"Benediktbeuern, marvellous monastery and more" Benediktbeuern by Trekki
Benediktbeuern Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 70 photos
Benediktbeuern is Bavaria’s oldest monastery. It was founded early 8th century and consecrated by St. Bonifaz. During its heydays it was very famous for any kind of education connected to writing and research. After secularisation it had the fate of several other monasteries and was used for military. Luckily the buildings and especially the church were never destroyed. Since approx. 1930 it was bought by Salesians Don Bosco and is now an important centre for any kind of youth work and education, including a university.
Webcam of several parts of Benediktbeuern with the following viewing options:
Blick Kloster Innenhof = view oft he main monastery courtyard ,
Blick vom Klosterturm = view from the monastery tower,
Blick Kirche Innen Basilika = view inside the basilica/church,
Blick auf Alpenwarmbad = view oft the public bath,
Gigapixel Panorama Richtung Süd/West = panorama south/west
Gigapixel Panorama Richtung Süd/Ost = panorama south/east.
But it is not only the monastery which makes this part of Bavaria worth a visit. The mountains of the Alps rise above the village and especially Benediktenwand makes a nice backdrop for photos. Close by is another hidden gem of Bavaria: the Open Air Museum of Glenleiten.
In the meantime I visited this open air museum hand wrote a separate page about it.
If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
When I entered Benediktbeuren’s church I was completely astonished of the size and height. And I realised that the thick... more travel advice
When it comes to inventions and discoveries in natural science, especially ones that influenced industrial revolution, I... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
“Benediktbeuern’s main courtyard”
Written May 9, 2016
Details of the church
Trekki's Related Pages
Benediktbeuern Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Benediktbeuern, marvellous monastery and more"
- Create a Benediktbeuern Travel Page
- Things to Do in Benediktbeuern
- Transportation in Benediktbeuern
- Restaurants in Benediktbeuern
- Shopping in Benediktbeuern
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Benediktbeuern
- 13 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Benediktbeuern?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benediktbeuern
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet 2017"
- updated a Benediktbeuern Travel Page "Benediktbeuern, marvellous monastery and more"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Benediktbeuern travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Benediktbeuern, marvellous monastery and more"
- Wrote a Review Benediktbeuern’s church: a Basilika Minor in Benediktbeuern Things to Do
Photos in BenediktbeuernSee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 119 reviews, 464 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 96 reviews, 434 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 404 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 321 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 73 reviews, 326 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 64 reviews, 242 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues