"The "W" hike in Torres del Paine National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Torres del Paine by amy312
Torres del Paine Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 353 photos
The "W" is a multi-day trek in Torres del Paine National Park. It's called the "W" because the trail makes the shape of a W, going up three valleys in the mountains to three great sites, the towers that give the park its name, the Valle del Frances (a beautiful valley surrounded by jagged peaks), and Glaciar Grey.
We had gorgeous views throughout our 6 days of hiking - of glaciars, open plains, mountains, turquoise lakes, and wildflowers (in late November). We had rainy days, sunny days, and got hailed on. Only the wind was constant.
This was our favorite day. If you can wait for good weather for one part of the hike, I'd recommend it for this over the Torres (close call though). Looking down the valley, you see a glacial-blue lake, looking left are the Cuernos, and to the right, a glaciar, where we saw this avalanche.
Warning - don't do this hike for the wildlife. We saw far more on a 4-hour hike near Laguna Verde (where we saw this austral parakeet, and several guanacos - more info under "Things to do") and on the drive back to Puerto Natales than during the entire "W" hike.
- Pros:stunning scenery, well-maintained trail system
- Cons:expensive, crowed refugios/campgrounds
One of the best places to see guanacos is on the bus ride into the Laguna Amarga park entrance. On the bus you go by... more travel advice
A gorgeous trip, but pricey. We took the boat from Refugio Grey to Hosteria Grey, about 2 - 2.5 hours in total on the... more travel advice
amy312's Related Pages
Torres del Paine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torres del Paine - serenity in Patagonia"
- "Torres Del Paine"
- "Trekking in Torres Park"
- "The "W" hike in Torres del Paine National Park"
- "Entre Torres y Cuernos / Between Towers and Horns"
- "Torres del Paine - off the beaten track"
- "Storyin Torres del Paine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torres del Paine
- Hotels in Torres del Paine
- Transportation in Torres del Paine
- Warnings and Dangers in Torres del Paine
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kuala Terengganu
- Big Pocono State Park Hotels
- Saint Louis
- Headlands Beach State Park Hotels
- Gelang Patah Hotels
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- Laguna Cajititlán Hotels
- Kota Kinabalu
- The Bahamas
- Atlantic City
- Undredal Hotels
- Pensacola Beach
- Point Judith Hotels
Badges & Stats in Torres del Paine
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Torres del Paine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torres del Paine
Photos in Torres del PaineSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Parque Nacional de Itatiáia Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torres del Paine Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Pantanal Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Estado de Goiás Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Estado de Minas Gerais Intro, 3 photos
- Estado de Mato Grosso Intro, 3 photos
- Serra dos Órgãos Intro, 3 photos
- Cochamó Intro, 3 photos
- Brasília Intro, 2 photos
No friends yet.
Latest Torres del Paine hotel reviews