"Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist" Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt by Trekki

Darmstadt Travel Guide: 205 reviews and 657 photos

Darmstadt – what shall I say. I currently still live here and have worked here for approximately 24 years. I lived here because of work, and now it is time to move on.

Maybe this is why I never really considered the town as a traveller destination, although I tried my best to see it through travellers’ eyes. It has some nice sights to see, yes. But overall, it is expensive in almost every aspect, especially compared to more famous towns with more sightseeing possibilities like Munich and London, cities I visit on a regular base. Nevertheless, I came to peace with the city. I found a small amount of shops I like, I found some nice restaurants (albeit some of my favourites are closed by now) and I have discovered the touristy side of the town. That is what I will write about. The not so good feelings about the town and the annoyances with traffic and high prices and attitudes I will level and forget them at a point in time because – by now they are transiently and will be gone as soon as I have left the town and live in a more sincere and beautiful environment where people, their needs and desires count and where money isn’t no. 1 in the heads of the officials. And where I am surrounded by a beautiful landscape and no longer by this flat unappealing setting.

Historical aspects of Darmstadt
The history of Darmstadt's surroundings dates back to 8th century when Eberstadt, now a southern suburb, was first mentioned in documents of the Lorsch’s monastery, at its time one of the oldest monasteries of Carolingian Empire.

In 1330 Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian of House of Wittelsbach chartered Darmstadt as city for the count of Katzenelnbogen, which included the right to hold markets. Hence the hamlet grew and gained significance. When Katzenelnbogen family died out mid of 15th century, the town fell to the landgraves of Hesse who took seat here. Later it was then appointed shire “Hessen-Darmstadt” and early 19th century Grand Duchy of Hesse.

.In early 20th century Ernst Ludwig, last Grand Duke of Hesse, established the Artists’ Colony on Mathildenhöhe, through which Darmstadt became a quite important centre of Art Nouveau in Germany. A lot of the buildings of this period still exist and Ernst-Ludwig-Haus is now an interesting museum featuring Art Nouveau.
More interesting landmarks are located on Mathildenhöhe: the Hochzeitsturm (marriage tower), now the symbol of Darmstadt and the Russian Chapel, commissioned by Tzar Nikolas II, who had married Alexandra, sister of Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig. Nearby Mathildenhöhe is a beautiful park called Rosenhöhe, also partly with Art Nouveau structures.

More to come soon – I am completely revising this page, especially considering that I started to write the majority of reviews back in 2004 when my English was sloppy and definitely not appropriate.

Darmstadt today

Today Darmstadt is being promoted as "City of Science" due to the accumulation of scientific institutes such as ESOC (European Space Operation Center), GSI (Helmholtz Institute for Heavy Ion Research), four Fraunhofer Institutes (IT specific functions), EUMETSAT (European Organisation for Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites) and several others. Headquarters of several international and European companies are located in the city such as Merck KGaA (chemical-pharmaceutical company and main provider for liquid crystals), Wella AG (Haircare), Carl Schenk AG (process engineering), Software AG (biggest European provider for software systems and solutions) and T-Online (said to be the biggest European internet provider).
The scientific significance is being expressed by the creation of chemical element Darmstadtium in the aforementioned GSI. In a way GSI can be considered as the “little sister” of CERN in Switzerland.

My contribution about Darmstadt on @Virtualtourist:
As of October 17, 2013, I have finished to completely revise this page, especially considering that I started to write the majority of reviews back in 2004 when my English was sloppy and definitely not appropriate.

Other pages about Darmstadt on @VT:

To my delight Don, @Nemorino wrote about his impressions of Darmstadt based on several visits, especially to its opera.

October 2005 I had two lovely guests staying at “Hotel Ingrid”. I am happy that Joan, @Scottishvisitor did find time afterwards to tell us her view of the city :-)

Make sure you also read what Tim, @Antistar suggests to see and visit when in Darmstadt.

****

All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
Thanks.

• Pros:Mathildenhöhe and the artists' colony are definitely worth a visit
  • Cons:Unfortunately Darmstadt's marketing is not really visitor oriented, especially when it comes to foreign visitors; strange opening hours, exceptionally high parking fees and a rather unattractive town centre
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Ingrid, I think it is very good that you have completely updated your Darmstadt page before moving on -- bringing that chapter to a close, so to speak.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Thank you dear Don for having read (and rated) my updated page :-)) It was not only to close the chapter but also because ... I saw increased traffic after I sent a specific job application. And since I used my pages to "prove" my English, I was embarrassed how sloppy it was in my old pages and .. how very negative I once was and wrote. I hope that the revised version "reads" better now :-) And I hope that this page does more justice to poor Darmstadt; it is not its fault that it was rebuilt so quick and ugly after the bombing..

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Hello, Ingrid! It's always great to read your comprehensive travel pages...Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Thank you dear Victor :-)) All I am doing here is "polishing" my old English :-)

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Back to read a bit more of this excellent page! I have to smile when reading about the 'parking police' and the post office. Seems like those departments are the same everywhere! Several years ago I sent a large Christmas package to my Brother but it was stolen most probably at the Philadelphia distribution center -- maddening and sad too because there were presents from our trip to Europe in it!! Irreplaceable!!

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Yes we can, but with that package I just insured it for a certain amount of $$ so they did reimburse me for some of the value. Since the P.O. could track it, they saw it was never "scanned out" of Philadelphia or into the city it was being sent to so they knew that's where it went missing. The P.O. has gotten worse and worse. We most often send packages now by UPS and FedEx which are always reliable! Pretty sad state of affairs though the way things are going.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:20 AM

Oh my god, that is even worse!!! That is why I loathe this modern so-called "management" which is filled with greed at the top and underpaid people at the bottom of the system - like cancer it gorges through almost anything today, especially the state things.....

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Very impressive page, Ingrid. I appreciate your very honest introduction page information. Lots of historical and interesting places. I will be back to finish reading all the pages.

Sep 1, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Thank you Sylvia for having started with my descriptions of this city :-)) And for your nice words :-) Well, it is really becoming worse and worse with the prices and the "entertainment" and I was surprised to hear an official saying almost the same things about the city's marketing: overpriced and incompetent...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Hello, Ingrid. I’ve just been trying to catch up on some of your updates and new tips on your Darmstadt page since January 2011. See you at the Glühwein meeting next Saturday!

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Hi Don :-)) Thanks so much for having read and rated my newest additions. Although I hardly put any work in this page.
      Oh yes, in case Brenda and Tom go, I will ask for a lift :-)

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Very interesting take on your city. In doing research I have found that some of my family was originally from Darmstadt. It is a place that I would like to visit one day in my trek to see where "I" came from. Thanks..

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Oh, welcome Herkbert :-)) That's interesting!! Let me know what you found out about your family and I try to find out where you came from. It is not my city, I just live here and don't really like it. Too buerocratic and ... complicated :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for the intersting tour of your home city. Good to see that you found plenty of interest to write about. My favorite is the Rococco garden and architecture, and the other gardens too! I just wish I could grow Kalmia latifolia in my garden. It is one of the most pretty flowers I have seen! The traffic lights sound annoying, luckily, most of ours are set for a good run. That baked potato with all the sour cream, mmm, might be baked potato this weekend, we both love them!

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Thanks Dee for having taken the trouble to walk through the city where I currently live (= not home town, I can't call this city home town...) But yes, there are some nice sights to see :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Great updates since January of far 2007 when I read this page for the first time! Darmstadt, Moscow and Jerusalem bound by tragic fate of Elisabeth Alexandra Luise Alice von Hessen-Darmstadt (have a look at my mail)…

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Loved the story about the wedding cup. Wonderful story . . . so romantic.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Hello, Ingrid! ><><><>< Thanks for your page! I would like to explore those places, too! Very attracting! Vielen Dank!

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Darmstadt

Have you been to Darmstadt?

Photos in Darmstadt