heavenly Alsacienne cuisine available everywhere.

In my pre-VT days, I was here very often, mainly for shopping - something of high importance for some Germans which feel in food diaspora in their hometowns - the supermarchées have such a lovely and mouthwatering seleciton of fine French food.
But.... no pictures from these days, and - what a shame - I also missed to visit the old town.

Just recently I took Brazilian colleagues on a trip through southeastern Palatine and northern L'Alsace, and we ended up here for dinner :-) We arrived quite late and were starving, so we did not do a lot of sightseeing stops, just raced to the best looking restaurant that served said Tarte Flambée.

But, as it is quite close from where I live now, I'll be here more often on weekends, and maybe even spend some days of vacation here, biking, relaxing, loading up batteries and... well of course, eat heavenly food.

• Last visit to Wissembourg: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Another lovely page! We did try Flammkueche for the first time when in Strasbourg and both of us liked it.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2013 at 4:27 AM

Hello Ingrid, you remind me that I haven't been back to Wissembourg for many years. I've never been to Chateau Fleckenstein and didn't know that they have medieval sound effects from loudspeakers.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Apr 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM

Thanks dear Don for having virtually walked through Wissembourg :-)) I realised that I could check if the restaurant is still in operation :-) They are and have a website now. Sunday hugs and smiles :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Thats a nice town in Alsace, Ingrid, and a great place to enjoy Flammküchle !

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 4:23 AM

What a pretty little place - and yummy food. Tarte Flambee sounds delicious!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Always nice to happen upon one of your pages I had missed, especially one with such a tasty restaurant tip. :)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM

Stayed here for the Pentecost Festival. Beautiful little town in a pretty area with plenty of nearby places to see for people of all sorts of interests. Tarte Flambee is, of course, a must.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Gute Tipps, wie immer. Wissembourg ist so eine schöne, kleine Stadt.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Hello, Ingrid! Very nice and picturesque village.... Thanks for your story!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Ingrid fabulous little page about this famous city in the Alsace. See you next weekend.

• Jul 18, 2008 at 12:35 AM

i never saw this page before ingrid! haha, still always new discoveries on vt! what a charming little town this is, and the flambee.... my god, i could so scoff one of them down now!

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Wissembourg

Have you been to Wissembourg?