"Bingen: hub to the Rhein Valley and more :)" Top 5 Page for this destination Bingen am Rhein by Trekki

Bingen am Rhein Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 284 photos

Bingen is an excellent base to explore the famous and UNESCO protected Rhein Valley with the many castles. But it is more than this, a nice wine town at Rhein River and with several interesting sights to see and events.

Although I haven't explored enough of the town itself, I am describing the castles and the possible boat trips on this page, inlcuding some nearby sights to visit.

If you wish to, follow my suggested tour and start with the first to-do tip here and continue by following the respective links at the end of each tip. At the end, I link back to my intro page.

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Last visit to Bingen am Rhein: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Great tips and lovely pictures Ingrid. Certainly an option for any future return to Deutschland.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Oct 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hi Stephen :-) Thanks :-)) But in summer only, because then the boat runs more frequently :-)) And it is lovelier, the whole vegetation and all that :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Good advice for people wanting to explore the Rhine Valley by ship and/or train. I agree that the Niederwalddenkmal is a tourist trap. Good that you mentioned the Abbey of St. Hildegard as an alternative (though that link is no longer working). Did you know that St. Hildegard invented a language she called Lingua Ignota (unknown language) and an alphabet called Litterae Ignotae (unknown letters)? She claimed her new language was a result of divine revelation.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM

What a lovely page that brought back happy memories. Those Fireworks are ones I will remember for ever! I really enjoyed reading the legends of the different Castle's

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 12:21 PM

So now I can discover some things we missed seeing while on the Rhine - but also you have reminded me of much that I enjoyed there :-) And maybe we will go back - I would love to see Rhein in Flammen having seen your great photos, and to eat at Rheinstein

• Jul 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM

fairytale fireworks and fantasy castles - my oh my i wanna come back!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Father Rhein, the wine, the castles - this does bring back memories.It way a must-do whenever we had visitors when I was a child. Excellent tips on transportation!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Worth the wait! :-) Excellent information and descriptions. We only sprinted through the Bingen train station to catch our connecting train this year, but we'll be back... :-) Cheers, Mark

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Gotta love a place that has more types of wine than food choices. I sure like it in a brewery...like cheese with music to my ears. ;) Have not had ice wine but have had ice bock, even ice weizenbock most recently.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM

I thought if I waited any longer I'd turn into a tree! :)) So I broke in and enjoyed your marvellous tips on Rhine castles. Have to agree about the tourist trap, but when you finish this page can we please have something on the Abbey of Bingen?

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Loved your tip about Niederwalddenkmal - the Germania trap. We have many such symbols in the USSR after WWII and such statues are many times bigger than yours one. It's difficult to solve what they are - pieces of art or pieces of politics...

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Bingen am Rhein

Have you been to Bingen am Rhein?