"Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist" Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt by Trekki
Darmstadt Travel Guide: 206 reviews and 665 photos
Darmstadt – what shall I say. I currently still live here and have worked here for approximately 24 years. I lived here because of work, and now it is time to move on.
Maybe this is why I never really considered the town as a traveller destination, although I tried my best to see it through travellers’ eyes. It has some nice sights to see, yes. But overall, it is expensive in almost every aspect, especially compared to more famous towns with more sightseeing possibilities like Munich and London, cities I visit on a regular base. Nevertheless, I came to peace with the city. I found a small amount of shops I like, I found some nice restaurants (albeit some of my favourites are closed by now) and I have discovered the touristy side of the town. That is what I will write about. The not so good feelings about the town and the annoyances with traffic and high prices and attitudes I will level and forget them at a point in time because – by now they are transiently and will be gone as soon as I have left the town and live in a more sincere and beautiful environment where people, their needs and desires count and where money isn’t no. 1 in the heads of the officials. And where I am surrounded by a beautiful landscape and no longer by this flat unappealing setting.
Historical aspects of Darmstadt
The history of Darmstadt's surroundings dates back to 8th century when Eberstadt, now a southern suburb, was first mentioned in documents of the Lorsch’s monastery, at its time one of the oldest monasteries of Carolingian Empire.
In 1330 Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian of House of Wittelsbach chartered Darmstadt as city for the count of Katzenelnbogen, which included the right to hold markets. Hence the hamlet grew and gained significance. When Katzenelnbogen family died out mid of 15th century, the town fell to the landgraves of Hesse who took seat here. Later it was then appointed shire “Hessen-Darmstadt” and early 19th century Grand Duchy of Hesse.
.In early 20th century Ernst Ludwig, last Grand Duke of Hesse, established the Artists’ Colony on Mathildenhöhe, through which Darmstadt became a quite important centre of Art Nouveau in Germany. A lot of the buildings of this period still exist and Ernst-Ludwig-Haus is now an interesting museum featuring Art Nouveau.
More interesting landmarks are located on Mathildenhöhe: the Hochzeitsturm (marriage tower), now the symbol of Darmstadt and the Russian Chapel, commissioned by Tzar Nikolas II, who had married Alexandra, sister of Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig. Nearby Mathildenhöhe is a beautiful park called Rosenhöhe, also partly with Art Nouveau structures.
More to come soon – I am completely revising this page, especially considering that I started to write the majority of reviews back in 2004 when my English was sloppy and definitely not appropriate.
Today Darmstadt is being promoted as "City of Science" due to the accumulation of scientific institutes such as ESOC (European Space Operation Center), GSI (Helmholtz Institute for Heavy Ion Research), four Fraunhofer Institutes (IT specific functions), EUMETSAT (European Organisation for Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites) and several others. Headquarters of several international and European companies are located in the city such as Merck KGaA (chemical-pharmaceutical company and main provider for liquid crystals), Wella AG (Haircare), Carl Schenk AG (process engineering), Software AG (biggest European provider for software systems and solutions) and T-Online (said to be the biggest European internet provider).
The scientific significance is being expressed by the creation of chemical element Darmstadtium in the aforementioned GSI. In a way GSI can be considered as the “little sister” of CERN in Switzerland.
My contribution about Darmstadt on @Virtualtourist:
As of October 17, 2013, I have finished to completely revise this page, especially considering that I started to write the majority of reviews back in 2004 when my English was sloppy and definitely not appropriate.
Other pages about Darmstadt on @VT:
To my delight Don, @Nemorino wrote about his impressions of Darmstadt based on several visits, especially to its opera.
October 2005 I had two lovely guests staying at “Hotel Ingrid”. I am happy that Joan, @Scottishvisitor did find time afterwards to tell us her view of the city :-)
Make sure you also read what Tim, @Antistar suggests to see and visit when in Darmstadt.
All pictures have been taken by me, if not marked otherwise.
Please do not use any of them without my permission.
The same applies for my writings here.
- Pros:Mathildenhöhe and the artists' colony are definitely worth a visit
- Cons:Unfortunately Darmstadt's marketing is not really visitor oriented, especially when it comes to foreign visitors; strange opening hours, exceptionally high parking fees and a rather unattractive town centre
My most favourite place to buy highest quality regional produce and have some organic snacks in Darmstadt is Hofgut... more travel advice
Early 2011 I have read a review about this restaurant in our local newspaper and immediately a colleague and I decided... more travel advice
- See All Letters and cards vanish sometimes..
- See All Jugendstilbad – pamper yourself
- See All Charming Gross-Umstadt to the east
- See All Hey, tourist office: do some benchmark...
- See All Flower magic at Goldner
Written Mar 3, 2007
Lunar Eclipse - March 4, 2007 :-))
Written Jun 11, 2009
Daytrip suggestion: Nahe river valley
Written Aug 18, 2008
Daytrip suggestion: Boat trip on Rhein river
Written Oct 3, 2013
My personal "must visit" list, before I leave
Trekki's Related Pages
Darmstadt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist"
- "Darmstadt: a City of Surprises"
- "Opera and Cycling in Darmstadt"
- "Exploring & discovring a jewel off the beaten path"
- "A Fleeting Look at Darmstadt"
- "Art Nouveau capital Darmstadt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darmstadt
- Hotels in Darmstadt
- Transportation in Darmstadt
- Nightlife in Darmstadt
- Restaurants in Darmstadt
- Shopping in Darmstadt
- Warnings and Dangers in Darmstadt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Darmstadt
- 63 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 70 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (151)
Have you been to Darmstadt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darmstadt
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Retrocation - a new trend?"
- Commented on one of Trekki's Darmstadt tips
- Wrote a Review High quality regional snacks and beverages in Darmstadt Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Luisenplatz - Darmstadt's main square"
- updated a Darmstadt Travel Page "Discovering Darmstadt with the eyes of a tourist"
Photos in DarmstadtSee All Photos (234)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 118 reviews, 473 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marburg an der Lahn Intro, 95 reviews, 429 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 108 reviews, 402 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 80 reviews, 404 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Land Rheinland-Pfalz Intro, 82 reviews, 315 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Intro, 58 reviews, 281 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Umbria Intro, 60 reviews, 264 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Intro, 63 reviews, 234 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Germany Intro, 83 reviews, 192 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 48 reviews, 222 photos, 9 travelogues