"Kerry in the rain" County Kerry by evaanna

County Kerry Travel Guide: 995 reviews and 2,337 photos

When I was leaving for Ireland I had plans to do some sightseeing in Kerry on my own, but, not having a car or a driving licence, I would have had to join a tour from Killarney anyway so in the end I took a 12-hour tour to the Ring of Kerry from Cork with Bus Eireann. The price was reasonable - EUR 27.00 (children - EUR 18.00, OAPs/students - EUR 24.00), which of course did not include any extras like meals but for me the most important thing was to get there at all. The trip was very interesting and would have been even more so be it not for the rainy and foggy weather which set in as soon as we left Killarney. Unfortunately, we did not see Muckross House and Abbey near Killarney - the coach had been parked at the bus station so, apart from the main street with its colourful shops, we were not able to see much. The driver did say something about some problems with parking by the Abbey but it was little consolation.
Later we missed out on the best views of the islands, the fog engrossed them all. But even so the trip gave me an idea what the countryside of Kerry looks like. I loved the wilderness, the lush greenery dotted with masses of wild flowers or flowering shrubs, the fresh air and the great open spaces with mountains or the sea in the distance. If you take this trip, you must accept the risk that the sun may not shine on you. The driver didn't even stop at some places as the views were completely obscured by fog. Of course, if you travel by coach you cannot stop wherever you like so some of my pictures were taken from the coach window - I hope you will forgive me the reflections of light. I liked some of the scenery so much that I couldn't resist taking them - I could only do it like this or not at all. Many pictures were taken in the rain - from under my umbrella. I hope you enjoy them anyway and perhaps take better ones if you go on the tour in better weather.
This page does not include our first stop - at Macroom Castle, as it is still in County Cork and has been added to my County Cork page.

• Last visit to County Kerry: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2009

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

A lovely page Ewa! A pity it was foggy as it is such a beautiful drive. At least you have quite a few nice photo's to remember your time here.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Wonderful County Kerry travel pages. Killarney seems interesting to visit and explore especially the national park and the lakes. Thanks for sharing with such great photographs. ~ho & pang

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Excellent page Ewa! Good warning tip about being back on time. We watched first hand a bus driver drive away almost leaving some German tourist stranded at bus stop. They ran after the bus, and we all pleaded for him to stop. He did thankfully for them:)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2009 at 3:45 AM

Kerry Bog Village sure looks interesting to me. Looks like you enjoyed your bus tour Ewa and certainly nobody wants to be late and miss their bus.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2009 at 6:31 AM

Enjoyed Kerry Bog Village pics. We didn't see that when we were there, but we did have a photo "ghost" just as you did...at the Ring of Kerry! hmmmm

• donpaul77's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Kerry is such a beautiful place, even in the rain! Nice info on the Puck Fair. Thanks for visiting my Ireland pages. Whenever I hear about other people's Ireland trips, it gives the me the urge to book a flight!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 9:16 PM

You County of Kerry page remind me of this wonderful part of Ireland. I should some day build pages on it (we were mostly lucky with the weather!) but time is scarce ! Thanks for sharing ! Too bad you had such a foggy weather!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Eva the most important thing about Waterville is that a very important person was born there. I'm amazed you don't have a picture of the house where I was born :))

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Like your spirit [to enjoy yourself despite the weather]. Certainly loved the thatch roof structures, the flowers, the Charlie Chaplin statue, the pony photo, and the culture tip about the goat. Wonderful stuff.

• karcle's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2007 at 1:30 PM

thanks for freakin me out lol

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Badges & Stats in County Kerry

Have you been to County Kerry?