"Kerry in the rain" County Kerry by evaanna
County Kerry Travel Guide: 995 reviews and 2,337 photos
When I was leaving for Ireland I had plans to do some sightseeing in Kerry on my own, but, not having a car or a driving licence, I would have had to join a tour from Killarney anyway so in the end I took a 12-hour tour to the Ring of Kerry from Cork with Bus Eireann. The price was reasonable - EUR 27.00 (children - EUR 18.00, OAPs/students - EUR 24.00), which of course did not include any extras like meals but for me the most important thing was to get there at all. The trip was very interesting and would have been even more so be it not for the rainy and foggy weather which set in as soon as we left Killarney. Unfortunately, we did not see Muckross House and Abbey near Killarney - the coach had been parked at the bus station so, apart from the main street with its colourful shops, we were not able to see much. The driver did say something about some problems with parking by the Abbey but it was little consolation.
Later we missed out on the best views of the islands, the fog engrossed them all. But even so the trip gave me an idea what the countryside of Kerry looks like. I loved the wilderness, the lush greenery dotted with masses of wild flowers or flowering shrubs, the fresh air and the great open spaces with mountains or the sea in the distance. If you take this trip, you must accept the risk that the sun may not shine on you. The driver didn't even stop at some places as the views were completely obscured by fog. Of course, if you travel by coach you cannot stop wherever you like so some of my pictures were taken from the coach window - I hope you will forgive me the reflections of light. I liked some of the scenery so much that I couldn't resist taking them - I could only do it like this or not at all. Many pictures were taken in the rain - from under my umbrella. I hope you enjoy them anyway and perhaps take better ones if you go on the tour in better weather.
This page does not include our first stop - at Macroom Castle, as it is still in County Cork and has been added to my County Cork page.
Walking along the streets of Killarney you can't miss their wonderful window displays. I didn't have enough time to... more travel advice
When I browsed through my pictures taken during the trip to Kerry, I found a strange thing. If you look at this picture,... more travel advice
evaanna's Related Pages
County Kerry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One of the best parts of Ireland's West-coast"
- "Kerry in the Green"
- "County Kerry – more than only Ring of Kerry!"
- "Going back to my Kerry Roots"
- "Dingle Peninsula"
- "Kerry in the rain"
- "County Kerry, The Heart of Ireland!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Kerry
- Hotels in County Kerry
- Transportation in County Kerry
- Nightlife in County Kerry
- Restaurants in County Kerry
- Shopping in County Kerry
- Warnings and Dangers in County Kerry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Kerry
- 15 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to County Kerry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Kerry
- Posted in Travel Nowa Wies Forum "Re: Traveling to Poland in August"
- updated a County Kerry Travel Page "Kerry in the rain"
- Commented on one of Ekaterinburg's County Kerry travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "On to Kenmare - the coast in the fog"
- Wrote a Review Killarney - a shoppers' paradise in County Kerry Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue