"Rheingau - wine - and a famous Abbey :-)" Eltville by Trekki

Eltville Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 28 photos

Eltville is one of the countless little wine villages along the Rhine Valley between Mainz and Koblenz.

It became quite famous also for another interesting location close by - Eberbach Abbey, Kloster Eberbach.

This is where parts of the movie The Name of the Rose with Sean Connery have been shot in 1986.
(my goodness, this movie is really more than 20 years old.... I wasn't aware until my guide told me today).

As I will visit the village of Eltville also one day, I will write about Eberbach Monastery on a separate page (Eichberg to be precise).

• Last visit to Eltville: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Looks like we both play the same game:)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Ingrid, the sad part is I too remember the fantastic "The Name of the Rose" movie! This is a small page, but it packs a powerful punch! One of these days, I must tour Germany.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hello Ingrid, I have read your descriptions of Kloster Eberbach, but I guess that was on another page. I saw La Traviata a week ago at the Frankfurt Opera, on one of my subscription nights, but the rest of the performances are sold out, I believe.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 9:41 AM

You are determined to get me to come and visit Eberbach, aren't you? LOL I have to see where that lovely jelly came from one day soon, naturally :-) And now that wonderful restaurant gives me another reason to want to visit ;-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Divine dumplings befitting such a divine place. Look forward to seeing some of these places (and eating some of these dishes) for myself one day. :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 9:08 AM

Such a delicious dumplings with chantarelles for such a low price! You won't find it in Moscow, haha! Thanks Ingrid for leading us to the little gems...

• Feb 25, 2008 at 10:27 PM

there seems to be many little hidden gems in germany, i hope one day to explore at least a few of them! the food looks yummo as well!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Two rose awards here Ingrid!!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 2:07 AM

That's a very tasty looking meal! Had I the time, I'd like to visit here - saw and really enjoyed the film (but it's hard to imagine 20 years!). :-)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 12:57 PM

I was enthralled with NAME OF THE ROSE when I read it--to think it was filmed here is fascinating! I would love to roam these halls...

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Badges & Stats in Eltville

Have you been to Eltville?

Latest Activity in Eltville