"Amazing rock castle - for the knights and damsels" Ruine Alt-Dahn by Trekki

Ruine Alt-Dahn Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos

The village of Dahn in southern Palatinate Forest (Pfälzerwald) is an ideal base to explore the magic of this part of Germany. Not without a reason this is called Dahner Felsenland, Dahn Rock Country. Pink Sandstone and erosion are the building masters of all these rock formations. But it is not only these rocks which make the region so interesting but also the many castles that were built here in medieval times. The majority of these are rock castles, with stairs and rooms carved into the soft rocks.

Altdahn Castle is one of the biggest rock castles in Palatinate Forest, in fact it is consisting of three individual castles on the rock mountain range. We were here on a lovely Saturday in July 2011 during the yearly medieval Castle Festival (Dahner Burgfest).

If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip
=> here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Ruine Alt-Dahn: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 3:23 AM

The ruins look great and I would love to be there when the medieval market is on!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hello, Ingrid! I feel it would be great to explore that ancient castle and the ruins... Thanks for your comprehensive tips)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Hi Ingrid, thanks for posting VT's first and only page on the Alt-Dahn castle ruins. These look really fascinating and are not even terribly far away from here -- about halfway between Karlsruhe and Saarbrücken.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 12:17 PM

The castle ruins look so atmospheric and the medieval festival sounds such fun, but what I loved most on this page were your close-up photos of the sandstone - so beautiful and so easy to over-look!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2011 at 12:38 PM

What an interesting ruin of the castle! Sometimes ruins are more interesting than modern their reconstructions. Unfortunately Pfalz is my least explored part of Germany, because SV BSZS has never been held there since 1999 when we began to take part in it

• lucy321's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Yes, I can vouch for the fact that the ladder is scary! And the pink stone that characterises so many of the buildings of the region is very lovely.

• Jul 25, 2011 at 7:12 PM

my first rate of a page under the new vt. while i love your page, i don't think i liked the layout of the new vt - or maybe just some time to get used to it. i couldnt even find where to leave this comment at first! haha. but job well done - a castle i'd

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2011 at 2:36 AM

Looks gorgeous, a bit like a red Elbsandsteingebirge. Sounds like fun too, I'll be sure to wear my Birkenstocks for the ladders. ;P Nice to see you're finding some nice things close to home too.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2011 at 1:47 AM

It looks like you had a fun weekend in the beautiful Palatinate mountains.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM

The main picture with the ruins of the castle and the setting somehow reminds of Machu Picchu, don't you think? :) Great event, and yes, I see some future balestriera here :) You should send the picture to your balestrieri in Gubbio :)

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Ruine Alt-Dahn

Have you been to Ruine Alt-Dahn?