"Around the primeval forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Bialowieza by evaanna
Bialowieza Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 134 photos
The first time I went to Bialowieza was with my school trip many years ago. I was twelve and enjoyed the 20 km walk around the primeval forest very much. I remember having to climb over enormous trees that had fallen blocking our way. The National Park rules would not allow them to be removed.
I promised myself to go back there and in 2000 we took an English visitor on a day trip to see the bisons. The amazing thing about this great unique area was that even in high season there were hardly any tourists where one would expect crowds.
A year later we decided to visit this miracle of nature again. This time we made the mistake of visiting the place in extremely hot weather. The 20 km walk was out of the question - even more, any walk in the forest was out of the question. The still air and the heat had activated the insects - not only the mosquitoes but also the much bigger gadflies and many other rare species, not that we cared about how rare they were when they stung us...
We stayed at Gruszki (literally: pears) a small village on the edge of the forest, but not at the forester's house as we had planned - the flies had driven us away to a more civilised hunting lodge, which was much more expensive but also cleaner. It wasn't the time for hunting and we were the only visitors there for the first three days. The forest, though not the strict nature reserve, was at hand. And it was there, in that place, so overshadowed as to be completely dark, that we encountered the masses of insects for the first time. Try avoiding the forest when it's all around you but this is exactly what we were forced to do. There were no insect-repellents in the only shop in the village. Worse, there was hardly any food to be bought there. We couldn't believe it - we didn't want to travel the 18 or so kilometres to Bialowieza just to get some bread. We limited our stay to just four days, but I still think the experience was worth the sacrifice. You will see why from my tips.
This year a cousin of mine went to Bialowieza with her friends to welcome the New Year. They have given me permission to use their pictures, which are the more valuable that they show the place in winter. Many thanks!
Photograph: courtesy of Hanna Gesciak-Wojciechowska
- Pros:A chance to see fantastic primeval forest with its wildlife: the European bison, the wolf, the lynx and many more
- Cons:Masses of aggressive insects in hot weather, problems with provisions
- In a nutshell:A unique experience
I have never been to Bialowieza in the winter but this year my cousin went there with her friends for the New Year's... more travel advice
The stalls and individual sellers just outside the Bison Reserve are well-worth a look. Selling the local handicraft:... more travel advice
Written Apr 17, 2007
Windmills, thatched cottages and more
Written Jan 9, 2010
Winter in Bialowieza
evaanna's Related Pages
Bialowieza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bialowieza ~ Bialowieski National Park"
- "Around the primeval forest"
- "BIALOWIEZA - the wilderness in Poland"
- "Bialowieza - oak trees, European bisons and UNESCO"
- "BIALOWIEZA NATIONAL PARK"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bialowieza
- Hotels in Bialowieza
- Restaurants in Bialowieza
- Shopping in Bialowieza
- Warnings and Dangers in Bialowieza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bialowieza
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Bialowieza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bialowieza
- Posted in Travel Krakow Forum "Re: TRAIN OR PLANE FROM WARSAW TO..."
- Wrote a Review Watch the bison while you can in Bialowieza Favorites
- updated a Bialowieza Travel Page "Around the primeval forest"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The European Bison Show Reserve"
- Commented on one of evona's Bialowieza travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 103 reviews, 347 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mazury Intro, 58 reviews, 270 photos, 8 travelogues
- Suwalki Intro, 34 reviews, 174 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vilnius Intro, 39 reviews, 144 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vysoke Tatry Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 25 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oxford Intro, 44 reviews, 84 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hel Intro, 28 reviews, 100 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lowicz Intro, 13 reviews, 105 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuznica Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 1 travelogue