"Amazing rock castle - for the knights and damsels" Ruine Alt-Dahn by Trekki
Ruine Alt-Dahn Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 23 photos
The village of Dahn in southern Palatinate Forest (Pfälzerwald) is an ideal base to explore the magic of this part of Germany. Not without a reason this is called Dahner Felsenland, Dahn Rock Country. Pink Sandstone and erosion are the building masters of all these rock formations. But it is not only these rocks which make the region so interesting but also the many castles that were built here in medieval times. The majority of these are rock castles, with stairs and rooms carved into the soft rocks.
Altdahn Castle is one of the biggest rock castles in Palatinate Forest, in fact it is consisting of three individual castles on the rock mountain range. We were here on a lovely Saturday in July 2011 during the yearly medieval Castle Festival (Dahner Burgfest).
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip
=> here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
The castle ruins Altdahn are situated in the eastern part of Dahn village. Parking spaces are available at the end of... more travel advice
Please, no matter how fun-looking these castles might seem to be, bring appropriate shoes with good grip on the soles.... more travel advice
Trekki's Related Pages
Ruine Alt-Dahn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amazing rock castle - for the knights and damsels"
- Create a Ruine Alt-Dahn Travel Page
- Things to Do in Ruine Alt-Dahn
- Transportation in Ruine Alt-Dahn
- Warnings and Dangers in Ruine Alt-Dahn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruine Alt-Dahn
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Ruine Alt-Dahn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruine Alt-Dahn
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have you ever experienced an..."
- Commented on one of Trekki's Ruine Alt-Dahn travel pages
- updated a Ruine Alt-Dahn Travel Page "Amazing rock castle - for the knights and damsels"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Medieval market on Dahn Castles in July"
- Wrote a Review How to get to Dahn and the castles in Ruine Alt-Dahn Transportation
Photos in Ruine Alt-DahnSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues