"Benediktbeuern, marvellous monastery and more" Benediktbeuern by Trekki

Benediktbeuern Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 70 photos

Benediktbeuern is Bavaria’s oldest monastery. It was founded early 8th century and consecrated by St. Bonifaz. During its heydays it was very famous for any kind of education connected to writing and research. After secularisation it had the fate of several other monasteries and was used for military. Luckily the buildings and especially the church were never destroyed. Since approx. 1930 it was bought by Salesians Don Bosco and is now an important centre for any kind of youth work and education, including a university.

Webcam of several parts of Benediktbeuern with the following viewing options:
Blick Kloster Innenhof = view oft he main monastery courtyard ,
Blick vom Klosterturm = view from the monastery tower,
Blick Kirche Innen Basilika = view inside the basilica/church,
Blick auf Alpenwarmbad = view oft the public bath,
Gigapixel Panorama Richtung Süd/West = panorama south/west
Gigapixel Panorama Richtung Süd/Ost = panorama south/east.

But it is not only the monastery which makes this part of Bavaria worth a visit. The mountains of the Alps rise above the village and especially Benediktenwand makes a nice backdrop for photos. Close by is another hidden gem of Bavaria: the Open Air Museum of Glenleiten.
In the meantime I visited this open air museum hand wrote a separate page about it.

If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Benediktbeuern: Jul 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 21, 2013

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Another great find, Ingrid. Great photos as always.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Sep 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Thank you thank you :-) Welcome Kate :-) Ok for the other third of the open air museum day? The third third will be Dießen

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
      Sep 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Sure is OK.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM

We go to Munich area in May-but no time to visit here on our way to Schongau. Thanks for the visit and nice pictures, though to let us know what will be missed.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

wow, what a great monastery ! That is certainly a great place to visit next summer for me !

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 8:39 AM

The ceiling paintings are gorgeous and let alone capture my complete attention, but the detailing that goes along in framing the paintings is just as gorgeous. The churches alters is just as special. There is something so special in visiting places like these because of the peace that surrounds it. Excellent page because I learned many new things. Thanks Ingrid!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Hi Ingrid,
    great page about this beautiful place! It was funny to read that you disliked asam church in Munich, too ;-) I love your pictures here and share your love for Camina Burana. I was lucky to see a live performance of the local choir last year with family members involved. Did you see that parts of the lyrics are in Middle High German? And I love the Fortuna illustration :-)
    Thanks for this nice tour!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Wow! Lovely page, and your photo's are excellent. I particularly love the ones of the frescoes, gee they are beautiful, and your opening photo of the Monastery!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Gosh, this is such a big monastery it is hard to take in! I think I prefer some of the little churches you have shown us recently, but I can see that this one is very impressive, and I loved some of the details. It was fascinating to learn about Fraunhofer - all totally new to me, I'm afraid! And your Kaffeepause looks just perfect, and I love the sound of the Butterbrot-Blüten :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Hi Ingrid, I never realized that Fraunhofer’s lab was out there in the countryside among all those churches and monasteries. I have never quite understood how the absorption lines work, though I think they make it possible to determine the chemical composition of distant stars – or am I thinking of emission lines?

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I love the small stores in monasteries, especially the flower and gardening one looks great.

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Benediktbeuern

Have you been to Benediktbeuern?